Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #46
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
The name of the game with premium phones is apps/convenience. Tap on the Play Store icon and get just about everything under the sun you want to play with.

Amazon presented itself as being able to compete with Google, and didn't come close.

Buying an expensive piece of technology is bad enough, what with having to figure out how to work it. Then you can't get the apps you want on it? Oh Hell NO! LOL.

I'm not tech illiterate despite being a baby boomer, I've worked with pcs for over 30 years. But for the most part, I want to get something that works straight out of the box. Which my Samsung Note 2 did/does. I add an app and it works. I probably STILL don't know half of what my phone is capable of.

But so long as I can put my Kindle/Moonreader+ apps and books and my music on it, I'm a happy camper!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #47
ou4read
ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen.
I strongly hope they consider installing e-ink screen on the back like Yotaphone. Quite a few reviewers lamented when they saw Yotaphone that it was a missed opportunity for Amazon. It's not hard to imagine why. First, Amazon is known for its e-book store. Sell the device, bundle a subscription to Amazon Prime, and people will soon get entangled to their ecosystem, not to mention those already knees deep in it. Second, they have been manufacturing e-ink devices. It means they will have fewer technical issues integrating the screen, and are in a position to negotiate cheaper prices from the screen vendors. One might worry about overshadowing existing Kindle devices, but why not try first then worry later when/if the phone becomes a hit?
ou4read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou4read View Post
I strongly hope they consider installing e-ink screen on the back like Yotaphone... One might worry about overshadowing existing Kindle devices, but why not try first then worry later when/if the phone becomes a hit?
After the debacle that was the Fire phone and the jokes that were later made about weird features that were barely useful (Dynamic Perspective), I would imagine the Ice Phone will be a run-of-the-mill Android phone. If they're smart, it'll be a mid-tier or low cost, run-of-the-mill Android phone.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #49
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
It was not a good phone when it was released at a premium price.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #50
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Looks like Amazon has learned their lessons from the Fire phone. They're allegedly working on an Ice phone that runs Android rather than Fire OS and...

Here's the article from The Verge.

Here's a Forbes article.

They both seem to source from this Gadgets 360 article.
That Gadgets 360 article says the phone doesn't have Alexa. But a built-in, always listening Alexa app is the only thing I can think of that would make an Amazon phone worth consideration next to the glut of Android models already out there.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
That Gadgets 360 article says the phone doesn't have Alexa. But a built-in, always listening Alexa app is the only thing I can think of that would make an Amazon phone worth consideration next to the glut of Android models already out there.
Yes, but Android phones have a long and not so proud history of coming preloaded with manufacturer's apps. There's no reason Alexa couldn't be one of them. Also, Alexa is available in the Play store.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #52
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, but Android phones have a long and not so proud history of coming preloaded with manufacturer's apps. There's no reason Alexa couldn't be one of them. Also, Alexa is available in the Play store.
But the Alexa app doesn't have all the functionality of an Echo or Dot device ( or have I missed some update to the app?).
Old 06-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
But the Alexa app doesn't have all the functionality of an Echo or Dot device ( or have I missed some update to the app?).
I never use Alexa, so I can't say.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #54
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
The Alexa app is to control and interact with Alexa-enabled devices. It doesn't have Alexa skills as such.

You can, however, load third-party apps that connect to Alexa services, e.g.:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android.alexa

Alexa in its current form is not a replacement for a phone voice assistant. It would need to know how to interact with apps and data on the device.

This looks like a more promising technology for that purpose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rblb3sptgpQ&t=5s

Samsung bought ViV last year.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #55
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We probably would have bought the Fire phone had it not been tied to AT&T. Once the reviews started coming in, we knew we had dodged a bullet.

I was a huge Amazon fan, back in the day. Now, I don't recommmend their tablets to anyone. My dislike started when they broke the Fire 7" HDX with an update. I used that device all the time, and loved it for video and music. The update hosed the volume, and it was no longer loud enough to use without headphones.

Then I picked up the Fire HD 8.9" refurbished for my husband. I thought the problems were because he was new to touch screens, and I missed the return time frame. Turns out the thing is a real dog. So he got an iPad, and I used that Fire for videos. As it aged, apps become incompatible, so I picked up a refurb Fire 10". It's just ok, but only for Netflix and Prime video. It needs almost daily rebooting, and a couple of apps I use don't work dependably and need to be removed and reinstalled weekly.

IMO their tablets are garbage. Especially if you want to browse, email, and type anything.

I don't expect that 10" Fire to be as robust as my iPad Pro. But I do expect it to work without constant reboots and reinstalls. And it doesn't.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #56
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm on vacation, and I brought my Fire phone and my Fire HD6" tablet. They are fine for my uses. That said, I don't think I'd buy another fire product.

(Also brought 2 Kobo readers.)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nobody seems to have noticed that the article says that this is a very low-end device aimed at emerging markets such as India, not the west. If it exists at all, it's doubtful it would be sold in Europe or the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #58
Alohamora
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nobody seems to have noticed that the article says that this is a very low-end device aimed at emerging markets such as India, not the west. If it exists at all, it's doubtful it would be sold in Europe or the US.
Noticed, yes. But I'm thinking once they've launched successfully somewhere, they'll bring it to the US.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #59
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Amazon does offer 'Prime Exclusive Phones' (yes with 'Special Offers') for as low as $50:

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Exclusi...de=14613304011
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #60
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
So true!
So true!

I love my Echo Dot with Alexa!

My only question is how many should I have?

Last edited by frahse; 06-15-2017 at 11:36 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote