Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
MzTinaFL
MzTinaFL began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
replacement for iflowreader on iphone

I loved iflowreader app and am sorry to see it shutting down. I especially loved the following (in order of importance):
  • Autoscroll feature - it worked seamlessly and was easy to stop and go
  • day/night modes
  • hide settings
  • upload via web
  • ability to move book to hidden

I've tried the following, and none of these have all the features (or in the case of ereader pro the quality):

Ereader pro - the autoscroll is horrible, and I hate swiping right to left; but I do like the organization feature

Reader Lite - I think it has autoscroll, but can't seem to figure out how to make it work

Stanza - no autoscroll, but I am happy that I have the option of turning pages by tapping the left side. Not enthused about having to upload from my computer...really love web uploading best.

So is there a ereader software for iphone that will do everything I want? Or at least a autoscroll smoothly as iflowreader did.

Tina
MzTinaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Re: Stanza, you can use Calibre's content server or export catalog option to download books to your iOS device. I actually prefer using the content server over loading books through iTunes since I retain metadata that way (basically summaries, etc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
MzTinaFL
MzTinaFL began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Oh wow thank you for the info...I'm going to investigate it now!
MzTinaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzTinaFL View Post
I loved iflowreader app and am sorry to see it shutting down. I especially loved the following (in order of importance):
  • Autoscroll feature - it worked seamlessly and was easy to stop and go
  • day/night modes
  • hide settings
  • upload via web
  • ability to move book to hidden

I've tried the following, and none of these have all the features (or in the case of ereader pro the quality):

Ereader pro - the autoscroll is horrible, and I hate swiping right to left; but I do like the organization feature

Reader Lite - I think it has autoscroll, but can't seem to figure out how to make it work

Stanza - no autoscroll, but I am happy that I have the option of turning pages by tapping the left side. Not enthused about having to upload from my computer...really love web uploading best.

So is there a ereader software for iphone that will do everything I want? Or at least a autoscroll smoothly as iflowreader did.

Tina
It doesn't cover all the features you need.
But I've replaced iflow by bluefire. Huge advantage for me: DRMed ePUBs.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzTinaFL View Post
I don't upload to Stanza from my computer; I have created a dropbox ebook folder (private) with books I want to read, use the dropbox app to browse my books for a new book, and then select "open with Stanza". Once it's opened once, it remains in Stanza.

I don't know if this is better than computer-loading for you, but it is for me.

(If you don't have a free dropbox account, but want to give it a shot, here's a referral link to give both you and me some extra free space.)
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Hello,

I realize this is an old thread, but if you are still looking for an iFlow replacement, you might want to check out Tomes. I have a review on my website if you want to learn more about it from a former iFlow user.
http://www.geekintheforest.com/tomes-review/
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Hello,

I realize this is an old thread, but if you are still looking for an iFlow replacement, you might want to check out Tomes. I have a review on my website if you want to learn more about it from a former iFlow user.
http://www.geekintheforest.com/tomes-review/
Excellent review, Sue. I've also had Tomes (and before that, Bookshelf, and before that...it was called something else when you could only get it on Installer) but for some reason never registered that you could directly access the calibre server. Thats a big positive for me.

The only negative for me is that theres no side to side page turning. its auto scrolling, or manual scrolling. and I prefer side to side. There used to be I was sure, in its very early incarnations.

I'm just trying to make a switch to iBooks. Calibre talking to iTunes is a good thing.

uBooks is another that does autoscrolling. theres a lite version for free so you can try it out. again, no option for side to side so I wont pay to lose the ads or get extra features. It has a built in web server so you can upload direct via browser or ftp, or you can sideload through itunes. No talking to calibre, unless you have your catalog online somewhere. uBooks is very nicely presented though so worth a look if you like the scrolling thing.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-06-2012 at 07:55 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Thanks! I'm just curious... why is side to side page turning important to you? I can understand not liking autoscroll, but I don't get the appeal of having page breaks in an eBook.

I was planning to review uBooks and i2Reader next. Those are the only other auto-scroll ePub reading apps I know of for iOS. Also thinking of getting a Nexus 7 so I can see what Android has to offer... and because the iPad can be wrist-breaking at times.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Side to side is what I have become used to. Its what you do with regular books.

I bought i2reader and I'm now not sure why I bothered. Its customizable but a PITA to do it. I've deleted it from my apps collection.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoscroll software