Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #676
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Just joined the Goodreads group. Not sure how many I read this year (probably in the seventies or eighties - I didn't start properly using Goodreads until about halfway through this year so I don't know for certain - but it's been a tough year both academically and personally) but I think 100 is a fair goal for next year. I'm a pretty quick reader and with a year which will hopefully be far less stressful coupled with a four month summer holiday I'm pretty sure I can manage it
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #677
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Post FYI

The The 2012 Annual Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread! and The 2012 Annual Reading Challenge – List Thread! are now up.

Hope to see you all there.

Happy Reading
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #678
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Finally went in calibre and checked my total and updated my counter. Did a lot better than I thought - 141. I'm definitely in for next year. I did a lot of rereading this year. I'll keep my goal at 100 but will only count books I have not read before. Thanks Nyssa for organizing it for next year.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #679
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
Finally went in calibre and checked my total and updated my counter. Did a lot better than I thought - 141. I'm definitely in for next year. I did a lot of rereading this year. I'll keep my goal at 100 but will only count books I have not read before. Thanks Nyssa for organizing it for next year.
I'm happy to be a part of it all. Glad you'll be joining us. 141 books read is fantastic!
Don't forget to reserve a spot on the Annual Reading Challenge – List Thread, so that we can all count along with you.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #680
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I came here at the beginning of the year for info on an ereader, that's when I saw this challenge. I thought NUTS! No way can I read 100 in a year, but I decided to try. I set a goal of 50 for myself, which I thought was to high.

Just finished book 54 this morning. I am hoping to get to 56. Not to mention the 320+ issues of Avengers comics I have read this year. Don't think I am going to make all the way through the vol 1 run of Avengers by year end. Iron Man up for next year.

I have found having an ereader changes the way I read. It encourages more reading, because I always have books. Always behind.

The light in the Kindle cover really helps when your up at night rocking kids too. Then there is all the money I spent on books. Thats not just on ebooks, but used books on Amazon and other places.

Next year I start Game of Thrones, War of the Newts and City. I now understand why people plan a reading list. I am getting a bit obsessed.

Thanks for the challenge its been fun!
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #681
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
I came here at the beginning of the year for info on an ereader, that's when I saw this challenge. I thought NUTS! No way can I read 100 in a year, but I decided to try. I set a goal of 50 for myself, which I thought was to high.

Just finished book 54 this morning. I am hoping to get to 56. Not to mention the 320+ issues of Avengers comics I have read this year. Don't think I am going to make all the way through the vol 1 run of Avengers by year end. Iron Man up for next year.

I have found having an ereader changes the way I read. It encourages more reading, because I always have books. Always behind.

The light in the Kindle cover really helps when your up at night rocking kids too. Then there is all the money I spent on books. Thats not just on ebooks, but used books on Amazon and other places.

Next year I start Game of Thrones, War of the Newts and City. I now understand why people plan a reading list. I am getting a bit obsessed.

Thanks for the challenge its been fun!
I'm glad you had fun! I hope you join us in 2012 where you can "Choose your own" challenge.

Happy Reading!

~Nyssa
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #682
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
And DONE!!!

I know some of them may not "count" for most people, but they do for me.

Like the "Walking Dead" Hardback collections, yes they are comics, but 12 of them in a HB is around 300 or so pages, and they can be wordy at times.

http://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/26894
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #683
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
updating my goal!

I just updated my ticker for 2011 and have hit 143 books with over a week left in the year. So I decided to see if I can reach 150 books read by the last day of the year. Wish me luck. (In answer to the question - "so are you ready for the holiday?" - Of course not. I'm to busy reading! ) Happy Holidays everyone and hope you all have a new year of good reading.

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I'm at work, have been interrupted several times and don't know if I posted it already
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #684
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
That's almost a book a day!!! Good luck!!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #685
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So joined Goodreads last February, primarily for the purpose of tracking this challenge. I had seen mentioned that there was a way to get a page count for all books read, and I discovered the “stats” link for that purpose. Here's the problem though. My list of books read in 2011 currently stands at 112, but when I click the “stats” link this total is reduced to 85, with a page count I presume for these 85 books of 26,532. So why are the other 27 books read not included. It is no big deal, but it would be nice to have an accurate total page count for the year.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #686
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So joined Goodreads last February, primarily for the purpose of tracking this challenge. I had seen mentioned that there was a way to get a page count for all books read, and I discovered the “stats” link for that purpose. Here's the problem though. My list of books read in 2011 currently stands at 112, but when I click the “stats” link this total is reduced to 85, with a page count I presume for these 85 books of 26,532. So why are the other 27 books read not included. It is no big deal, but it would be nice to have an accurate total page count for the year.
All books have to have a "Date Read" date to be counted. You may want to double check. You may also have to actually update (or have a librarian update) the page numbers. ebooks are still notorious for being left at "0". I am a Good Reads librarian if you need any help, there.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #687
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
All books have to have a "Date Read" date to be counted. You may want to double check. You may also have to actually update (or have a librarian update) the page numbers. ebooks are still notorious for being left at "0". I am a Good Reads librarian if you need any help, there.
Thanks for that. I am sure that that is the problem. I entered many books read on the day I signed up for Goodreads, and looking see that that none have a date read entry. I will just set that. It will not be the correct exact date, but that is not important now. Karma for you.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #688
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Thanks for that. I am sure that that is the problem. I entered many books read on the day I signed up for Goodreads, and looking see that that none have a date read entry. I will just set that. It will not be the correct exact date, but that is not important now. Karma for you.

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the Karma!!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #689
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I kept a count via my Kindle and I've read about 50 this year, though I didn't really start keeping count til around the middle of the year and only got my Kindle 3 in mid-march so hopefully I'll do better in 2012.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #690
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
I have reached my goal of 100+ books this year with 128 as of 12/27/2011
I was delighted to find some wonderful new authors this time around. Sadly, there is a lot of crap in and among the paranormal and it's even worse in the Young Adult genre, but I've found a few writers that are new favorites and definite re-reads. The characters have become such good friends it is hard to believe we only just met this year! It was a year for mostly recreational reading with the exception of all the hours I've put in researching the Lyme disease our girls were diagnosed with, there were days I swear my eyes were bleeding and my heart was so heavy I was grateful to have my books in which to retreat.

This was the year in which I met and fell in love with Harry Dresden and Atticus Finch.
The year in which, because I had finished the Dresden files that I went looking for and met Mercedes Thompson, October Daye, Clary Chase,Kate Daniels and Rose Drayton.

This was yet another year for the familiar and beloved, I re-read the Harry Potter series in preparation for the Deathly Hallows and the end of a decade.

There were a few misses, I could not abide Steven Tyler's autobiography and never made it through Known and Unknown, not the First World War, though I intend to finish them at some point.

A couple of gems really stood out, Coop, A Year of Poultry, Pigs and Parenting, by Michael Perry. Get it, read it, love it. Also Bill Bryson's, I'm a Stranger Here Myself.
I almost peed my pants reading through his description of ice skating. Every time I pick one up I am reminded of why he is one of my all time most beloved writers.

I couldn't put down Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series and moved right into Book I of the Beyonders as well. I couldn't stand the little brother in the first two books but by the last, I was on the edge of my seat.

I really enjoy the challenges and am looking forward to 2012.

My GoodReads Bookshelf
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production