Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
A freebie for Canadians, with big strings attached.

Free copies of Robert J Sawyer books, but you have to jump through hoops to get them.

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/wind...nload-ie9.aspx
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I was so excited when the email offer for this showed up in my Hotmail account last weekend. Then I found out that my fairly recent-ish auxiliary just-for-Windows-running netbook couldn't go any higher than IE8.

Well, at least they seem to have put the entirety of RJS's "special introduction" on their "NO BOOK 4 U" page and I can always content myself with the more readily available Kobo-exclusive Special Edition of the third in the the trilogy, Wonder, which contains a bonus essay and short story.

I hope some of the other Canadian sf readers here will be able to take advantage of this, because hoop-jumping aside, these are really nice titles (Hugo nominated!) and a pretty good promotional gift for those few who qualify.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
I managed to get it on my Mac with Firefox and a fake user agent string. Thanks!
Wasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yay, it works!

Thank you so much!

ETA: Ooh, they've got a special launch/promo site for the trilogy where you can download wallpapers and stuff. Now I definitely have to buy the Wonder special edition with the bonus features when Kobo has another good coupon.

Last edited by ATDrake; 04-09-2011 at 02:30 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
This is the promotion page for the deal, from what I can tell: http://microsoft.penguin.ca/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Now I definitely have to buy the Wonder special edition with the bonus features when Kobo has another good coupon.
"Due to publisher restrictions Promo codes are not allowed for this product."
Andreiuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Free copies of Robert J Sawyer books, but you have to jump through hoops to get them.

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/wind...nload-ie9.aspx
A lot of hoops. Two ebooks combined into one and with no cover art makes me "Wonder" if it was worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I was so excited when the email offer for this showed up in my Hotmail account last weekend. Then I found out that my fairly recent-ish auxiliary just-for-Windows-running netbook couldn't go any higher than IE8.

Well, at least they seem to have put the entirety of RJS's "special introduction" on their "NO BOOK 4 U" page and I can always content myself with the more readily available Kobo-exclusive Special Edition of the third in the the trilogy, Wonder, which contains a bonus essay and short story.

I hope some of the other Canadian sf readers here will be able to take advantage of this, because hoop-jumping aside, these are really nice titles (Hugo nominated!) and a pretty good promotional gift for those few who qualify.
I found the email "A gift for Hotmail members", from the Windows Live Team, in my Hotmail Junk folder.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
A lot of hoops. Two ebooks combined into one and with no cover art makes me "Wonder" if it was worth the trouble.

I found the email "A gift for Hotmail members", from the Windows Live Team, in my Hotmail Junk folder.
Easy enough to add a cover, if you want. It does have an active TOC (even if it is only two entries, for the start of the two books).

And how many didn't get one at all? Or could not take advantage (I saw an estimate that 55% of windows users are still on XP, who can't install IE9).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreiuta View Post
"Due to publisher restrictions Promo codes are not allowed for this product."
That's because you are in the US - where Agency pricing rules. Those in Canada (a) see different prices and (b) don't have Agency pricing and can use coupons much more often.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
This is the promotion page for the deal, from what I can tell: http://microsoft.penguin.ca/
Thanks! That link worked - I couldn't work out the first one (already downloaded IE9) Never read any of his stuff but looking forward to it!
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think there was anything on the first page that led to the correct link. It was more of a consolation link for those in CA that didn't have IE.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We have agency pricing here in Canada--that is why most discount notices sent to us here by Email contain this clause "Discount code is valid for XXXX off any select eBook purchases excluding eBooks from HarperCollins UK, Hachette, Grand Central, Warner, and Little Brown."
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
re: cover art -- the ebook has the title page rendered as an image -- a quick invert and here's a quick attachment for anyone interested:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	69755  
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
We have agency pricing here in Canada--that is why most discount notices sent to us here by Email contain this clause "Discount code is valid for XXXX off any select eBook purchases excluding eBooks from HarperCollins UK, Hachette, Grand Central, Warner, and Little Brown."
Good to remember. It just seems the titles I check get to skip the Agency pricing there (or in the UK).