Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
threebluestars
threebluestars began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O 2nd Edition
Book titles not transferring properly to Kobo Aura H2O

I used to use Windows Explorer to side load everything to my Kobo Aura H2O, so to get the series name to show up in series books, I used to type it in the title box along with the book title. (EG. Harry Potter 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone).

I decided I wanted to use Calibre to transfer so I'd get the series name below like you do with regular kepubs. So I redid all 3000+ of my books with title, author, series name and number in the correct locations in Calibre, but I'm having some weird errors now when I send to device.

1) Non-series books are transferring with a dash in front, the title and the author name all on the title line. For example:

- Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Jane Austen

2) Series books are loading in like this:

Harry Potter 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter 1
J.K. Rowling

I am wondering if this has to do with how I set up Save to DISK.

{author_sort}/{title}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title} - {authors}

I'm using this string so that series books have the series name and number, title and author and standalones books have just the title and author. If I left out the | - then the stand alone books all had blank spaces and dashes (just like they're transferring over). It organizes really nicely in Windows Explorer, but I'm afraid it seems to be messing up send to device (which is set up as {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} ).

Can anyone help so I don't have to redo 3000+ books for the second time this week??
threebluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kobos don't use the filename template for their bookshelf (the index you see) , so that is just a file name

OTOH your template looks like my series index part
5.2 is because I use fractional series and proper ASCII sort compatibility

Code:
{series_index:0>5.2f|| - }{title}
01.03 - Crimson Worlds Collection

The Kobo driver can create Series info in the bookshelf, So I let the bookshelf (collections) do the heavy lifting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboCollect.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	176233   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboExtended.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	176235  

Last edited by theducks; 01-07-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: fixd wron img
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebluestars View Post
I used to use Windows Explorer to side load everything to my Kobo Aura H2O, so to get the series name to show up in series books, I used to type it in the title box along with the book title. (EG. Harry Potter 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone).

I decided I wanted to use Calibre to transfer so I'd get the series name below like you do with regular kepubs. So I redid all 3000+ of my books with title, author, series name and number in the correct locations in Calibre, but I'm having some weird errors now when I send to device.
So, you fixed the title after adding to calibre to be just "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" and the series as "Harry Potter" with index '1".
Quote:
1) Non-series books are transferring with a dash in front, the title and the author name all on the title line. For example:

- Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Jane Austen

2) Series books are loading in like this:

Harry Potter 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter 1
J.K. Rowling

I am wondering if this has to do with how I set up Save to DISK.

{author_sort}/{title}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title} - {authors}
As @theducks said, the Kobo devices do not use the file name for the metadata. So, if that is being used for the save template in the driver, then it has no affect on what you see when using the device. What it does look like is that you have a metadata plugboard that is setting the title. I would say that it looks something like:

Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s} - {title} - {authors}
The fix is to remove the metadata plugboard that does this. You do not need a metadata plugboard to set the title on a Kobo device.

I do recommend a metadata plugboard for the author. This is for multiple authors. Kobo devices do not read the author details in the best way from epubs. And they use a comma as the separator for multiple authors. The plugboard I recommend is to set the author using:

Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:55 AM   #4
threebluestars
threebluestars began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O 2nd Edition
I figured out the problem - the wrong Kobo extension was enabled. There were a few more plugins available since the last time I looked (and since getting a new ereader), and Calibre had one enabled that wasn't working with my reader. Once I switched it to the one that listed my reader the files transferred properly.
threebluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:29 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebluestars View Post
I figured out the problem - the wrong Kobo extension was enabled. There were a few more plugins available since the last time I looked (and since getting a new ereader), and Calibre had one enabled that wasn't working with my reader. Once I switched it to the one that listed my reader the files transferred properly.
What wrong plugin was enabled? Or do you mean that you were looking at the configuration for the wrong driver?

And for the record, every user installable plugin that has either "Kobo" or "kepub" in its name will work for all Kobo devices starting with the Touch and later. If they don't seem to be working, please find the thread for the plugin and report the error.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert