Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #31
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
no, not insecure at all, besides, in my opinion, one post on this issue (especially after all of yours) doesn't make a person defensive. just who are you to allege that i've not bothered to do something? you have no knowledge what i may or may not have done! finally, i don't mind you having an opinion about anything, i simply asked you politely to please quit stating your opinion on this issue as fact, to which you responded rudely with personal insults.
You politely asked? Uh huh... Your whole post was insulting. You self appointed yourself the spokesman for "most other folks" and gave yourself authority to decide what people should and should not write. Perhaps you should practice censoring what you read and not try to censor what other people write.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #32
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Probably not a brand sold around here which is why they are new to me. We have best buy and that's it.
Best Buy sells quite a few Lenovo laptops as does Office Depot. Lenovo sells their laptops under 2 broad brands. Lenovo is the consumer oriented line and Thinkpad is the professional one. Lenovo brand is generally available pretty much anywhere they carry electronics. I've only seen Thinkpads in three stores in the US, Fry's, MicroCenter and the Microsoft store. The Thinkpads are tough as nails. They are mil spec. Mine have been through stuff that killed my Macs in short order. Check this out.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/18/l...-in-new-spate/

Also here's a series of 4 YouTube videos. I've only linked the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lH07R0J9rY

Last edited by travfar; 09-03-2011 at 02:19 AM.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #33
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
a kindle you cant read in the sunlight.....theyve just trashed their one unique selling point with this product.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

To two individuals here: Take the debate off-site and do not clutter up this thread with your disagreements, arguments and counter-contentions.

Additionaly here are two options that can be exercised:

1) Put each other on "Ignore."
2) Click on the "Report" button.

MobileRead Moderation Team

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #35
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
Finally a Kindle thant won't be sandpaper for the eyes.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/
Huh. Are you referring to books being painful? Yes, I suppose cat videos would be easier on the eyes then. Obviously you aren't referring to appearance of grain/image particle makeup. That would make zero sense.

Edit: man, I always wind up inadvertently posting something snarky right after a moderator notice.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Huh. Are you referring to books being painful? Yes, I suppose cat videos would be easier on the eyes then. Obviously you aren't referring to appearance of grain/image particle makeup. That would make zero sense.
C'mon... you just know the Keyboard Cat video is going to make that Amazon Nookle screen simply pop with coolness!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #37
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Reading these posts i feel like i am watching the film "Mean Girls - The Tech Edition"
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The reason I can't get excited about a back-lit LCD-based ebook reader can be expressed in just two words.

Battery Life
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #39
Lalilulelo
Enthusiast
Lalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Battery life and the fooking glare! There must be a new e-ink Kindle right around the corner, unless the electronic-ink loving, ereader addicted Jeff Bezos we know has suddenly gone bonkers and is willing to cede Amazon's reign of the e-ink market to B&N and Kobo and Sony. (Getting the new Sony if no Kindle before christmas)

Quote:
Never heard of the company. Are they new? Thanks I'll keep an eye on it.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/18/len...o-3-pc-vendor/
Lalilulelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't know why it shouldn't be . It has a capacItive touch screen so you can turn the page by just touching left/right sides.
The review article said
Quote:
Some of the page-turning touch mechanics still needed a bit of work in the version I used.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by JainaSJedi View Post
Why? What's the big pull for this device?
Price is a big pull for many people. Maybe they want a tablet, but simply can't afford an iPad. Or their kids want one.

Granted, the NC doesn't have the functionality of an iPad but for a good sized group of people, it does pretty well. And this is in its unrooted state. It's a decent web browser, you can get email, it plays video and you can get Angry Birds on it.. Oh, and read too. I bring mine places that I don't want to risk my iPad or I know that I'll have to read in low light.

I'll be getting an Amazon tablet too- because I'm a crazy person with too much disposable income.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #42
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Probably not a brand sold around here which is why they are new to me. We have best buy and that's it.

I'm in Phoenix, and our Best Buys only have one very low-end model. They've been popping up in the Microsoft Stores, but it's not uncommon for folks to say, "Lenovo-who?"

I've got several family members/friends who work for IBM, which led to my initial interest.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #43
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool missed one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The reason I can't get excited about a back-lit LCD-based ebook reader can be expressed in just two words.

Battery Life
& eye strain
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Lenovo used to make laptops for IBM under the ThinkPad name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thread title is misleading. It makes people thinka new eink reader is due in November when it's just an LCD tablet. Can a moderator please fix the thread title? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote