Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 AM   #1
taeryn
taeryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unhappy Glo HD freezing

Hey guys,
I've just bought a refurbished Glo HD as I was looking for a new ereader after I had to retire my old Glo (which I loved, but sadly it has 3 vertical lines in the centre of the screen...).

I got it yesterday, and it came on firmware 4.4.9344 (05/16/17), which I can't see on the firmware pages to download, but is what a hard reset will return it to.

As I always do, I updated to the latest software straight away (4.7.10413). I've since been having issues with it freezing quite often. I couldn't find a specific way to have it happen, but it would freeze whilst I was reading (if I took a bit longer on a page than a few seconds) or even in the settings menu or home page. The weird thing is, like this post previously, it seems to be fixable by putting the screen to sleep. It then, as in that post, will process any touches I've made since it froze (normally resulting in a random word being highlighted and the dictionary showing up).

This doesn't happen after a factory reset. I thought it might have been my books I'd added, but it started happening after a fresh reset and then upgrade.
I've now hard reset it again, and currently I've had no issues for the last hour or two (no upgrade from stock). Edit: It just happened on the stock firmware. I'm thinking I might need to speak to the supplier and/or Kobo.

I didn't want to bump that old post, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions.
I'll probably try the (since removed) 4.8.10956 firmware and try to find the patch that someone else recently mentioned to fix some font issues or something, and if that doesn't work I might have to slowly test each firmware after my stock one, but I hate that I can't sync like normal without being afraid I'll have to factory reset to get my kobo to actually work like it should.

The whole thing makes me sad.

Last edited by taeryn; 05-18-2018 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added some information
taeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:27 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My post on the thread you point to is what might be happening when reading. This has continued and I feel might have worsened the 4.x.x firmware. I never found a way around it except to be very careful when highlighting.

But, it seems to be happening less with 4.8.10956. There were changes in this firmware to how the highlighting worked. This has improved the overall speed of highlighting and I think improved some other parts of the highlighting. The hang might have been fixed, or at least reduced a lot, but these changes.

If you want to try 4.8.10956, either patch it, or set the font to something other than "Publisher default" or the "Kobo..." fonts. The issues describe with this firmware version can still happen, but are much less likely. And if you decide you don't like it, manually installing 4.7.10413 over it will be safe. But, I am also hoping to see a replacement for 4.8.10956 soon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #3
taeryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My post on the thread you point to is what might be happening when reading. This has continued and I feel might have worsened the 4.x.x firmware. I never found a way around it except to be very careful when highlighting.

But, it seems to be happening less with 4.8.10956. There were changes in this firmware to how the highlighting worked. This has improved the overall speed of highlighting and I think improved some other parts of the highlighting. The hang might have been fixed, or at least reduced a lot, but these changes.

If you want to try 4.8.10956, either patch it, or set the font to something other than "Publisher default" or the "Kobo..." fonts. The issues describe with this firmware version can still happen, but are much less likely. And if you decide you don't like it, manually installing 4.7.10413 over it will be safe. But, I am also hoping to see a replacement for 4.8.10956 soon.
Thank you for the response.
I'll try the new firmware. Which patch am I looking for?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeryn View Post
Sorry, I don't patch the firmware, so I don't know them well. But look for one about setting the default font. It probably sets it to Georgia.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeryn View Post
It's in the librmsdk.so.1.0.0.patch file. There are two patches to change the default serif and san serif fonts (the patch uses Georgia and Avenir but you can set to any built-in or sideloaded font).

Look for patch_name = `Default ePub serif font (Georgia)` and patch_name = `Default ePub sans-serif font (Avenir)`.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:57 AM   #6
taeryn

Thanks guys! I'll give it a go.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:11 AM   #7
taeryn

Sadly, I haven't been able to get this to work. I tried a number of things including upgrading the firmware as above, including the patch, and even a 'manual' factory reset (suggested by Kobo themselves, although their instructions were wrong, but luckily I had the wiki here to help!) but the issue remained.

It didn't seem to be related to how I was touching the screen, as it would consistently happen after 6-10 seconds on the same screen (home page, within a book, settings page, or even the first setup page) and then would freeze without fail.

As per Kobo's advice, I've returned it to the supplier and I should have a new replacement by next Tuesday. Hopefully this fixes my issue, but it seems to be a hardware problem, in case anyone finds this further down the track.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!