Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Bulk Meta Data Edit Resetting Custom Field

First things first. The version of Calibre I'm using is 7.24.

I added a custom field to calibre. Went fine. Just a read column with yes/no selection. I had most of my books set with the proper read/not read check marks. So far so good.
I then today I decided to update the tags in my database using the bulk edit meta data function. Every single tag got reset back to X, if I had a check mark there.
How can I prevent Calibre from resetting the field when I do a bulk edit, when I want it to stay the way it is? When I want to change the field in bulk, it works great.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I can't repeat your problem, at least as I understand it.

Steps I took:
1) create a custom yes/no column called #mybool
2) put 'Yes' in some books (green check)
3) put 'No' in some books (red X)
4) leave some books as undefined (empty)
5) select the above books.
6) run bulk edit. I do not touch the box for #mybool, leaving it as 'undefined'
7) change some other metadata fields (I tried several)
8) Press OK

The booleans remain as they were. No changes.

What are you doing different from the above?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You're sure you didn't accidentally change the value of the field in your bulk edit?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I can't repeat your problem, at least as I understand it.

Steps I took:
1) create a custom yes/no column called #mybool
2) put 'Yes' in some books (green check)
3) put 'No' in some books (red X)
4) leave some books as undefined (empty)

What are you doing different from the above?
I don't have undefined available to me. I just have the green check and the red x available.

It looks like, even though I don't go the custom field tab, everything no matter what, unless I change it to green check is set to red check.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
iI seem to remember reading that there was a way to change the default value for Y/N fields. Could this have inadvertantly happened?
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
iI seem to remember reading that there was a way to change the default value for Y/N fields. Could this have inadvertantly happened?
There is a "Tweak" to set Y/N(Boolean) to Tri-state.
If something happened to the Tweak file, it resorts to default.
I would guess, that if you copied the library to another system, the tweaks had better be the same .. Before.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I don't have undefined available to me. I just have the green check and the red x available.

It looks like, even though I don't go the custom field tab, everything no matter what, unless I change it to green check is set to red check.
The only way that can happen is if you changed the tweak
bool_custom_columns_are_tristate = 'yes'
to be
bool_custom_columns_are_tristate = 'no'
I confirm that the bug exists when the tweak is set to no. I will look at fixing it. In the meantime, the workaround is to change the tweak back to 'yes', but that will have the side effect of permitting boolean columns to be Yes/No/empty instead of just Yes/No.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

A fix has been submitted for release.

This code has been broken since May. Shows how often that tweak is used.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
toomuchreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
A fix has been submitted for release.

This code has been broken since May. Shows how often that tweak is used.
All's it takes is just one user to find out where something 'went wrong' and the correct people to figure it out with the correct clues! I totally forgot about setting that tweak.

Absolutely fabulous work investigating and getting a fix in place! I look forward to giving it a try again.