Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #46
Theon144
Theon144 began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Hey so do I understand correctly that if I update to the latest firmware as of now (11.2.2), I will still be able to jailbreak, but the suspend.jpg screensaver method will stop working?

Also, is there a way to get rid of the shop recommendations (no way to buy the books in my country anyway)?

eta: And more importantly, is there a way to downgrade after updating?

Last edited by Theon144; 07-17-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Theon144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theon144 View Post
Hey so do I understand correctly that if I update to the latest firmware as of now (11.2.2), I will still be able to jailbreak, but the suspend.jpg screensaver method will stop working?

Also, is there a way to get rid of the shop recommendations (no way to buy the books in my country anyway)?

eta: And more importantly, is there a way to downgrade after updating?
For the downgrading, I downgraded to 11.1 from 11.2.0 (the upgrade that was pulled). I later upgraded back to 11.2.0 and then 11.2.2 Now on 11.2.3. This works if you manually download the update and keep the file around so you can use that upgrade.zip to downlevel your firmware. Oddly when 11.2.3 was released, my epos insisted that 11.2.2 was up to date for a couple of weeks.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the downgrading, I downgraded to 11.1 from 11.2.0 (the upgrade that was pulled). I later upgraded back to 11.2.0 and then 11.2.2 Now on 11.2.3. This works if you manually download the update and keep the file around so you can use that upgrade.zip to downlevel your firmware. Oddly when 11.2.3 was released, my epos insisted that 11.2.2 was up to date for a couple of weeks.
My Tolino Page upgrade status is a bit weird also. When I first got it, it immediately self-updated to 10.1.0, but when I looked on the update page, it showed that the newest firmware to be 10.0.1. If I follow that download link but change 10.0.1 to 10.1.0, it will download the 10.1.0 release (even though you can't see it on the page). (I wonder if I try that with other versions of software?)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My Tolino Page upgrade status is a bit weird also. When I first got it, it immediately self-updated to 10.1.0, but when I looked on the update page, it showed that the newest firmware to be 10.0.1. If I follow that download link but change 10.0.1 to 10.1.0, it will download the 10.1.0 release (even though you can't see it on the page). (I wonder if I try that with other versions of software?)
What I find rather odd is if I look at the updates for the Vision 4HD, the link by 11.2.0 show 11-2-3 as part of the path while the 1.8.5 to 10.1.0 update shows 11.2.3 as part of the path. The two update.zip files that download seem to differ in the updater binary and script files.

And I caution being very careful using the downloaded firmware. Unlike Kobo where they differentiate the links for the various hardware generations, Tolino seems to stuff all the updates into a single block where the links all start "https"//download.pageplace.de/ereader/" (which switches to "https://tolinodownloads.kobo.com/ereader/") followed by the version number as either xx.yy.xx or xx-yy-zz (depending on whether you are doing a major upgrade or a minor upgrade). You could download 11.2.3 but what are the chances that it will work on your Page?

Last edited by DNSB; 07-18-2018 at 11:26 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I find rather odd is if I look at the updates for the Vision 4HD, the link by 11.2.0 show 11-2-3 as part of the path while the 1.8.5 to 10.1.0 update shows 11.2.3 as part of the path. The two update.zip files that download seem to differ in the updater binary and script files.

And I caution being very careful using the downloaded firmware. Unlike Kobo where they differentiate the links for the various hardware generations, Tolino seems to stuff all the updates into a single block where the links all start "https"//download.pageplace.de/ereader/" (which switches to "https://tolinodownloads.kobo.com/ereader/") followed by the version number as either xx.yy.xx or xx-yy-zz (depending on where you are doing a major upgrade or a minor upgrade). You could download 11.2.3 but what are the chances that it will work on your Page?
The Page asked if I wanted to update to 11.2.3 today, so I let it do it. It seems to be a bit snappier for reading, I guess. One of the main changes is the keyboard – everyone is going to the simplified keyboard but I'm not sure I'm crazy about it. One negative ... going to my Overdrive page at my library is excruciatingly slow. It's a fairly complicated page so I guess the newer OS and browser are more "top heavy" than the old combination was. Apparently the Page barely has enough power to run it. On the positive side, Constantia has started working (both ttf and otf were accepted as valid now). Other fonts, like Deja Vu, still don't work. I'll test it out. I've still got a copy of the old update so (I assume) I can drop back if something proves too annoying.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:08 AM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
If anyone finds a way to have the suspend.jpg working on this new version, that would be stellar. I really don't like the default look (I'd added my name/e-mail/phone number and my avatar)
Apparently you now have to name the file "suspend_others.jpg" instead of just "suspend.jpg."

From a German site, translated by Google from ...

"Lange Rede, kurzer Sinn: Damit der Bildschirmschoner wieder angezeigt wird, muss das Bild in “suspend_others.jpg” umbenannt werden."

"Long story short, for the screen saver to be displayed again, the picture must be renamed "suspend_others.jpg"."

https://papierlos-lesen.de/bildschim...-11-2-3-64706/
Old 07-20-2018, 04:52 AM   #52
Theon144
Theon144 began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Can confirm, suspend_others.jpg works on the latest firmware
Theon144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #53
Gjanus
Gjanus began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino vision 4 hd
Hello, hope someone can help me. After root my light button is not working anymore (also in the Tolino app). Is this normal? And does someone now of a app that let you control the temperature of the front light like the Tolino app?

Tried some filter apps... Does not work

Coolreader let me control brightness but not the temperature.

Koreader no success in light management (also not brightness).

I don't like switching to the Tolino app only for controlling the front light
Gjanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #54
browncoat
browncoat began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Forma
I've just checked, my Vision 4 HD is on Firmware 11.2.2.
I want to use Koreader.

Am I seeing this right that I should try to find a 10.x update.zip, make my own custom boot.img, and then flash that?

Would that work? Does anyone have a 10.x update.zip lying around?

Thanks!

EDIT: How high is the risk of bricking my reader?

Last edited by browncoat; 10-08-2018 at 02:54 PM.
browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tolino, tolino vision