Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2022, 05:37 AM   #1
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
PACMAN security flaw in M1

Apparently some researchers at MIT discovered a security flaw in the M1 chip that is unmatchable. But they say it is not a concern. I'm not computer architecture expert, so I don't have a clue what they are talking about. I read it may exist in the M2 as well.

https://gizmodo.com/apple-m1-chip-se...ble-1849046101
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:49 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
It requires physical access to the unit, so I think most of us are quite safe.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:50 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
It requires physical access to the unit, so I think most of us are quite safe.
No it does not.

Quote:
Is it game over for M1-based MacBook owners, though? There are reports that physical access to a machine is needed, though CSAIL affiliate and the paper's co-author Joseph Ravichandran tells HotHardware that those reports are erroneous.

We actually did all our experiments over the network on a machine in another room. PACMAN works just fine remotely if you have unprivileged code execution," the researchers explain an FAQ.

https://hothardware.com/news/apple-m...-style-attacks

Itself cannot be patched but it requires memory corruption bugs that can be patched. All of this is beyond my level of understanding.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote