Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #421
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
In the notes section of the first post it says the Oasis is now shipping with FW that can’t be jailbroken, yet. But in the instructions to do the jail brake, an early action is to download and install a factory firmware that can be jailbroke.

I’m thing of getting a new Oasis and wondering if the factory firmware referred to in the instructions can be installed on a new Oasis?
Can't install the factory firmware if the shipping firmware version on the Oasis is higher.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #422
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just got my new Oasis. I figured the first thing it should do is plug it into my Mac and had the OTA blocking name. However, my Mac isn't seeing the oasis. I plug in one of my older kindles and it is recognized. Do I need to turn the oasis on? Plugging it in has done that.

What do I need to do so my Mac sees the oasis?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #423
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never mind. I had to let it do a little setup, but I did not connect to wifi until I had added the blocking name. That's done.

The sad news is I have FW 5.9.2.0.1 which, at present, can't be jailbroken. So I will wait patiently in hopes a jailbreak will be invented for my Oasis.

BTW, Amazon has a great deal now, trade in an old kindle and get 25% credit towards purchasing a new kindle. I still had my first kindle keyboard and traded that in. The credit was $75 and they also gave me a $5 gift card which I applied to the purchase. $80 off the new Oasis.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #424
jangell2
Addict

I just noticed in settings that "Update Your Kindle" is greyed out. Is that because there are no updates or because of the blocking directory?
Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #425
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
The sad news is I have FW 5.9.2.0.1 which, at present, can't be jailbroken. So I will wait patiently in hopes a jailbreak will be invented for my Oasis.
Look at the last part of this message:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=531
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #426
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I just noticed in settings that "Update Your Kindle" is greyed out. Is that because there are no updates or because of the blocking directory?
It will always be greyed out unless there is an update*.bin file present and ready to install.

hius07 gives very good advice in previous message.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #427
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Look at the last part of this message:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=531
I have messaged him. It's not clear the message was sent because there's nothing in my sent box, so I did it twice and got the same results.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #428
jangell2
Addict

We made contact and it appears the backup I created won't help.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #429
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We made contact and it appears the backup I created won't help.
That is sad news, but thanks for giving it a try.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #430
hansipansi65
hansipansi65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis 2 (2017) / CW24W0i / G000P8
...so I was reading all posts here (Thank You knc1 for the amazing effort!) and as an owner of a kindle oasis 2017 with FW: 5.9.6.1 my only option is now to create the OAT blocking folder and wait for good news, am I right?
hansipansi65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #431
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansipansi65 View Post
...so I was reading all posts here (Thank You knc1 for the amazing effort!) and as an owner of a kindle oasis 2017 with FW: 5.9.6.1 my only option is now to create the OAT blocking folder and wait for good news, am I right?
Correct.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #432
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansipansi65 View Post
You could send a thank you note to Amazon for being such buttheads about allowing 3rd parties to address kindle shortcomings.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #433
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
You could send a thank you note to Amazon for being such buttheads about allowing 3rd parties to address kindle shortcomings.
maybe buy 1 share of Amazon stock, a ticket into the next annual meeting.
Bring the butthead subject up for discussion during the meeting.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #434
hansipansi65
hansipansi65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis 2 (2017) / CW24W0i / G000P8
So I dont want to sound rude or abuse this thread, but whats the best alternative right now to the oasis // a kindle pw 4 with koreader? (for me its important to be able to read & mark a lot of pdfs for work -> easy sync & readable markings for pdf-readers on pc ) ...any favorites for jailbreaking? or please a suggestion/link to the right thread; Thanks again :-)
hansipansi65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #435
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As an Oasis 2 alternative, the Kobo Forma, and as a PW4 alternative, a Kobo Clara HD. Kobo is the most well supported target as far as KOReader on eInk goes, plus you won't ever have to deal with jailbreaking shenanigans, and getting KOReader up and running takes like 3 clicks and 5 min on a vanilla device.

If you're locked to the Kindle platform, finding a second-hand unit running a JB-friendly FW version, but good luck with that.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-27-2019 at 05:43 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, koa2