Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
question about HALT and boot

I usually shutdown my devices using HALT extension in KUAL if the device will not be used for a while.

All of my older devices shutdown with a screen "Please wait while your Kindle starts" (or something similar). Then pressing the power button causes the Kindle to boot. This has worked on K2, K4NT, Touch and PW2.

On my PW4, the shutdown is the same, but the power button does not make the Kindle boot. The light momentarily goes green, and then nothing happens!

I tried multiple times, short press, long press - no result. The only way to boot is a very long press that causes a reboot.

Can anyone confirm how HALT and boot work on PW4? Can you describe what happens and how long does take after the power button press, please?

@ilovejedd, you seem to have a few devices in various stages of use and rest?

Thanks!
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fllc View Post
I usually shutdown my devices using HALT extension in KUAL if the device will not be used for a while.

All of my older devices shutdown with a screen "Please wait while your Kindle starts" (or something similar). Then pressing the power button causes the Kindle to boot. This has worked on K2, K4NT, Touch and PW2.

On my PW4, the shutdown is the same, but the power button does not make the Kindle boot. The light momentarily goes green, and then nothing happens!

I tried multiple times, short press, long press - no result. The only way to boot is a very long press that causes a reboot.

Can anyone confirm how HALT and boot work on PW4? Can you describe what happens and how long does take after the power button press, please?

@ilovejedd, you seem to have a few devices in various stages of use and rest?

Thanks!
I see you have participated in the thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=halt

Have you tried the script there without the screen wiping calls and maybe a different shutdown mode?

It sucks than amazon keeps finding new ways to be annoying.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
My shutdown script is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

exec shutdown -P now
I don't know if that works the same as halt.

Tested on PW4 running 5.10.1.3, short press on power button to seems to work. Boot just takes a long time. Much longer than on PW3 running 5.8.11.

Haven't started the battery drain test yet. I think I left one of the PW4s that I had planned on testing in my other vehicle's glove compartment.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Sidenote: both shutdown & halt/poweroff (usually) do a sync . We tend to stick a manual one before just in case, but it shouldn't be needed.

You could try poweroff instead. Or even poweroff -f, which might be a tad more aggressive, even though I have no idea how that interacts with upstart.
It just happens to be necessary on Kobo to avoid a deadlock on some kernels...

EDIT: Ha! It's essentially the same recommendation as @ilovejedd . poweroff => shutdown -P now

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-22-2019 at 05:45 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you @J.P.S., @ilovejedd, @NiLuJe.

I will test various methods of shutdown and see what makes start-up better.

I will report my findings.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Unless you actually have to let it sit for a few weeks or even months, the strain of the boot process is likely going to be a bigger drain on battery than simply relying on the default suspend behavior.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
fllc
has been

OK, here are the results:

poweroff -f -- causes instant shutdown with the last screen displayed but in inverted color. Power button press causes instant normal boot.

halt -- causes shutdown after a delay of ~2 seconds. Screen displays "Please wait....". Power button press causes a momentary green flash, followed by 3-5 minutes without any visible signs of life, followed by normal boot.

shutdown -P now -- causes shutdown after a delay of ~2 seconds. Screen displays "Please wait....". Power button press causes instant normal boot. (1 out of ~5 tests required a second press of power button to boot the device.)

So I am now using @ilovejedd's command in the halt script.

@NiLuJe - I shutdown my devices if I expect not to use them for a few weeks.

As far as battery use, I did some testing a few years ago on my devices K4-PW2. The battery drain was 1.25%-2.5% per day in sleep mode. My old K2 only lost 0.25%-0.5% per day. I did not test PW4 and KOA2 with the power saving mode. A normal reboot of PW4 consumes about 1% battery.