Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Question about location of Calibre output

I use Calibre to backup and convert my library to EPUB using the Alf plug-in.

I have noticed that it creates a directory structure with author name/book name to store the converted file. I like this and want to keep it that way to manage.

But I also would like to have a single directory with all the EPUB files in place as I think that would be easier to move to some other device or computer.

So, can you change the output location and format in Calibre and if so do I have to convert them all again just to get the directory I need?

Thanks
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not as you ask - the folder/filenames inside a Calibre library are a fixed format. The closest you will get is to use the Save to Disk feature to export copies of all your ePub files as when doing that you can control the folder/filename structure to be used.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑

As well as the Save to Disk tool, there is Send to Device tool, which can be a folder - i.e. a pseudo-device.

To accommodate the differences between the many file systems calibre supports, the folder and file names within a library may be transliterated into ASCII, and shortened.

For their output folder and file names Save to Disk and Send to Device use the values stored in the database - i.e Irène Némirovsky and Suite française, whereas within a library diacritic-free values would be used - i.e. Irene Nemirovsky and Suite francaise .

Its an even bigger issue for languages that don't use the Latin alphabet. And for long values (often found technical book titles) the shortening of values, coupled with transliteration, can result in some odd looking folder and file names within a library folder.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-17-2018 at 06:38 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I move all files converted in Calibre to their respective author folders using Windows File Explorer (because I don't use Calibre to store ebooks).

You could do the same by opening one of the epub files while in Calibre (right-click and choose Open Containing Folder).

File Explorer will open, and then hit the "up a folder" arrow twice (at the left of the URL box), and then do a Find for epub. You will then have a list of all your epub files in Calibre. Hit ctrl-a to select all, then hit ctrl-c to copy them all to the clipboard, and then go to the folder where you want to copy them and hit ctrl-v to paste all the epub files into that folder.

If you don't want to keep any of the epub files in Calibre, hit ctrl-x instead (to move them) and then ctrl-v.

Last edited by deback; 05-17-2018 at 09:31 PM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote