Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #1
mattcd216
Enthusiast
mattcd216 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 D01100
Old kobo with automatic sleep/wake

Hi. Looking to get an e-reader for my grandmother so she can enlarge the text to read novels again. Looking at the second hand market. Wondering when Kobo introduced the magnetic sleep/wake case functionality? That would be really handy as she has arthritis and buttons to wake would be a pain.

Does the Glo have it?

Thanks,
Matt
mattcd216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcd216 View Post
Hi. Looking to get an e-reader for my grandmother so she can enlarge the text to read novels again. Looking at the second hand market. Wondering when Kobo introduced the magnetic sleep/wake case functionality? That would be really handy as she has arthritis and buttons to wake would be a pain.

Does the Glo have it?

Thanks,
Matt
Given that your Grandmother wants to enlarge the text, a screen larger then 6" is better for her. I would go for a Kobo Libra 2 as it is a 7" screen with good contrast. 6" could be too small depending on how large she wants/needs the text.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My 2013 Kobo Aura had automagic sleep/wake, so anything fairly recent should have it as well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:02 PM   #4
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that your Grandmother wants to enlarge the text, a screen larger then 6" is better for her. I would go for a Kobo Libra 2 as it is a 7" screen with good contrast. 6" could be too small depending on how large she wants/needs the text.
Agree, but this pushes up the price quite a bit. It's very likely to be mislaid quickly!
Old 06-07-2023, 03:08 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Agree, but this pushes up the price quite a bit. It's very likely to be mislaid quickly!
But why get her something that's not appropriate? A Kobo with a 6" screen may not be appropriate.
Advert
Old 06-07-2023, 03:40 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But why get her something that's not appropriate? A Kobo with a 6" screen may not be appropriate.
I gave my 76 year old mom a 6" Nook Glowlight 3 and she loves it. Just because YOU prefer larger screens doesn't mean the others are worthless.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My dad was happy with his 6″ Kindle when he was 90.

I prefer an 8″. Choice is good and also bigger screens cost more.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:13 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I gave my 76 year old mom a 6" Nook Glowlight 3 and she loves it. Just because YOU prefer larger screens doesn't mean the others are worthless.
A 6" Reader is OK. But it's when you need to up the font size. It depends on how large you need to go. That's why going for a 7" screen can be better.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:23 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
A 6" Reader is OK. But it's when you need to up the font size. It depends on how large you need to go. That's why going for a 7" screen can be better.
Once my mom adjusted to reading books one letter at a time, it was easy sailing
Old 06-08-2023, 09:31 AM   #10
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Quote:
We’ve tried my 6” kobo nia with enlarged font and that worked great. Quite happy with standard 6”.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Got a couple of requirements identified, so I’ve asked https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=354418
Old 06-08-2023, 12:13 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I assume from the other thread, you are in the UK, so no Walmart branded Kobo's.
Remember Sleep covers are extra money.
I DO recommend a sleep cover. It has saved my Libra 2 when I fell asleep and the reader slid off and hit the floor.

OH!
+++ a bunch for models with BUTTONS.
Touch is less forgiving with vision issues or tremors.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #13
mattcd216
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
+++ a bunch for models with BUTTONS.
Touch is less forgiving with vision issues or tremors.
This is interesting - hands/fingers aren't great at her age. I worry about the smaller buttons on the ereaders that do have them.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is interesting - hands/fingers aren't great at her age. I worry about the smaller buttons on the ereaders that do have them.
The buttons on the Libra 2 are not too small and are very easy to press.

The Kobo you are thinking of don't have buttons.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:54 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
The Nook Glowlight 3 I gave my mom does have page turn buttons, which I figured she'd appreciate. After having it a few weeks, I asked her if she tends to turn pages with buttons or touching the screen. She says it's about 50/50. So, like a larger screen, page turn buttons are nice, but are not the be-all/end-all consideration.

What I will say is an eink reader gave reading back to my mom. For the last few years she hasn't read at all. Since I gave her the Nook, she has been reading like it's going out of style.

Tags
sleep, sleep cover, wake up