Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
dimsumthinking
dimsumthinking began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
PDF Kerning issue in titles on Mac

Hi,

I use the latest version of Calibre to convert ePubs I author to mobi and pdf.

With pdfs there are kerning issues in the titles.(Image attached)

I do not see this artifacting when using software such as Clearview to produce pdfs so I don't think the issue is in macOS. I've seen this same issue for years but readers have begun to complain.

Any suggestions on what I can do to mitigate this? I see that this is a long-standing Calibre issue but none of the suggestions for what we can do seem to apply or work for me.

Thank you,

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 8.01.52 AM.png
Views:	121
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	187214  
dimsumthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
dimsumthinking

Thank you,

The problem could be "Failed to find fonts for family..." with several listed.

I apologize if this is a simple question - but what is your suggested work-around (these include Avenir-Light and Menlo which are being found and used in the epub itself and when I use other software to convert this document - which I created).

If necessary, I can use other fonts for the pdf - do you have a list of supported fonts? The font section in the manual covers size but I didn't see font families.

My source document is an ePub with a CSS that defines the fonts

Thank you

Daniel
Old 05-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There should be no problem with those fonts. I need the epub file and the font files to try to reproduce the issue in order to tell you more.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
dimsumthinking

Thank you - that's what I thought. How would you like me to send them to you (and thank you so much for your support)

Daniel
Advert
Old 05-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The link I posted before tells you that.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
dimsumthinking

Bug 1929240

Thank you