Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #61
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivepoints View Post
Between this and the weird main menu button for Inverted Mode showing up on random people's Kindles, there is a lot of weirdness going on.
And this conveniently happens during the quarantine.
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #62
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
And this conveniently happens during the quarantine.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 01:02 AM   #63
Tempus Thales
Tempus Thales began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks kovidgoyal

For the update that is.

It will be interesting to see if they (Amazon) back off this new "function" or admit to some sort of error or just stay silent.

Great to know you are already on it!

That was a long night trying to get all that back and I was wondering why it messed with most but not all.

I had just done (more or less) total reconfiguration for "collections" trying to make more sense of their wonderful menu system. Nothing to do with Calibre of course, laptop install still works like a charm. So your explanation makes sense of a very WTH just happened moment.
Tempus Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:27 AM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...dd838af4307f01
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #65
Fivepoints
Fivepoints began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Well, I hope this is eventually resolved because I am OCD enough to despise the blank covers. Thanks Amazon.
Fivepoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well, I hope this is eventually resolved because I am OCD enough to despise the blank covers. Thanks Amazon.
The post by Kovid above yours is for a patch to workaround the issue. It'll be in the next release of calibre unless you are running from source in which case you could update now.

Quote:
Now calibre will store a second copy of the thumbails on the Kindle and
auto-restore them on every connect, if the file sizes are different.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #67
markvdvelde
Connoisseur
markvdvelde began at the beginning.

Use KFX

Quote:
I hate them too. My fix is to convert the books to KFX and update the ID field (amazon:BXXXXXXX). Disabling Airplane mode no longer results in blank covers.
markvdvelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #68
pokeit
pokeit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Excellent, thank you
pokeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #69
hengyu
Enthusiast
hengyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
Quote:
4.17 update works perfectly with fixing the covers, you are awesome
hengyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #70
abhisheknandi
abhisheknandi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.12.4 ( Basic model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
4.17 update works perfectly with fixing the covers, you are awesome
Thanks Kovid and calibre team for fixing the issue.
Great example of cleaning up someone else's mess without creating a fuss.

Thanks again for Calibr!
abhisheknandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #71
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

I am downloading 4.17. I hope this works.

EDIT: What a relief. Thank you so much

Last edited by MrSlow&Steady; 05-23-2020 at 04:34 PM.
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #72
mkriiger
mkriiger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW
Quote:
Thanks a lot, Kovid! Works fine now

mkriiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #73
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
I just saw v4.17 today, but am currently still running 4.16. Glad there is a workaround/fix!

Just another observation. I downloaded three eBooks from my state's digital library today, and due to the discussed problem, I ran them individually though Calibre. Two eBooks came through the "Add Books" portion with the correct cover, and the plugins did their job. When I side loaded them into my Kindle PW, the covers were correct and stayed. They were not stripped.

The third eBook came into Calibre with a simple, not original cover. Not uncommon, maybe 1 in 5 are this way. I edited the Metadata and downloaded a new, correct cover and then polished the book as I've done dozens of times before. I side loaded the polished eBook and the cover was stripped immediately.

So, those books coming in with original covers, kept them. The eBook that I changed the cover on and polished, didn't keep the cover. I did the "copy to Kindle thumbnail" workaround to get it's cover into my Kindle.

I know, very small sample, but I thought it was interesting. Sounds like I need to load 4.17. Thanks!"
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #74
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome, all
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #75
Stormdog
Stormdog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hi guys, am facing the same problem, even after getting 4.17 update.
Kindle Oasis 9th gen, on 5.12.5 build 3617300042. I have two books that go blank when connected to Wifi.
But curiously enough, one of them gets a cover after being connected to Calibre, then loses it. Another book just never gets a cover at all. They're both ePubs converted to AZW3.
Stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote