Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
Keloff
Electronic media explorer
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), iPad 2
Smashwords inserting blank vertical gifs in unwanted places?

Hey folks

Hoping someone has had the same issue before. Smashwords Meatgrinder is inserting unnecessary vertical gifs in the epub and mobi versions of a manuscript I'm working on.

I'm pretty sure I've followed the style guide properly; there are no unnecessary paragraph breaks, the source images aren't gifs themselves and hyperlinking is not the only cause of this problem.

Any ideas? Here's more detail:

http://kosieeloff.com/2011/12/04/266/
Keloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I think you need to complain to Smashwords. You have no influence in their process or end-result.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I think you need to complain to Smashwords. You have no influence in their process or end-result.
I am very surprised that Smashwords has not implemented direct ePub uploading given how many people are asking for it. Both authors and readers alike want this and yet we don't have it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Keloff
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Right, so it doesn't seem like a formatting issue then. I was hoping there's something obvious I'm missing - at least then it'd be something I could fix! Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Keloff

Figured it out. There were Word auto-shapes scattered around the document. They only showed themselves in Web view.

Removing them manually, let's see how that works out.

The Smashwords Style Guide makes no mention of autoshapes... that's another thing to add to my checklist.

This is Word 2010, btw.
Advert

Tags
epub conversion, meatgrinder, smashwords