Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
3G / 4G and Wi-Fi Support?

Any E-readers on the USA MARKET other than some Kindle models that support 3G/4G phone communications as well as wi-fi? I do not see any models from Kobo or Nook that do. Those three e-ink makers seem to make up about 98% or more of the North American market. Most of the others I see noted here on MobileRead seem to be primarily European distribution, frequently in limited countries apparently. No one seems to be able to truly compete against the Amazon colossus in the countries they choose to enter.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm not aware of any readers other than Kindle that support 3G. I'm always reading reviews of ereaders and that's not a feature I've encountered in anything but Kindles.

I buy my Kindles with 3G because I like to be able to access Wikipedia to look things up as I read, although in recent years I've been reading on my phone more than on my Kindles when I'm away from home so I've been thinking maybe my next one should be Wifi. And yet, I'm 77 with a few health issues and if I end up in a nursing home in a few years and they don't have Wifi I'll be really glad to have that 3G. Not that there's any reason to think that's going to happen, but I like to plan ahead.

My guess is my next one will be 3G but maybe not. I haven't really decided yet.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Any E-readers on the USA MARKET other than some Kindle models that support 3G/4G phone communications as well as wi-fi? ...
I don't think so. I think – probably – the next best solution is using the Hot Spot feature of your smartphone (if you've got one and plan that will allow it).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
The Sony PRS-950 had both but seeing as Sony support has ended I am not sure how useful it is seeing as how Sony never released Kobo store supporting firmware for the 950.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
The Sony PRS-950 had both but seeing as Sony support has ended I am not sure how useful it is seeing as how Sony never released Kobo store supporting firmware for the 950.
I guess you still use the WiFi feature for web browsing? (I think I read that the 3G feature was only good for the Sony store.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Cell radios are a pain for manufacturers in many ways. Not only getting them past government regulations, but then you have to deal with the phone companies. Amazon failed at the latter in Canada (where the phone companies may be unsurpassed in the world for greed and arrogance). Ereader manufacturers quickly gave up on it because it was likely to be stymied somewhere, so a big gamble for little return.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
3G on the Sony reader doesn't work at all. It only went to the Sony store and, since that's closed, it goes nowhere. I've tried it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:18 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Cell radios are a pain for manufacturers in many ways. Not only getting them past government regulations, but then you have to deal with the phone companies. Amazon failed at the latter in Canada (where the phone companies may be unsurpassed in the world for greed and arrogance). Ereader manufacturers quickly gave up on it because it was likely to be stymied somewhere, so a big gamble for little return.
Arrogance, maybe. Greed? Not sure if there is any phone company anywhere that isn't tied for the lead in the category.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-07-2018 at 02:11 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Greed and arrogance seems to be a common character of phone companies globally. Here in the USA, I note that Comcast has decided to get into the wireless market. It's gonna be a very good fit.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote