Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #16
tomddd
tomddd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Update is greyed out

Hallo , I have the same problem.
I have Kindle 3G B00A with fw 3.4(1725970040)
If I copy "Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B00A.bin" to root, menu "Update Your Kindle" is greyed out. I downloaded this file many times.
I test kubrick too. Take some about 2 hours and finish successfully. But there is no solution for greyed out.
Kindle works fully ok, but without register and connection to net/Amazon acount.
Any suggestion?
tomddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomddd View Post
Hallo , I have the same problem.
I have Kindle 3G B00A with fw 3.4(1725970040)
If I copy "Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B00A.bin" to root, menu "Update Your Kindle" is greyed out. I downloaded this file many times.
I test kubrick too. Take some about 2 hours and finish successfully. But there is no solution for greyed out.
Kindle works fully ok, but without register and connection to net/Amazon acount.
Any suggestion?
YES. (the same answer to every other question asked this morning)

Read and follow the directions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529700

The update_*.bin packages are "model locked" and in the case of the incremental updates (your case) they are also "version locked".
The UYK is grayed out because you are trying to install the wrong package.

It will also remain grayed out if the file was damaged during the download.
Check that in this case also.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #18
tomddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I am sorry, but I do not understand you. I know this page.
On this link write:
Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - Europe
Your serial number starts with "B00A"
If you have software version 3.4.1 or 3.4, download and install Software Update 3.4.2.

I have Kindle B00A and version 3.4. What is wrong? I downloaded this file many times. I test other files too. I do factory reset. I use kubrick, like last option.
UYK is still grayed out. I dont know what do next.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am sorry, but I do not understand you. I know this page.
On this link write:
Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - Europe
Your serial number starts with "B00A"
If you have software version 3.4.1 or 3.4, download and install Software Update 3.4.2.

I have Kindle B00A and version 3.4. What is wrong? I downloaded this file many times. I test other files too. I do factory reset. I use kubrick, like last option.
UYK is still grayed out. I dont know what do next.
contact Amazon
notify them they have a bad update package posted.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #20
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@tomddd: Where (what directory/folder?) did you copy the downloaded bin file? Are you using MacOS?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
tomddd

shamanNS: I use root, Windows7
knc1: I today long chat with support Amazon.
Result:
promotional credit to get a 20% off on your new kindle
and
I would need to escalate this issue to our Engineers so that they can look into the device logs and help with a fix. Please allow them a maximum of 1-2 business days to work on this.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

So did you escalate the trouble report to their engineers?
So what happened after the two days?
Have you followed up yet?

What version did Kubrick install?
I know it isn't as recent as what you had.

Are you following the directions for the firmware version that is now installed (by Kubrick)?
The problem has been solved in the past by using Kubrick to install the earlier firmware and then just following Amazon's directions to update it.

Last edited by knc1; 11-29-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@tomddd: There are 3 main reasons /problems that can lead to same end result ( grayed-out "Update Your Kindle" option):

1) bin file copied to incorrect location on Kindle.
2) downloaded wrong bin update, for some other Kindle model.
3a) bad download on your side of thing
3b) OR bad upload by Amazon.

Since we should have already eliminated problem #2 (you are choosing to download the correct bin file) now we should double-check for other two problems.

You should compare the MD5 hash value for your downloaded file with what I've got when downloaded that same file (to eliminate problem #3a):

Quote:
MD5: d99e51f8dbcd45c7593a44bf9b0702d2
Easies way to generate MD5 hash on Windows is to install HashCheck.

When you write "I use root" I hope that did not mean that you did this: created a directory/folder named "root" and then copied "Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B008.bin" file to that folder.

When instructions mention copy to "root" its meant "copy the bin file directly to drive E/F/G/H, whatever letter was assigned to a drive named 'Kindle' by Windows".

It should look like this:

As you can see bin file should be in the same "level" as "documents" folder and "My Clippings.txt" file.

If you copied the file correctly and the MD5 hash value is the same one I'm getting and there is still no UYK option enabled then the problems is either bad upload on Amazon servers or something specific with you Kindle.

I would even check the MD5 hash after copying the bin to Kindle to exclude possibility of bad USB cable...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Such as the installation of Doukan.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 AM   #25
tomddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
...and then copied "Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B008.bin" file ....
Hi, I have B00A version. That is file "Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B00A.bin" from
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...3.4.2_B00A.bin

My MD5:
Code:
6bc2bfc26688bed687adea1772e985d7
And other:
1) bin file copied to incorrect location on Kindle.
Really no, I know what is root
2) downloaded wrong bin update, for some other Kindle model.
B00A - "Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B00A.bin"
3a) bad download on your side of thing
No, I downloaded many times on two PCs
3b) OR bad upload by Amazon.
By me, improbable.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:05 AM   #26
tomddd

knc1:
I waiting for Amazons engineers, but I do not promise anything.
Kubrick I download from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206064
Exactly:
Quote:
Live CD ISO image, to debrick K3 devices:
Note: you can also burn this image on a DVD.
Download (384 MB; ixtab, Version 3.6)
My question, Kubrick overwrite all firmware in Kindle? Kubrick worked about 2 hours and finish successfully.
My idea. What first downgrade and then upgrade by Amazons files?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
knc1:
I waiting for Amazons engineers, but I do not promise anything.
Kubrick I download from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206064
Exactly:

My question, Kubrick overwrite all firmware in Kindle? Kubrick worked about 2 hours and finish successfully.
My idea. What first downgrade and then upgrade by Amazons files?
As I posted above, that is how other people worked around the problem you have.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #28
tomddd

Hello, and how to downgrade to older fw? I test Kubrick to 3.4. This is not solution. It is possible to downgrade to 3.1 or 3.2? Or is anywhere image with latest 3.4.2 for Kubrick?
By the way, Amazon finish my problem by promotional credit to get a 20% off on new kindle.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hello, and how to downgrade to older fw? I test Kubrick to 3.4. This is not solution. It is possible to downgrade to 3.1 or 3.2? Or is anywhere image with latest 3.4.2 for Kubrick?
By the way, Amazon finish my problem by promotional credit to get a 20% off on new kindle.
Use Kubrick to downgrade to an earlier firmware version.
IIRC, it installs 3.1.something.
It is the only way available because Amazon did not provide complete image files for the 3 series firmware.
You must select the proper option in Kubrick to over-write the existing system image.
Then you must follow Amazon's directions to update from that version to 3.4.2
So far, that is the only way reported here to fix the problem you have.

Last edited by knc1; 12-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm having the same problem. Updated from 3.3 to 3.4 without an issue. But I can't get it to update to 3.4.2.

EDIT: I figured out the problem. It's Amazon's fault. The file they show for updating both 3.4 and 3.4.1 was designed for 3.4.1. to 3.4.2. (That's why its name is Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2...) I went to Archive.org and found an older Kindle 3 update page (in the Wayback Machine) and in it I was able to download the 3.4 to 3.4.2 file (Update_kindle_3.4_3.4.2...). My Kindle took to it right away and is now registered.

I've got the three files downloaded now, so will be willing to send them. The way I found them was by going to Archive.org and placing this link in the Wayback Machine entry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529700

Then I chose May 18, 2017 and found the older download page with the missing downloads. (I was able to replicate the search.)

Last edited by rcentros; 12-14-2017 at 06:13 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote