Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's OK we should be good. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

If the ToC is in its own HTML file, then while in Sigil... right click on THAT particular html file in the Book Browser (the panel on the left) and on the menu that comes up, go to "Add Semantics" and then select "Table of Contents". If you right-click again and view the "Add Semantics" menu again... "Table of Contents" should have a checkmark beside it. That's what we want.

Save the ePub and close Sigil and then use the Kindle Previewer to convert that ePub (make sure you using the exact one we edited) and see if the "Go to Table of Contents" feature works now.

EDIT: also, if you get it to work, you may want to start over with the original ePub and do things a little differently. I believe Sigil is modifying your code in ways that you may not be aware of or want it to. When you open Sigil, before you open your epub, you should turn off HTML Tidy. It's the button on the menu bar that look like a little whisk broom. The "depressed" appearance is on. Click it to turn it off. Then open your ePub. That will avoid any major alterations to your code.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
Its worked!
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
Kratos
Connoisseur

I'm chuckling madly to myself and almost crying. It is so good of you to take the time to help some anonymous person across the internet. Thank you DiapDealer so much. I'm so grateful. THANK YOU!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No problem. You're welcome.

Make sure you noted what I added above about turning off HTML tidy before opening your epub. I wouldn't want you to be taken by surprise by code changes.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
Kratos
Connoisseur

OK. I've unpressed the HTML tidy button. And will make sure it is off in the final version of my epub that I import. I could be finished tonight!

Cheers.
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
kkernen
kkernen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you, DiapDealer, for being so patient with Kratos. I was having the same problem and it helped me generate a TOC for Kindle. Really appreciate the help!
kkernen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
bodypractor
bodypractor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Still issues with TOC!

This thread is very interesting, but I'm still lost. Please anyone, help! Just as Kratos used to be, I'm a complete beginner and not an IT or web expert. Also, English is not my native language and I sometime find it hard to follow all the technical discussion.

I have exactly the same issue as described here, that is, KindlePreviewer does recognize my inline TOC (that I created in Word) when I try to use the "Go to Table of Contents" functionality. I've done my share of research trying to find a solution and I now understand about the refrence

Here is my current process:
1. In WORD (2003), I generate a TOC.
2. In WORD, I save my Word document as "a Web page, filtered"
3. In CALIBRE (v0.9.10), I convert my "Web page, filtered" into a MOBI file.
4. In KINDLE-PREVIEWER (v2.71), I see the result, being my initial WORD TOC not being recognized by the "Go to Table of Contents" functionality.

I just installed Sigil and tried to follow DiapDealer excellent instructions. As such, the process becomes
1. In WORD, I generate a TOC.
2. In WORD, I save my Word document as "a Web page, filtered"
3. In CALIBRE, I convert my "Web page, filtered" into a PUB file.
4. In SIGIL, I open the EPUB and add the TOC Semantics to my HTML page.
My question is: what should I do from here?

First option:
5. I open the SIGIL-modified EPUB in KINDLE-PREVIEWER.
Great! It works, my initial TOC is now recognized. But I got a few issues:
- the eBook opens up on the page JUST AFTER my TOC. I would like it top open on the TITLE PAGE of the ebook. How should I do that?
- When I freely navigate in the eBook, the format of my "Heading 1" are correct. But when I navigate from the TOC, by clicking a specific chapter, then it takes me to the right chapter, but the "Heading 1" of that chapter is then not formatted anymore. I mean, it has the same format as the body text. If go back and forth with the navigation arrows, the Heading 1 then takes its correct formatting back. Why is that?

Second option:
5. After recording the SIGIL modified EPUB, I then convert it to MOBI using CALIBRE.
Result: my TOC is still not recognized by the "Go to Table of Contents" functionality. But all formating is correct.

Well, I find the process complicated and I guess I feel like I'm a bit lost by the several folders where the files are recorded from the several software. It gives me like a black box impression where things remain blurry in my mind.

I've also tried adding a bookmark to my inline TOC in my Word document, but I've failed to have this work. I've also read about a Word pluggin in some other threads but I failed to have it work, etc. As of today, I'm not sure what to do, to it right and not have an uproferssional looking ebook in the end.

DiapDealer and Kratos, if you're still there, I'd be so grateful if you could advise me. Or any other more advanced person here, for sure. Thanks so much in advance.
bodypractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's OK we should be good. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

If the ToC is in its own HTML file, then while in Sigil... right click on THAT particular html file in the Book Browser (the panel on the left) and on the menu that comes up, go to "Add Semantics" and then select "Table of Contents". If you right-click again and view the "Add Semantics" menu again... "Table of Contents" should have a checkmark beside it. That's what we want.

Save the ePub and close Sigil and then use the Kindle Previewer to convert that ePub (make sure you using the exact one we edited) and see if the "Go to Table of Contents" feature works now.
DiapDealer, you're my personal hero for this year! Works like a charm!
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi, table of contents, toc