Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
Changing a book title - a minor problem

I have a number of books in Mobi format that I have placed on my Kindle 4. I wish to alter the titles of a few of these but am having a slight problem.

I go into Calibre and use Metadata to change the title. All seems to go well and a check in Win Explorer shows that the file name has been changed. I can transfer the book to my Kindle (I delete the old version first) which it does successfully but the title appearing in the Kindle is unchanged.

I have found that what I need to do is, in Calibre, "convert" the book from Mobi to Mobi. When I transfer the new Mobi file to my Kindle it now shows the altered title.

Is this usual or is it just something special to my setup?
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzelius View Post
I have a number of books in Mobi format that I have placed on my Kindle 4. I wish to alter the titles of a few of these but am having a slight problem.

I go into Calibre and use Metadata to change the title. All seems to go well and a check in Win Explorer shows that the file name has been changed. I can transfer the book to my Kindle (I delete the old version first) which it does successfully but the title appearing in the Kindle is unchanged.

I have found that what I need to do is, in Calibre, "convert" the book from Mobi to Mobi. When I transfer the new Mobi file to my Kindle it now shows the altered title.

Is this usual or is it just something special to my setup?
Not unusual
A lot of formats carry the title internally (and that is what some readers use). Others only show the file name.
Conversion updates the internals

BTW to MR
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You should look into Metadata Plugboards - which allow your title to be updated inside the book when it is sent to your Kindle. Avoids the need for a conversion
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Many thanks for the information.

With regard to the use of Metadata Plugboards, I'd be grateful if you could expand a little on it. I followed the link and I can see how they would be useful for automatically adding things like series information (which definitely sounds interesting) but I'm not sure how they could be used for one off corrections to titles.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How are you transferring the books to your Kindle - are you using "Send to device", or are you just directly copying from calibre's library folders in Windows Explorer?

When you use Send to device (or Save to Disk), calibre will update the metadata internally in that exported copy of the book, which happens to be what the Kindle is interested in for display purposes (not the filename which is irrelevant).

Using a metadata plugboard for the Send to Device case ensures that you have more granular control over the metadata written into the book, such as "fudging" the internal title field to contain series information for sorting purposes when displayed on a Kindle. You didn't say in your original post "why" you were adjusting metadata - I pointed you towards plugboards because if you have the data you want specified in column(s) in calibre then a plugboard is the "proper" way to push that into the file. If however you are just adjusting typos, flipping title/author etc for an ad hoc book and not concerned about series information then it isn't directly relevant.

However if you are just directly looking at the books inside calibre's library folders and directly copying from there, that is the "wrong" way to be doing things quite frankly. For a number of reasons (like being a good way to accidentally screw up your library), but of direct relevance to you is that it is not giving calibre a chance to make those internal metadata updates to the exported books. There are 3 ways using calibre that you can get the metadata updated for the copy of the book that exists inside calibre's folders - to do a conversion as you have done, to use the save to disk feature and then re-import it, or in the case of an ePub to use the Modify ePub plugin.
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Berzelius
Connoisseur

Thanks for the detailed reply.

OK, it looks like I am guilty of doing things the "wrong" way - copying files directly from the Calibre library to my Kindle. I suppose it must be the force of habit of years of dragging files around inside Windows Explorer. I shall go away and try doing things by the rules.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzelius View Post
...OK, it looks like I am guilty of doing things the "wrong" way - copying files directly from the Calibre library to my Kindle. I suppose it must be the force of habit of years of dragging files around inside Windows Explorer. ...
I also like dragging the files to my Kindle manually. I often add books to calibre when it's not convenient to download to my Kindle. To keep from forgetting the new addition, I use calibre's Save to Disk to export a newly added and tweaked book to a holding folder. I then have a folder of books ready to move to my Kindle when convenient.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You could add a yes/no column to Calibre to flag a book you don't want to forget.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I also like dragging the files to my Kindle manually. I often add books to calibre when it's not convenient to download to my Kindle. .
I use the Reading List plugin to easily maintain a list of books to be synced when I next connect a specific device. I keep different lists for different devices.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Berzelius
Connoisseur

Just to say that I have now followed Kiwidude's advice and moved the books to my Kindle by the "official" method. Changes to the titles using Metadata are now carried properly across to the Kindle. Lesson learned!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Glad you got what you wanted.

Having steered you towards "Send to Device" with success I can now admit that I rarely use that menu option directly myself any more . I use the Reading list plugin mentioned above instead. I just add stuff to my default list for my Kindle whenever I have the need, such as after editing book content or adding yet another "must read" book on there. The Kindle is usually not plugged in at the time. But the list is setup so that the next time I do all those new/changed books get copied to it, and I also have it updating a tag so I can always see in Calibre what is on my Kindle regardless of being connected or not.