Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
Automatic update to 5.9.2 broken jailbreak?

My PW3, which was successfully jailbroken until yesterday, updated itself to 5.9.2 overnight and now when I try to run my Kindle Launcher I am told "Application Error. The selected application could not be started. Please try again." Restarting the Kindle has made no difference. I must have not set backdoorlock up correctly

Any thoughts on what I could try? I don't want to do anything without advice from one of you experts first, in case I make things worse...
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
makue
Custom User Title
makue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Try this hint from knc1
makue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
On 5.9.2 you should install booklet version of KUAL. It is included in the same archive as kindlet version (azw2) as bin-file.
update: OK, the above link is good.

Last edited by hius07; 11-26-2017 at 11:13 AM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post
My PW3, which was successfully jailbroken until yesterday, updated itself to 5.9.2 overnight and now when I try to run my Kindle Launcher I am told "Application Error. The selected application could not be started. Please try again." Restarting the Kindle has made no difference. I must have not set backdoorlock up correctly

Any thoughts on what I could try? I don't want to do anything without advice from one of you experts first, in case I make things worse...
We hid the answers in the jail break instructions.

The "backdoor lock" has not worked for years (2 or 3 at least).

Firmware 5.9.2 does not support active documents.

Firmware 5.9.2 does not support the current booklet build of KUAL, there is a prototype replacement being evaluated.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Cunning! So... I have installed the nomax hotfix and removed KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 from the Documents folder (although the Kindle Launcher icon still shows on the device - any way of disappearing it?)

Are you saying there is no way at all of getting KUAL working on a 5.9.2 PW3 now (yet)?

Last edited by RandomGiraffe; 11-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cunning! So... I have installed the nomax hotfix and removed KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 from the Documents folder (although the Kindle Launcher icon still shows on the device - any way of disappearing it?)

Are you saying there is no way at all of getting KUAL working on a 5.9.2 PW3 now (yet)?
You will just have to wait until we get things updated here.
You can help shorten the wait by helping to update our add-ins for the changes made by Amazon/Lab126.

Note: They did not ask for our approval before breaking things, nor did they give us any advanced warning.

And I am sure you are keeping up with the jail break status in the first post of the jail break thread:
Quote:
If jailbroken on an earlier firmware version, the jailbreak is known to survive the update to either 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.9.2, 5.8.10, 5.8.11.
Untested with an update to 5.9.2
It should survive an update to any firmware version. It is designed to be viral.

Last edited by knc1; 11-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

No worries. I've had a further browse around and installed Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install_G090G1.bin which has given me back my KUAL.

I will help in any way I can...
Old 11-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Current version of KUAL does work on PW3 5.9.2.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
No worries. I've had a further browse around and installed Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install_G090G1.bin which has given me back my KUAL.

I will help in any way I can...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Current version of KUAL does work on PW3 5.9.2.
Interesting.
I will have to find out why mine does not.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

Strange indeed.

What I'm wondering now, and apologies for going on, is how to get the screensavers working again. I read that MRPI doesn't work on 5.9.2, so I tried copying the python install file to my PW3's root, but it is deleted on ejecting from my laptop.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@hius07: Define 'current'.

@RandomGiraffe: Try the latest snapshots? Hopefully things aren't too wonky on the PW3. No promises, though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
hius07
Wizard

'Current' I meant 2.7, but just now I see 2.7.2. Great! What's new?

Well, I see:
+ Detect the 32GB 'Manga' PW3
+ Detect the Kindle Oasis 2.

Last edited by hius07; 11-26-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
makue
Custom User Title

I can confirm:

KUAL 2.7 is running on my PW3 5.9.2

KUAL 2.7.2 is running on my KOA2 5.9.0.6
Here with limited usage as mrpi does not install anything, but thats expected due to the new layout. Was surprised to see KUAL running at all

Last edited by makue; 11-26-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #14
hius07
Wizard

@makue: Have you tried Koreader or CoolReader?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
makue
Custom User Title

No, at the moment I'm a bit hesitant to install packages I don't know