Old 11-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Uncle_Steve
Uncle_Steve began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo AURA One
Calibre 3.11 on Mint Linux 18.1 doesn't work

Just updated to 3.11 on Mint Linux and get the follow error when running:
Code:
calibre, version 3.11.0
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 293, in initialize_db_stage2
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 233, in start_gui
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 407, in initialize
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/init.py", line 627, in finalize_layout
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/init.py", line 276, in initialize
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/notify.py", line 170, in get_notifier
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/notify.py", line 88, in get_dbus_notifier
  File "site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 211, in __new__
  File "site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 100, in __new__
  File "site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 122, in __new__
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: dbus-launch: /opt/calibre/lib/libdbus-1.so.3: version `LIBDBUS_PRIVATE_1.10.6' not found (required by dbus-launch)
Uncle_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not sure if it will fix this, but there is an emergency update: 3.11.1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Uncle_Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not sure if it will fix this, but there is an emergency update: 3.11.1
That didn't fix it, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Steve View Post
That didn't fix it, but thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks for the feedback, even if we did not win. Kovid will probably step up to the plate.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
It is working with Mint 18.3. My suggestion is to uninstall calibre--using
Code:
sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/*
this will leave your library and config directory alone then reinstall calibre using:
Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda x:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main('/opt')"

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates you have no dbus session bus running, which should not be possible, but in any case, this commit will cause calibre to ignore the error and just disable notifications in such cases. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...6944642ec0b21f
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Uncle_Steve

I normally ssh into the system where this error happened. If I login directly, it works. I'm not sure what happened to make this occur now since I've been working this way for quite some time.

Thanks for the fix.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error indicates you have no dbus session bus running, which should not be possible, but in any case, this commit will cause calibre to ignore the error and just disable notifications in such cases. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...6944642ec0b21f
I hit the same problem when I tried it on 18.2. I don't think it's that there's no dbus session bus running, I think it's a version issue. The error mentions LIBDBUS_PRIVATE_1.10.6 - a strings on /opt/calibre/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 shows
LIBDBUS_PRIVATE_1.10.8. When I copied the system version of libdbus-1.so.3 I found it worked. I was going to mention this but I wasn't really sure that this was a safe or advisable work-around.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the reason it mentions that is because dbus is trying to start a session as there is no existing one running.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote