Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #76
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Deleted...

Last edited by BlackVoid; 01-14-2010 at 03:35 AM.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
People in Europe: order your reader from UK/US. It is silly to worry about the warrantee, these devices do not contain any moving parts, they only break if you crash them.
The UK? If you think that we pay any less, I'm afraid you're mistaken!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #78
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
There is an unwritten law that the US/Uk gets everything cheaper than mainland Europe.

These pricing schemes are ridiculous, I refuse to pay these premiums. NO, IT IS NOT JUST THE TAX.

People in Europe: order your reader from UK/US. It is silly to worry about the warrantee, these devices do not contain any moving parts, they only break if you crash them.
The UK generally is a bit cheaper than mainland Europe, but considering Irex is a Dutch company, it won't work this time. (it also depends on the Euro vs Pound exchange rate)

Ordering from the US generally isn't cheaper: taxes do get added at the border and you have to pay expensive S&H prices.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #79
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Very nice design. I like thin edge from the screen.
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #80
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't forget that the European price includes the Dutch VAT rate of 19%. The US price (obviously) does not.
If the dr800sg will be sold for 399$ in the US, as officially announced by Irex in one of their press releases, then for us Europeans would be more convenient to import it from the US rather than to buy it here in Europe.

399$ at the current exchange rates are about 275€, adding VAT, import duties, etc. (about 35% of the initial price) we get something like 370€, much less than the 499€ Irex is selling the DR800s in Europe.

I think that this high price difference can only be explained by the existence of a subsidizing agreement between Barnes & Noble and Irex.

Last edited by olis; 01-14-2010 at 06:59 AM.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #81
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The UK? If you think that we pay any less, I'm afraid you're mistaken!
I am not mistaken, I have ordered my second PRS-505 from the UK, because it was much cheaper (about 20% less) than from mainland Europe.

From the US of course there may be import tariffs, but you can always ask a fellow MR member to ship a unit with a declared value below your country's limit.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #82
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am not mistaken, I have ordered my second PRS-505 from the UK, because it was much cheaper (about 20% less) than from mainland Europe.
But the PRS-505 is not a European made device. Irex is Dutch.

So, if you buy an American product, via the UK, you'll pay 17.5% VAT (UK VAT rate)
If you buy a Dutch product, via the UK, you'll pay 19% VAT (Dutch VAT rate).

(at least, that's what I understood from the site...)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 01-14-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But the PRS-505 is not a European made device. Irex is Dutch.

So, if you buy an American product, via the UK, you'll pay 15.5% VAT (UK VAT rate)
If you buy a Dutch product, via the UK, you'll pay 19% VAT (Dutch VAT rate).

(at least, that's what I understood from the site...)
Just for the sake of accuracy, the UK VAT rate is 17.5%. It went down to 15% for a year, as a "boost the economy" thing, but now it's back up again.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #84
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just for the sake of accuracy, the UK VAT rate is 17.5%. It went down to 15% for a year, as a "boost the economy" thing, but now it's back up again.
Ah, so that site is out of date
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #85
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
So you do have less tax than we do. Ours is 19.6% (ouch !)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #86
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
So you do have less tax than we do. Ours is 19.6% (ouch !)
Don't worry, there are countries that are even higher: Hungary has a low VAT of 18% (if I remember correctly) and high of 25%.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #87
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Re-read the opening post.

BOb
That seems a little vague, just a mention/interpretation on a website, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Irex makes no mention in their press release or specs. If it does have the ability it would seem to make sense to at least mention it, but I would also be surprised if it doesn't have it given how quickly this device appeared.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #88
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
I hope somebody buys it and writes a review. I was very excited at first by the DR800, now it seems quite crappy. At least they could of put wifi at that price (500€).
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What would you use WiFi for? The device doesn't have a web browser.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #90
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
What would you use WiFi for? The device doesn't have a web browser.
Autosync for daily newspaper and such. The ability to access the ebook store and your ebook archive without needing to tether to a PC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800, dr800s, dr880sg, epub, ereader, irex