Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
Anders
Enthusiast
Anders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Heat problem?

At last the sun is back in my area. Sitting on my balcony reading, I realised my black prs-300 got very hot in the sun. I know, if it is that hot why sit in the sun? But after a long winter... Anyway my question is this:

Can the ebook get overheated? Could it cause damage in any way? Anyone having had problems with this?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
At last the sun is back in my area. Sitting on my balcony reading, I realised my black prs-300 got very hot in the sun. I know, if it is that hot why sit in the sun? But after a long winter... Anyway my question is this:

Can the ebook get overheated? Could it cause damage in any way? Anyone having had problems with this?
I guess, the metal housing of Sony readers is more prone to "collecting" heat than most other readers. But I wouldn't call this "hot", I 'd call it "body temperature" at best.
If it's really "hot", this seems to be a defective unit. There aren't any moving parts, battery consumption is very low - so I wouldn't know which component actually might heat up.
Can you touch it without problems or does "very hot" actually mean "painfully hot"?
What's the outdoor temperature in your region? Laying on the sand in Sahara of course would be killing the unit...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
This is interesting - I have the prs300, and I use it in Singapore. It's v hot and sunny, I never had the reader heat up, though I don't read in direct noonday sun. it's blistering!
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Anders
Enthusiast
Anders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enoughAnders will become famous soon enough

Actually it was not getting burning hot. More than body temperature tough. Nothing dramatic. I was just wondering if there could be any heat damage.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
In general, heat is bad for semiconductors. They give up on the whole semiconducting shtick, throw up their little silicon hands, and just go full-on conductor. Cooking a CPU is an example of this.

However, that's highly unlikely to happen at any temperature in which you can comfortably hold the case. I wouldn't leave it sitting out in the sun when I'm not reading it, though.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Anders. I'm in the south of France (not short of heat and sunshine). What I've found, when I grab an hour off on the terrace, is that my leather flip-top cover serves as much more than just protection, cosmetic appeal and for comfort of reading ... the flap of the flip top (still held in a single hand) shades the screen perfectly and the padding under the leather itself is effective insulation from heat. Best few bucks I ever spent. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Anders
Enthusiast

Thank you for the advice Neil.
I will have a look at these covers. Sounds like a good solution.

Tags
heat