Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
FSK Test-Environment for Autorun Applications under MS-Windows

Even when the title reads PRS-505 this Simulator can be used to test Sripts for all Sony readers. If testing for a touch-device, you can now switch the skin from 505 to 600/350/650 and to 950

As per 2011-05-09
Code for FSK Test-Environment for Autorun Applications under MS-Windows is moved to repository apps, kindly provided by kartu, at his prs+ goolgecode project page.
A, very basic, Wiki-page was created, too.

To get started I would recommend to read at least Post #6, #24 and #31 in this thread.

Original Text, kept for reference:

While more playing around, then really knowing what I'm doing, I was able to modify the Sony-Firmware-Updater for Windows in a way, that three and a half (3 1/2) of six (6) to me known AUTORUN-Applications are working in a Windows-Environment.

This was done mainly to have a test-environment for forthcoming AUTORUN-Apps. As it is annoying to copy from and to and connect and disconnect the reader form and to USB in sequence.

Prerequisite:
Windows OS capable to run the original Sony-Firmware-Updater 1.1.00.18040
a vertical screen-resulution equal or better then 1024 px.

Extract the attached archive to any folder and start "FSK Starter.exe" to start the SUDOKU-Game.
Use KILL-FSK.BAT to cancel the program if it does not start up after a change in *.XML or *.JS code.
Spoiler:
The AUTORUN-Application to start is set via "FSK Test\eBookSim\scripts\eBookSimMain.xml"
[EDIT]
Obsolete, newer versions use menu-sources
[\EDIT]
Code:
<panel id="EINK" skin="panel" left="81" top="37" width="600" height="800"> //E-Ink Display 600x800 
			<!-- Put your AUTORUN-Application.xml here -->
			<view id="VIEW" href="sudoku/sudoku.xml" left="0" top="0" right="0" bottom="0"/>  //-->
			<!--view id="VIEW" href="mahjong/mahjong.xml" left="0" top="0" right="0" bottom="0"/>  //-->
			<!--view id="VIEW" href="fivballs/fiveballs.xml" left="0" top="0" right="0" bottom="0"/>  //-->
			<!--view id="VIEW" href="dict/dictionary.xml" left="0" top="0" right="0" bottom="0"/> //-->	
			<!--view id="VIEW" href="Calc/calculator.xml" left="0" top="0" right="0" bottom="0"/> 	//-->
	</panel>
The AUTORUN.XML files from the PRS-505 had to be modified at these four (4) points:
1) append the <document> Tag with id="DOCUMENT" so that it read like:
Code:
<document xmlns="http://www.kinoma.com/fskin/1" id="DOCUMENT">
2) change the function "loadScript" to use the correct path for the simulator
Code:
    <function id="loadScript">
      	//  var path = kbook.autoRunRoot.path; 		// restore this before use on PRS-Device
   	var path = this.getBaseURI().slice(7);	 	// patch for use in simulator
3) if doDigit is used, chang it this way:
[Edit 2010-06-05] this is no longer neccessary, use the new "eBookSimMain.xml" in the attachment
Code:
            <function id="doDigit" params="part">                           
	            //this.drawDigit(part.key)		// restore this for PRS
	            this.drawDigit(part)			// use this on PC
            </function>
As I can't handle these "part"-thing at the moment
Issue resolved thanks to m-land
[/Edit]

4) replace all occurrences of <kbookLable> with a simple <lable>-Tag

[Edit 26.11.2010]
5) if you are using the X/Y-property of a GUI-item (eg. sprite or button) in the Sim please not that there is a offset of 81/37 pixel difference between test environment and the reader.

This is the offset of EINK (the output-panel) in Sim to the application window.
<panel id="EINK" skin="panel" left="81" top="37" width="600" height="800">
So somehow x,y aren't related to the parent group, but to the application-window.
[/Edit]

Fully working are the three games, Sudoku (©Mikhail Sharonov), Fiveballs and Mahjong (by clemenseken)

DictoLauncher has a working UI, the shell-calls and therewith the actual searching are disabled, also there are some modification in the code, e.g. use of a additional <text> tag to display the results.
Scrolling "should" be easy, as "text" is a descendant of "scroller" and scroller has the methodes .scrollBy(dx,dy), .scrollLine(axis,sing) and .scrollPage(axis, sign) (as defined in fskin)
But unfortunatly this mehtods are "not scriptable", so direct calling of this.textlines.scrollPage(true,1) didn't work :-(
On the PRS-505 in a prs+ environment it should be possible to use var scrollPage=getSoValue(this.textlines,"scrollPage") and then scrollPage.call(true,1);

kartu's prs+installer didn't work in the simulated enviroment, because of heavy use of kbook-related functions
and I didn't check igorsk Universal-Flasher in the simulator.

Next to expect is a scientific-calculator, see screenshots - released here

Attachments removed, moved to repository apps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calculatior-PRS.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	52208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calculatior-Sim.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	52209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sudoku-Sim.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	52210  

Last edited by Mark Nord; 02-28-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Newer Code postet in Post #24
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
m-land
Enthusiast
m-land has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505
Really nice work! I have a question: from where you know what is possible in XML files/how to create them? I'm trying to find some clue how to use all these style, cutout and so on stuff...
m-land is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-land View Post
Really nice work! I have a question: from where you know what is possible in XML files/how to create them? I'm trying to find some clue how to use all these style, cutout and so on stuff...
Hi, m-land!

Glad you like it.

But sorry to say that I did what you already wrote:
Quote:
I have several questions regarding PRS+ developement. I'm able to find some information reading PRS+ sources, but....

XML file items. Is somewhere documentation of this file content? OK, I can simply 'modify' some working XML but most probably I'll never find a lot of stuff that could be done in XML.

script methods Is somewhere list/description of methods that are available? Once again I can go current .js files one by one but for sure there is much more methods available...
As I wrote in the starting post, i haven't found the philosopher's stone to FSK, instead I just read, and re-read and search all available code, guessed, made assumptions and tried and tried again. (See the crippled code in DictoLauncher, and guess why there is this KILL-FSK.BAT)

Valuable sources are especially the XML-Files in PRS-505 FSK.img (new_opt.img), the files in the Sony-Firmware-Updater and at least the Reader-Library Files.

Regarding methodes and properties, scan the "defsk-ed" *.xsb, *.xso and *.so files.
If you don't have it by now and can't finde Igorsk "deFsk0.2", as I can't find the link right in the moment, ask and I will post it for you.

What's possible in XML / JS can be found by try and error, or by using prs+ core dumpingcode "dumpToString" as integrated in the "dictionary.js"
If a, fully qualified methode dumps as "a function" you can call it form XML or JS, even if the parent object is dumped as "object with no propertys", if the dump says "undefined" we have bad luck and can't use the function directly.
But on the PRS-505 with PRS+ the way over soGetValue and calling the retrieved function should be possible.

I also din't start XML files form the scratch, but started to modify existing ones, with a plain code editor like JEdit (as recommended by kartu) or EditPadPro, which is used by me. Both are capable of saving the code in UTF-8, if configured correctly.

Regarding this style, skin and cutout-stuff, this all reminds me, the one and other way, to plain old HTML-coding. Examine the code of the games, play with it in this simulator, and see what happens.

I also found that assumptions often works well.
In the original updater code a <noGrowBorder> is defined.
In "connectAssets.xml" there is a style and skin "growBorder",so I simply tried the <growBorder> Tag and it works.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
m-land
Enthusiast

Hi Mark,
Based on answers to my previous question (as you quotet it here) I got deFsk (btw here: http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...k/DeFsk_02.zip) and studied generated files for some days - really a lot of new information for me. Today I spent whole day playing with your test enviro and I'm stuck with XML. For text element you used skin fileText. I found its definition, I found another definitions as well, but after all my experiments I have not clue what particular parts mean...
OK, I'll continue the same way
Old 05-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
VICTORSJG
Addict
VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Mark Nord

Could you upload the scripts of the calculator? Is it posible to incorporated the calculator in PRS+?

Thanks
VICTORSJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

m-land:
Ok, lets parse the <text> TAG used:
<text id="textlines" // a name to adress the object
skin="fileText" // skin actually used, definition is in simAssets.xml
left="213" right="157" top="207" height="395" // position in respect of the parent
align="left" // no comment
active="false" // doesn't accept input, If "true" you can type in code (at least under windows)
value="textlines"/> // the initial text to be displayed/used
variable = "anyvar" // a variable defined by <variable id="anyvar" value="textlines"> to be displayed in "textlines"
Lets look on the skin "fileText" which I used because it uses smaller textsize then the text-skin.
<skin id="fileText"
cutouts="text-lt, // Left Top // cutouts defines the visual appearance of the "GUI element"
text-ct, // Center Top
text-rt, // Right Top
text-lm, // Left Middle
text-cm, // Center Middle
text-rm, // Right Middle
text-lb, // Left Bottom
text-cb, // Center Bottom
text-rb" // Right Bottom
styles="text-e, // styles defines the appearance of text
text-e,
text-p,
text-s"/>
the cutouts are defined this way:
<texture href="simAssets.png"> // look for the used grafic in this file
<cutout id="null" x="0" y="0" width="0" height="0"/>
<cutout id="text-lt" x="306" y="6" width="9" height="9" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-ct" x="315" y="6" width="30" height="9" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-rt" x="345" y="6" width="9" height="9" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-lm" x="306" y="15" width="9" height="30" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-cm" x="315" y="15" width="30" height="30" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-rm" x="345" y="15" width="9" height="30" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-lb" x="306" y="45" width="9" height="9" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-cb" x="315" y="45" width="30" height="9" lines="60"/>
<cutout id="text-rb" x="345" y="45" width="9" height="9" lines="60"/>
// lines: grafic is repeated for different "State" all 60 Lines, x, y, width and height are obvious
// columns: does the same in horizontal direction
text-styles comes from:
<style font="Arial" size="14">
<style id="text-e" halign="left" left="4" top="4" right="4" bottom="4"> // E<nabled
<style id="text-d" color="#959595" background="#6D6D6D"/> // D<isabled
<style id="text-p" background="#B49AFF"/> // P<ressed
<style id="text-s" background="#B49AFF"/> // S<selected (thank's m-land)
</style>
And here are also styles for the four (4) STATES of the element!

As far as I can see, that's all that's done/defined here

victorsjg:
I will upload the scripts and assets when, and only when they reach a public "beta" state. (Expect them in Mid-June)
At the moment I'm pleased with the UI, but have to finish some internals and sort out a problem with doDigit() on the PRS-505.
Calculator is already running as a "addon" in prs+ on my reader (still with the german v1.4 firmware), but the code will be released as autorun-script, and have kartu to decide if he wants to include it into prs+

kartu:
Thanks for the "Fantastic!"

Last edited by Mark Nord; 05-30-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
m-land
Enthusiast

Thanks for explanation, I must be blind with these cutouts.
Regarding text styles:
e-enabled
d-disabled
p-???
s-selected (I found)

BTW: bulet you use in FSK test enviro in dictionary leads real reader to hang-up So I have to return to ugly *. Now I have dictio with text item working, I'm finishing changing font size in runtime. I'll make this public when finished.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
BTW: bulet you use in FSK test enviro in dictionary leads real reader to hang-up:
Is your Code-Editor configured to save the file as UTF-8?
If saved in UTF-8 the reader is perfectly capable of displaying all kinds of symbols.
As a work around you can try to define
Code:
var szBul = String.fromCharCode(149)
But please don't trust on the "149"

HTH
Old 05-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
m-land
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Is your Code-Editor configured to save the file as UTF-8?
If saved in UTF-8 the reader is perfectly capable of displaying all kinds of symbols.
As a work around you can try to define
Code:
var szBul = String.fromCharCode(149)
But please don't trust on the "149"

HTH
Hmmm, really strange.
UTF-8 => reader hangs (even with not bullet)
ASCII with bullet => reader hangs
ASCII with String.fromCharCode(149) => 'squers' are displayed
It costs me another couple of reboots, I'll let it be for now
Old 05-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
m-land
Are you sure you can trust your editor? Reader handles UTF-8 strings in both script/xml files just fine.

Mark Nord
Quote:
Calculator is already running as a "addon" in prs+ on my reader (still with the german v1.4 firmware), but the code will be released as autorun-script, and have kartu to decide if he wants to include it into prs+
Well, why not. Someone will come up with extended version of: "please build PRS+ without games and dictionary... and calculator" but hey... Including them costs next to nothing, it's anyway in firmware and it's anyway loaded lazily.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
m-land
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
m-land
Are you sure you can trust your editor? Reader handles UTF-8 strings in both script/xml files just fine.
Not, I'm not I try Notepad (I know, ugly) and Visual Studio (my normal working tool - I quite belive it, but who knows...) I'll give it a try another day once again... Now I'd like to finish dictionary
Old 05-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
Regarding text styles:
e-enabled
d-disabled
p-???
s-selected (I found)
The last style is: p-pressed,

just to have this complete
Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
VICTORSJG
Addict
VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Is it posible to modify it to use in screen with resolution 1280x800?

thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORSJG View Post
Is it posible to modify it to use in screen with resolution 1280x800?

thanks
As the PRS-505 has a screen-resolution of 600x800 Pixels, and I know no way to "scale" the output, I have had to change the button layout.
But if you can live without the exact look and feel of a PRS-505 copy the two files in the attachment over the original ones and have a look.

[EDIT] 31.05.2010 exchanged "eBookSimMain.xml" So that SUDOKU is the started App.
[/EDIT]
Attached Files
File Type: xml simAssets.xml (21.0 KB, 495 views)
File Type: xml eBookSimMain.xml (8.6 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by Mark Nord; 05-31-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
VICTORSJG
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
As the PRS-505 has a screen-resolution of 600x800 Pixels, and I know no way to "scale" the output, I have had to change the button layout.
But if you can live without the exact look and feel of a PRS-505 copy the two files in the attachment over the original ones and have a look.
I've changed the old scripts for these ones and the applicattion doesn't run.