Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #196
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
If there is no flash to black, there is no refresh. It's as simple as that, AFAICT. If you don't believe me, take a look at the status bar when you flip pages - it gets refreshed along with the rest of the screen (and goes through full black as well) and that's a full page refresh.

OTOH, some refreshes seem to not even need a full white-black-white (or grey) cycle. Like the forementioned sync icon, which is grey on black. It would seem that only switching through the extremes of contrast range requires a full recycle/repolarisation.

Anyhow, the point is - if the rest of the image remains unchanged/unaffected/static throughout the refresh, it most definately is a localized refresh.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #197
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I'm such a newb that I haven't even received my Reader yet. I checked the wiki, and searched this thread, and I note one HUGE omission...

Mac Support!

You can sort of do it by hand from what I've read -- the Mac will mount the reader and you can create the proper directory layout and move the files yourself -- similar to how I use the my PSP. But the supplied software doesn't support the Mac AFAIK.

Sony should support the Mac equivalent to their PC support. And this should be added to the wiki alongside the Linux support request.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #198
texag
texag began at the beginning.

Pie--

Completely agree about the Mac support! Purchasing a product for this price should not entail "work arounds". I won't purchase this, even though i really want to, until there is official Mac support.

I will, however, purchase the first real alternative that comes out and supports Macs.

The Connect store is a web based program. It can't be that difficult to make it available for Macs. I wonder what the real story is?
texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #199
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Well it's web based like iTunes is web based, meaning the store part gets its data feed from the internet but the rest of the stuff including the store "shell" is local. I don't know how Sony is with their other products and Mac support, like is their Mac support for the Connect music side? What about other stuff like the minidisk players, MP3 players, etc...?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #200
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Traditionally, Sony hasn't been interested in supporting the smaller number of Mac users. Their clie pda's, music players, etc all needed windows.

Some of it is related to DRM, but mostly it just isn't worth it for them to spend the money on extra software and customer support. I don't see apple providing ipod support for Linux users.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #201
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Smart bookmark, not based on page numbers. So when I switch between font size settings I won't find that all my bookmark still point to the original page which now has completely different content.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #202
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
I still want a delete function.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #203
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo
Traditionally, Sony hasn't been interested in supporting the smaller number of Mac users. Their clie pda's, music players, etc all needed windows.

Some of it is related to DRM, but mostly it just isn't worth it for them to spend the money on extra software and customer support. I don't see apple providing ipod support for Linux users.
This is a "two wrongs make a right" argument. Besides, Apple DOES support Windows for iTunes.

And let's be blunt, the Connect Software is a blatant rip-off of the iTunes interface... and yet it's not available on the Mac. Hard not to call that ironic!

Mac Support needs to be on the Wiki.

-Pie
Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #204
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Most of sony software is in that kind if interface. They cover the windows window-frame. How they cover it is sometimes inconsistent but I cannot remember a Sony app that doesnt...
Also, Sony has VAIO. Why would they be interested in MAC?

I guess its just poor marketing prowess like most other Japanese companies... they can sell good hardware... but the software always sucks.
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #205
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsan
Also, Sony has VAIO. Why would they be interested in MAC?
I think you've nailed it here. The Mac is actually a competitor with the Vaio, so they choose not to support it.

Still wish someone knew why the heck Sony's CEO was on stage at Steve Jobs' keynote last year. Then again, I don't think even HE knew why he was there!

-Pie
Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To add to the wish list, the ability to add more ebook formats such as LIT format and PDB format. This would help people migrate to the Sony Reader with books they may already own without having to repurchase the books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #207
melechmet
melechmet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melf
Something like "manga reading mode" in picture wievieng

How about CBR/CBZ support?
melechmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #208
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melechmet
How about CBR/CBZ support?
No need. All they are are ZIP files with graphics inside Can be made into PDF (formatted for the reader) or LRF or just put on the reader as is once decompressed. No need for the overhead for an unzip.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #209
banjopicker
banjopicker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
CBR/CBZ

Native support for CBR/CBZ would be nice though. There is no really good way to automate the conversion to PDF, and besides, I would rather not convert at all. Since these files are just compressed jpegs, it shouldn't be too difficult to display them in a reader-like way. And it would dramatically expand the available library for the reader in one fell swoop.
banjopicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #210
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjopicker
Native support for CBR/CBZ would be nice though. There is no really good way to automate the conversion to PDF, and besides, I would rather not convert at all. Since these files are just compressed jpegs, it shouldn't be too difficult to display them in a reader-like way. And it would dramatically expand the available library for the reader in one fell swoop.
All you need to is uncompress the ZIP file and make sure the names are in some sort of order and then upload to the reader and view. It's that easy.