Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Annoying

The file Poetry.ePub here, generated with Sigil, looks good on the Sigil editor screen. The html code has been checked using Sigil and Evrsoft.

(spurious div.sgc-1 {font-size: 19px;}
div.sgc-2 {text-align: left;}
div.sgc-3 {text-align: center;}
removed [makes no difference left in or removed] ).

I can only check the result in ADE, and it is appalling - can anyone see where there is a 'problem' with the code ?

The ADE import seems to be ignoring the <br /> tags - which it also does on the front page of Further Ramblings .... but these tags are inserted by Sigil - not me....

I've created and re-created this file umpteen times with no improvement and I am getting very annoyed with this ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mmmm perhaps I should use <p> tags or go back to manually inserting <pre> tags ?
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In ePub, don't use <pre></pre> tags. They don't wrap and it's possible for things to be shoved off to the right past the endge of the screen or past the edge of ADE. Use <div></div> instead of <pre></pre>.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-16-2009 at 12:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In ePub, don't use <pre></pre> tages. They don't wrap and it's possible for things to be shoved off to the right past the endge of the screen or past the edge of ADE. Use <div></div> instead of <pre></pre>.

Thanks Jon,

in that case I'm even more unsure as to why the file doesn't look right in ADE (unless it is ADE that is causing the problems).
Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I get a chance, I'll have a look and see if I can see what might be wrong.
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems that ADE doesn't like a div that contains only a <br /> - it ignores it and doesn't allocate any space for it.

You could use & n b s p ; instead of the <br .>, but I'd recommend re-coding with more semantic mark-up, rather than explicitly putting a blank line between verses. Perhaps like this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN'
'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd'>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="../styles/style001.css" type="text/css" />
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<h3 id="heading_id_14">....and memories too.</h3>
<div class="verse">
<p>I’d rather go, where the crowds be thin,</p>
<p>no hustle, bustle, and other such din.</p>
<p>Somewhere where the sun shines,</p>
<p>and the wines</p>
<p>don’t make my head spin.</p>
</div>
<div class="verse">
<p>I’d rather go, where the air is pure,</p>
<p>water clear, and pains can cure.</p>
<p>Somewhere where my heart can rest,</p>
<p>and the best</p>
<p>of all, to be good and sure.</p>
</div>
<div class="verse">
<p>I’d rather go, where pace of life is slow,</p>
<p>no fast moving cars, nor brats in tow.</p>
<p>Somewhere not too far away</p>
<p>but far enough to avoid the fray.</p>
<p>I’d rather go and just lie low.</p>
<p>just me and you</p>
<p>and memories too.</p>
</div>
<div class="copyright">© 28 May 2009</div>
</body>
</html>

and then in the CSS have

div.verse { margin: 1em 0 }
div.verse p { text-indent: 0; margin: 0 }

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
The file Poetry.ePub here, generated with Sigil, looks good on the Sigil editor screen. The html code has been checked using Sigil and Evrsoft.

(spurious div.sgc-1 {font-size: 19px;}
div.sgc-2 {text-align: left;}
div.sgc-3 {text-align: center;}
removed [makes no difference left in or removed] ).

I can only check the result in ADE, and it is appalling - can anyone see where there is a 'problem' with the code ?

The ADE import seems to be ignoring the <br /> tags - which it also does on the front page of Further Ramblings .... but these tags are inserted by Sigil - not me....

I've created and re-created this file umpteen times with no improvement and I am getting very annoyed with this ....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #7
GeoffC

Thanks Jon; much appreciate your input and time.

Thanks pdurrant very much appreciated. It means a lot of re-writing, but you've increased my knowledge of html a wee bit more ....
Old 10-17-2009, 04:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems that ADE doesn't like a div that contains only a <br /> - it ignores it and doesn't allocate any space for it.
I reported this on this very group a while ago .

A "DIV" with a few spaces in it works just fine, crude though it may be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

some of us come to these things later than others ......

also part of a learning trajectory .
Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I do think a <br/> might work. have to check to be sure.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think a <br/> might work. have to check to be sure.

there were <br /> tags in the original and they seemingly did not work.

i do not know how the 'book' looks in a 'normal' reader - no one has said whether it is ok or not ....
Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I did fix it... I replaced all the <br /> with <div>&nbsp;</div> and it worked fine as far as getting line spaces.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
GeoffC

I got there in the end ....

A great way to learn by making mistakes.

I could not understand errors from epubcheck _ until I started thinking more outside of the box...

errors
epub xhtml files with internal css stylesheet ...
image extension JPG instead of jpg
file names Contentxx instead of contentxx
navpoint instead of navPoint

Discovered SciTe to be useful editor for .opf file and the toc
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
So case sensitive, I see
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
So case sensitive, I see

jUst LikE mE ...... :chuckles: