Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #391
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
In a way, I kinda wish that I had known of the pocket pro when I bought my 505 (Trust me, I dug around your website before I bought). I might have waited that extra month or so (I didn't feel like importing a V3). My biggest gripe about the V3, being the page controls are on the left, seems to be rectified via the jog switch.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #392
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The Pocket PRO comes with a USB cable for charging and an AC Adapter. I am attaching a picture of the USB port on the Pocket PRO.
As you can see, this is a mini-USB port. Assuming it is the same as the EZ Reader, there is a provided mini-USB to USB-A cable and the USB-A end can plug into either a desktop/laptop PC or to the provided charger. I bought another mini-USB to USB-A cable to use when connecting to my PC so that the provided one can stay attached to the charger. You may very well have one of these already, I had one for my Kindle but decided I needed a dedicated cable.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #393
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The USB mini-b connector is extremely common, and I'd wager everyone here has at least a half dozen. Only thing is, some companies cut corners and have it so they only hook up the data portion, and not the power, but still a big chunk will still work for charging.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #394
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Here is a problem that I have with my Cell Phone Watch. It charges with a miniUSB.

However, every USB cord i use, either makes it shut down immediately, or gives an over charge warning, except for the cord it came with.

I have no clue why, but it's aggravating having to carry this one cord everywhere I go, instead of using the cords at work.

GRRRRRR!

If anyone can tell me the difference, or shed some light, I'd be grateful.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #395
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Here is a problem that I have with my Cell Phone Watch. It charges with a miniUSB.

However, every USB cord i use, either makes it shut down immediately, or gives an over charge warning, except for the cord it came with.

I have no clue why, but it's aggravating having to carry this one cord everywhere I go, instead of using the cords at work.

GRRRRRR!

If anyone can tell me the difference, or shed some light, I'd be grateful.

griffonwing, I've seen mention of your cellphone watch a few times now, and I've been intrigued by the idea of it. So I finally decided to Google it to check it out. My god, do you actually wear that thing on your wrist?!? I mean, it's a cool idea, and it definitely could be useful. But it really does look like someone stuck a wriststrap onto a cellphone. And have you considered getting one of these to go with it?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #396
Hellmark
Wizard

I'd say there is something special in the cord to auto set the amperage pulled from the host.

USB ports can vary the amount of power pulled from the host port, with the USB spec showing anywhere from 100 to 500 milliamp (if I remember right, may even be just a step from 100 to 500, and nothing in between). However, sometimes fishy things can be done to step it up, or adjust it. They may trade off voltage for more amperage, or even just a voltage step down. USB is 5 volt, and for smaller electronics, 3.3 volts is a popular figure. If this voltage stepdown is done via a resistor in the cable (which may very well be the case, to save space in the watch), that would explain the differences.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #397
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The factory User Manual does state that you should do the deep cycle routine a few times when you first get the device.

...There was no repurcussion from my frequent "half-full" charging.
Thanks Robert! That answers my question.

Last edited by GA Russell; 08-19-2009 at 02:22 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #398
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
The V3 had page controls on both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
In a way, I kinda wish that I had known of the pocket pro when I bought my 505 (Trust me, I dug around your website before I bought). I might have waited that extra month or so (I didn't feel like importing a V3). My biggest gripe about the V3, being the page controls are on the left, seems to be rectified via the jog switch.
Dear Hellmark:

The EZ Reader Basic 6 inch (V3) did have page controls on both left and right. The "9" and "0" buttons serve this function perfectly on the right hand side.

It is this way still on the Pocket PRO... page controls on the left, "9" and "0" buttons on the right, scroll wheel.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #399
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Just pre-ordered mine, can't wait. Just hope it's better than the PRS505 I had that I gave away after two weeks

Robertb any ideas on when they're likely to be shipped and how long it's likely to take to get to the UK (barring bloody customs of course!)?

I'm looking forward to having a play and hope it lives up to expectations, if not I'm coming after you personally Robert J/K... Honest...
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #400
Hellmark
Wizard

With the way I hold mine, I prefer the far edge, where the dial is. Harder to hold for when the buttons are inboard like the 6" has.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #401
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Then I have no worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
Just pre-ordered mine, can't wait. Just hope it's better than the PRS505 I had that I gave away after two weeks

Robertb any ideas on when they're likely to be shipped and how long it's likely to take to get to the UK (barring bloody customs of course!)?

I'm looking forward to having a play and hope it lives up to expectations, if not I'm coming after you personally Robert J/K... Honest...
Dear Mnementh:

I am not worried only because I know you will love it. It does everything really well and if you got more for your $199USD you might want to dance in the streets.

Seriously, I am positive that when these Pocket PROs finally arrive there is going to be a landslide of praise (not for me... for the Pocket PRO)! I think, for what it is worth, that there is no better value and no more handsome colors, and nothing that matches the combination of convenience and features.

Everything is still on course and we still expect to ship out August 31. NOW, realize that looks damned good and firm... but I cannot predict the future quite yet. I see no problem, yet, that will prevent this but I will not breath well until they are in the warehouse.

Shipping time across the pond (ocean) is projected to be 5-7 days, from what they have told me. Please don't beat me if the freight is faster!

I SUGGEST TO ALL that they go to: www.theEZreader.com and (under SUPPORT) click on the FAQ sheet and start reading. IF you want to learn a lot before it arrives that is a great way. The FAQ sheet up right now is for the EZ Reader Basic but operation is very similar. I am, today, doing a new FAQ for the Pocket PRO!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #402
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post

griffonwing, I've seen mention of your cellphone watch a few times now, and I've been intrigued by the idea of it. So I finally decided to Google it to check it out. My god, do you actually wear that thing on your wrist?!? I mean, it's a cool idea, and it definitely could be useful. But it really does look like someone stuck a wriststrap onto a cellphone. And have you considered getting one of these to go with it?
I've seen that before. It was before I owned a bluetooth phone, but I would actually consider purchasing. As you can tell, I like eccentric things.
I actually purchased a Motorola M9 bluetooth earphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I'd say there is something special in the cord to auto set the amperage pulled from the host.

USB ports can vary the amount of power pulled from the host port, with the USB spec showing anywhere from 100 to 500 milliamp (if I remember right, may even be just a step from 100 to 500, and nothing in between). However, sometimes fishy things can be done to step it up, or adjust it. They may trade off voltage for more amperage, or even just a voltage step down. USB is 5 volt, and for smaller electronics, 3.3 volts is a popular figure. If this voltage stepdown is done via a resistor in the cable (which may very well be the case, to save space in the watch), that would explain the differences.
I've tried cords with and without the bulky resistor, but neither helped. Only the cord it came with, which has no bulky addition.

Thanks.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #403
Hellmark
Wizard

Resistors don't have to be bulky. One to drop from 5v to 3.3v would be fairly tiny. They could easily work in a resistor and change nothing appearance wise.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #404
donslade
donslade doesn't litterdonslade doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, Nook STR, Kindle PW3
The bulky cylindrical item on most USB and other data cables are not resistors. They are 'RF Chokes' to reduce or eliminate possible RF interference or noise from entering or leaving the connected devices since the data cables can act as antennae. Any interference received or transmitted can cause corrupt data, power surges, etc. which can adversely affect the devices connected or even nearby devices not physically connted.

There are also at least 2 different types of mini-USB connectors that can be called 'standard', and of course some non-standard versions that are specific to certain devices. Here is a good place to start if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...Mini_and_Micro
donslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #405
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As you can see, this is a mini-USB port. Assuming it is the same as the EZ Reader, there is a provided mini-USB to USB-A cable and the USB-A end can plug into either a desktop/laptop PC or to the provided charger. I bought another mini-USB to USB-A cable to use when connecting to my PC so that the provided one can stay attached to the charger. You may very well have one of these already, I had one for my Kindle but decided I needed a dedicated cable.
Thanks. I already have a couple of charges from other devices, including a car charger, so I should be set.

Robert,
I want my pocket pro NOW! .... please
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote