Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
BobF
BobF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Author(s) & Author Sort

First off, thank you Kovid for such a great product!

I have a question about "Author(s)" and "Author Sort" meta info in calibre.

I had assumed that I could put the authors name in the format "First Last", and then in "Author Sort", enter "Last, First". That way my authors list would display "First Last", while sorting by last name...

...but it doesn't seem to work that way on my Sony PRS-505.

What is the purpose of the "Author Sort" field?
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
...but it doesn't seem to work that way on my Sony PRS-505.

What is the purpose of the "Author Sort" field?
I think it works that way in calibre itself. The Sony uses the authors name in the LRF metadata to do its sort.

I think to change the author name in the LRF you would have to reconvert it from the source format. Not even sure this is possible. I assume it puts the author name into the metadata and not author sort name.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah the sony reader is rather finicky about where it gets metadata from. At some point I have to spend some time debugging this and figuring out exactly what the reader is getting its metadata from (the ebooks file itself or the media.xml database). Unfirtunately I have other priorities at the moment
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
The reader used to reflect --author-sort with the original firmware, but does not do that anymore with the new firmware, even if I take care to create appropriate records in cache.xml manually.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
At some point I have to spend some time debugging this and figuring out exactly what the reader is getting its metadata from (the ebooks file itself or the media.xml database).
I can save you some time with this.

As far as I can tell, the Reader reads metadata only from media.xml. Even if the data is clearly incorrect or even not present in media.xml (e.g. you manually remove it), the Reader will not reread the metadata from the book itself.

But (you knew there would be a but, right?) there is a catch: That is only true as far as the XML record for the book is valid - that is, at the very least file path, file date (either creation date or modification date, depending on whether you use internal memory or a memory card) and file size match in XML and in the filesystem (and it is possible, but not certain, that the ID in XML must be sequential). If any of these values does not match, the old XML record is deleted and new one is created; at this point, metadata is reread from the book for the purpose of XML generation. But the actual display of the metadata is, once again, done from the XML itself - if you were to modify the XML file now, the Reader would display the modified metadata.
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah makes sense, that's about what I though was happening (apart from the bit about creation and modification times which I hadn't realized).

Is it true that the new firmware doesn't use the reading attribute from LRF files any more? i.e. if I set --author-sort on a lrf file using lrf-meta and just copy it to the reader (without touching media.xml) it will use --author and not --author-sort from the LRF file?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Is it true that the new firmware doesn't use the reading attribute from LRF files any more? i.e. if I set --author-sort on a lrf file using lrf-meta and just copy it to the reader (without touching media.xml) it will use --author and not --author-sort from the LRF file?
It is true.

And there is more - even if you add authorSorter attribute to the XML manually, the Reader will ignore it. That is, with new firmware - it used to work with the old firmware.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm so the only way to get it to respect sorted author is to set the author. Sigh.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
BobF
BobF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
It is true.

And there is more - even if you add authorSorter attribute to the XML manually, the Reader will ignore it. That is, with new firmware - it used to work with the old firmware.
I just tried adding authorSorter to the xml file, and it didn't work for me either. It actually regenerated the meta info, because I lost my bookmarks for the book. So it must not even recognize authorSorter as a valid attribute.

I Hope they fix it in a future firmware update.

Last edited by BobF; 09-25-2008 at 12:40 PM.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I just tried adding authorSorter to the xml file, and it didn't work for me either. It actually regenerated the meta info, because I lost my bookmarks for the book. So it must not even recognize authorSorter as a valid attribute.
In that case you did something wrong, because I know for a fact that a record with authorSorter is considered valid by the reader, even with the new firmware.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
frankie_g
frankie_g began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
So is changing the author's name to "Surname, First Name" the only way to get the 505 to sort by the author's last name?

I'd rather not have to, but it is very annoying to have the reader sorting by first name, I keep looking in the wrong place. If it makes any difference I'm using the UK current firmware --- 1.2.00.18050

Also---many thanks for the Calibre software, having software for the 505 that works on linux is fabulous!
frankie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
I have a PRS-700 and was trying to edit the metadata to list author and book title. What I got when I transferred these books to the reader was booktitle, by author all on one line.
Example: Cross Country by James Patterson.pdf when I sort by author. All of the source files are .pdf. Is there a way to separate the info?
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote