Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #76
shanec
shanec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all. Just jumping into this community for the first time and looking forward to communicating with everyone more. I just bought my first reader, a Kindle. Really loving it. I downloaded PDFRead and was so awed to see how well it worked. To the creator of PDFRead, thank you very much. It is a great product.

I downloaded it on a friends computer and it worked fine. Since then I have tried it on my windows XP system and a Ubuntu system using the commandline. Both times without fail the CMDline will will get to the point of saying "Creating MobiPocket Ebook ... Done" and will spit out the temp directory path and cause a window to pop up pointing to the images and HTML. I look for the prc and it was not created.

Has anyone ran across this problem? I am choosing the basic iLiad settings, using it just as I did on my friends computer but still it is not creating the PRC.

Anyone help would be greatly appreciated.
Shanec
shanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #77
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanec View Post
Hi all. Just jumping into this community for the first time and looking forward to communicating with everyone more. I just bought my first reader, a Kindle. Really loving it. I downloaded PDFRead and was so awed to see how well it worked. To the creator of PDFRead, thank you very much. It is a great product.
I just tweaked it; the original author was ashkulz (he is also here on mobileread.com).

Quote:
I downloaded it on a friends computer and it worked fine. Since then I have tried it on my windows XP system and a Ubuntu system using the commandline. Both times without fail the CMDline will will get to the point of saying "Creating MobiPocket Ebook ... Done" and will spit out the temp directory path and cause a window to pop up pointing to the images and HTML. I look for the prc and it was not created.
Did you try the same ebook as on your friends computer? or a different one. It appears that perhaps the ebook you are converting has run into an error creating the .imp and so "pops" up the temp directory for you to investigate further. Did you place an empty file 'debug' in the pdfread install directory? If not, then the original file may have some incompatiblity. Would it be possible to post your source (if not copyrighted) so that I can have a look at it; otherwise you can email it to me at 'nrapallo (at) yahoo (dot) ca'

Quote:
Has anyone ran across this problem? I am choosing the basic iLiad settings, using it just as I did on my friends computer but still it is not creating the PRC.

Anyone help would be greatly appreciated.
Shanec
Try converting a simple file first to see if your installation at least works for an "easy" conversion. Try https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4489#post74489
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #78
shanec
shanec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks to you both. Great Program

I tried several PDFs. Even some that converted fine before on friends computer. I have tried on two different computers, one with XP and one with Ubuntu. Friends computer had XP.

I did not try the debug file. I just added it and tried 5 pages on a given pdf but same thing. There was nothing written to the blank file. Does the debug file trigger debug info to be written? If so should it be written in the file or in some other file

Just emailed you one of the PDFs. Appreciate your help,
shanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #79
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanec View Post
Thanks to you both. Great Program

I tried several PDFs. Even some that converted fine before on friends computer. I have tried on two different computers, one with XP and one with Ubuntu. Friends computer had XP.

I did not try the debug file. I just added it and tried 5 pages on a given pdf but same thing. There was nothing written to the blank file. Does the debug file trigger debug info to be written? If so should it be written in the file or in some other file

Just emailed you one of the PDFs. Appreciate your help,
I just sent back a sample .prc output for your kindle. The input file may contain compatibility errors, so I just re-saved it using Acrobat (not reader) before doing the PDFRead conversion.

Let me know if it worked for you too.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #80
nrapallo

ShaneC,

Another thing, try using the Profile prc-mobi instead of the iLiad one. It worked for me with the former and not with the latter. Must be a bug in the code when using the iLiad profile. I'll check.

In the meantime, if you want the iLiad's dimensions, then use the Size H: (horizontal) V: (vertical) GUI options with the prc-mobi profile.

p.s. it may also help if you delete the 'pdfread.ini' in the install directory ("C\Program files\PDFRead") to have a "clean slate" when starting PDFRead...

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-23-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added suggestion to delete pdfread.ini for a fresh start...
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #81
C-3PO
C-3PO began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
nrapallo,

PDFRead is a great program. Thanks for your work.

I recently had PDFRead 1.82 hung up while processing a pdf. It seemed to stop after showing "rasterize". Is there a remedy for that. It stopped at the same page for that pdf file.
C-3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #82
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-3PO View Post
nrapallo,

PDFRead is a great program. Thanks for your work.

I recently had PDFRead 1.82 hung up while processing a pdf. It seemed to stop after showing "rasterize". Is there a remedy for that. It stopped at the same page for that pdf file.
You're welcome!

The .pdf may be corrupt or be produced by a recent Acrobat creator. Try resaving the .pdf file (if possible) using an eariler version of Adobe Acrobat (not the reader).

Otherwise, if you would like me to try converting it, email me at 'nrapallo (at) yahoo (dot) ca'
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 AM   #83
C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

EDIT: For Sony PRS-500/505 users only, added test .zip to replace current pdfread.exe and library.zip in bin directory of the PDFRead install. Please report if there is any improvement utilizing the max. screen area using the 583, 753 and 800 "hard-coded" values. Thanks.
nrapallo,

There are improvements especially using 800. I think it could go to 850 to fill the screen. Can you recompile another test binary to allow 850?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #84
nrapallo

Quote:
nrapallo,

There are improvements especially using 800. I think it could go to 850 to fill the screen. Can you recompile another test binary to allow 850?
But 800x600 is the max size of the reader's screen. Won't anything larger just get shrunk down? Remember, it's a .lrf that's displayed, not a .pdf.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #85
C-3PO

Quote:
But 800x600 is the max size of the reader's screen. Won't anything larger just get shrunk down? Remember, it's a .lrf that's displayed, not a .pdf.
You got a good point there! I cropped (almost to the edge of the words) and stretched my pdf pages to match the PRS505 portrait page size to maintain the aspect ratio so I thought it will fill the screen. But for some reason, even at 800, the lrf file still showing about 1/4 inch of space on the right and almost 3/4 inch at the bottom. That's why I thought we could go further.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #86
nrapallo

Quote:
You got a good point there! I cropped (almost to the edge of the words) and stretched my pdf pages to match the PRS505 portrait page size to maintain the aspect ratio so I thought it will fill the screen. But for some reason, even at 800, the lrf file still showing about 1/4 inch of space on the right and almost 3/4 inch at the bottom. That's why I thought we could go further.
If you place an empty file called "debug", in the bin directory where PDFRead is located, the images that were used in the lrf will be left behind. Open one and see it that "white space" is there too. Remember, the aspect ratio is retained, so either the top-bottom will have a white border or left-right; but not both!

However, if it is that, check the border to see if there isn't some spot or page number that STOPS the cropping of the .pdf to the text edge.

Just food for thought.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #87
C-3PO

Quote:
If you place an empty file called "debug", in the bin directory where PDFRead is located, the images that were used in the lrf will be left behind. Open one and see it that "white space" is there too. Remember, the aspect ratio is retained, so either the top-bottom will have a white border or left-right; but not both!

However, if it is that, check the border to see if there isn't some spot or page number that STOPS the cropping of the .pdf to the text edge.

Just food for thought.
I tried it with H:600 V:800 (at the same time) seemed to give satisfactory results although there is still a 1/4 inch space at the bottom. I used the debug feature and the png image does fill the whole page.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #88
nrapallo

Quote:
I tried it with H:600 V:800 (at the same time) seemed to give satisfactory results although there is still a 1/4 inch space at the bottom. I used the debug feature and the png image does fill the whole page.

Thanks for all your help.
It would appear, then, that the fault lies in the external code used by PDFRead -- pylrf.py (very low level interface to create lrf files).

There have been no improvements in that code, in over a year, so "don't hold your breathe" waiting for a quick fix. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #89
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Need some help

Hi All,

Will all the great effort on PDFRead, I'm trying to migrate from PDFLRF to using PDFRead as my default tool.

However as much as I try, I cannot get PDFRead to even look as nice as PDFLRF. I've heard some folks had some success in configuring the tool to look better than PDFLRF. However I've not had such luck.

I've attached two examples of what I'm trying to do. What configuration do I need to make PDFRead look as good or better than the PDFLRF output

My device is a SONY PRS505

the VIPg3.lrf is PDFRLF
the vipg3-pdfread-v.lrf PDFREAD
Attached Files
File Type: lrf vipg3.lrf (64.4 KB, 538 views)
File Type: lrf vipg3-pdfread-v.lrf (73.0 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by =X=; 09-25-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammer
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #90
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi All,

Will all the great effort on PDFRead, I'm trying to migrate from PDFLRF to using PDFRead as my default tool.

However as much as I try, I cannot get PDFRead to even look as nice as PDFLRF. I've heard some folks had some success in configuring the tool to look better than PDFLRF. However I've not had such luck.

I've attached two examples of what I'm trying to do. What configuration do I need to make PDFRead look as good or better than the PDFLRF output

My device is a SONY PRS505

the VIPg3.lrf is PDFRLF
the vipg3-pdfread-v.lrf PDFREAD
I don't have a hardware reader so I don't know what you perceive as "better", but with the lrfviewer I do note that the PDFLRF appears more bold/full, but a bit quished.

The PDFRead version probably had edge enhance on or too high and the dilation effect is not as pronounced. Try decreasing the DPI setting to 200, 150 to see if it gets "better".

Also, for text only documents, try working with fewer colors (Colors = 4 or 8) as more grayscale colors may allow more "lighter" shades to be used at the edges (anti-aliasing).