Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #46
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by physdude View Post
Unfortunately, that is not really the reason (the @ is there as they are symbolic links (aka shortcuts)) as I tried with the actual files in the same directory and had the same problem. Thanks for pointing that out though. Am I missing a file called process.py by any chance?
Yes, 'process.py' is required. It would appear that your installation is not correct.

Try to reinstall the code in the src directory in the PDFRead-1.8.2-Source-noGUI-noInstaller.zip in post #1 above. Then try again. BTW, you need to install the 'pylrs' subdirectory as well.

Hopefully this will work.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #47
browningj
browningj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, I am a dummy. The Mobipocket software can be rotate to make the reader into a Portrait orientation. I tried a couple pages last night but the images didn't show up on the device. What settings do you recommend I try?
browningj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #48
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningj View Post
Well, I am a dummy. The Mobipocket software can be rotate to make the reader into a Portrait orientation. I tried a couple pages last night but the images didn't show up on the device. What settings do you recommend I try?
Try using the 'prc-mobi' profile (which is a landscape one), then
choose 'landscape' as the layout mode (or 'landscape-half), then
choose 'rgb' for colorspace, then
choose '256' for colors.

Ensure your Output mode is 'prc'. The resulting .prc will be landscape and you can try rotating it with Mobipocket.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #49
browningj

Well, I tried the settings you suggested to no avail. I even tried all different types of settings too, but the only page that renders in mobipocket is the title page created by PDFRead. I know that images work, since the sample book "Aesops Fables", had a cover image and RSS feeds that happen to have images work. The version of mobipocket installed is the latest you can install on the HPC Pro (Jupiter) platform. Any suggestions, as this device has potential (just not with PDFs, I used to love them, now I am growing to despise them)?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #50
nrapallo

Quote:
Well, I tried the settings you suggested to no avail. I even tried all different types of settings too, but the only page that renders in mobipocket is the title page created by PDFRead. I know that images work, since the sample book "Aesops Fables", had a cover image and RSS feeds that happen to have images work. The version of mobipocket installed is the latest you can install on the HPC Pro (Jupiter) platform. Any suggestions, as this device has potential (just not with PDFs, I used to love them, now I am growing to despise them)?

Would it be possible for you upload (attach) the .prc file that failed to a message here so that I can explore why it fails to render? It could be the underlying .html is broken or the .prc is malformed.

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-18-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #51
browningj

Here is page one (can't upload all of the document due to Distribution restrictions) and the corresponding CMD prompt output with the conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CMD Prompt.JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	13647  
Attached Files
File Type: prc afm51-9.prc (94.3 KB, 1051 views)
Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #52
nrapallo

Quote:
Here is page one (can't upload all of the document due to Distribution restrictions) and the corresponding CMD prompt output with the conversion.
The .prc looks ok, just it's in landscape mode (but that's what I told you to do ).

I was able to extract the images in the .prc and they looked good (except edge level is too high - try 5, 6 or 7 at most; and if DPI is too high, then the dilation looses effect i.e the bolding of the text is less pronounced!)

What exactly was your issue with using PDFRead here again? Is it skipping a page or something? Can you screen capture (Alt-Print Scrn) just the GUI input screen and upload it here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	record-2.JPG
Views:	1067
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	13648   Click image for larger version

Name:	record-3.JPG
Views:	1041
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	13649  

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-18-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #53
browningj

Not sure how to print screen in WinCE, but Mobipocket only Displays the Title Page created by PDFread when you specify Title and Author in the GUI. If I transfer the full pdf (138 pages) only two or three show up, the title, and 1 or 2 blanks.

Maybe there is an incompatability with the files output by PDF read and Mobipocket 4.8.413 for Windows CE HPC. I would love to use the Original PDF, but unfortunately Primer 2.3 and even the old Microsoft PDF viewer run way too slow. I know it is only a 90 MHz MIPS processor with 16 MB of ram, but come on, it should run better than that. I would try Acrobat reader, but adobe doesn't support the old WinCE.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #54
nrapallo

Quote:
Not sure how to print screen in WinCE, but Mobipocket only Displays the Title Page created by PDFread when you specify Title and Author in the GUI. If I transfer the full pdf (138 pages) only two or three show up, the title, and 1 or 2 blanks.

Maybe there is an incompatability with the files output by PDF read and Mobipocket 4.8.413 for Windows CE HPC. I would love to use the Original PDF, but unfortunately Primer 2.3 and even the old Microsoft PDF viewer run way too slow. I know it is only a 90 MHz MIPS processor with 16 MB of ram, but come on, it should run better than that. I would try Acrobat reader, but adobe doesn't support the old WinCE.
The .prc output produced by PDFRead is viewable on the PC with the Mobipocket reader, but may be incompatible on WinCE.

Try the 'html' Output format as this will produce (and leave behind the .html and images used to create the .prc). See if you can then use your favourite .html to .prc program and then transfer that to the WinCE device.

This way you get the splitting/cropping/dilating/enhancing power of PDFRead and spin your own (compatible) .prc ebook.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #55
physdude
physdude began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Yes, 'process.py' is required. It would appear that your installation is not correct.

Try to reinstall the code in the src directory in the PDFRead-1.8.2-Source-noGUI-noInstaller.zip in post #1 above. Then try again. BTW, you need to install the 'pylrs' subdirectory as well.

Hopefully this will work.
Thanks! It now works perfectly!
physdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #56
nrapallo

1,000th file downloaded.... and counting....

PDFRead has hit a milestone of sorts, its 1,000th download.... (hopefully all were satisfied customers users! )
Old 06-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #57
browningj

Well, I tried the PRC in the newest version of uBook 2008 and it worked, so maybe something with Mobipocket for WinCE. I would use uBook, but, it's not free and it also runs way too slow. Any good prc readers out there?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #58
nrapallo

Quote:
Well, I tried the PRC in the newest version of uBook 2008 and it worked, so maybe something with Mobipocket for WinCE. I would use uBook, but, it's not free and it also runs way too slow. Any good prc readers out there?
Try the ones listed in the mobileread wiki E-book_software for a start.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #59
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I finally gave PDFRead a try this evening, and I have to say that I'm impressed. I've only tried it one file so far, but it worked really well. I've got a number of WOWIO books that just wouldn't convert well to my Kindle no matter what. PDFRead handled the conversion with no problems.

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #60
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I finally gave PDFRead a try this evening, and I have to say that I'm impressed. I've only tried it one file so far, but it worked really well. I've got a number of WOWIO books that just wouldn't convert well to my Kindle no matter what. PDFRead handled the conversion with no problems.

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work.

Carl
Thanks, Carl! I haven't had too much work to do lately (improving PDFRead) as the software has matured very nicely indeed!

For the WOWIO books you convert, you may be interested in trying the .html output option as this leaves the .html used to create the .prc along with it's (page) images. Then you can delete/edit out the "ad" images and manually convert it, if you would like.

This can also be accomplished by creating an empty file called 'debug' in the main PDFRead install directory.

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-21-2008 at 12:43 AM.