Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Well, I feel all stupid now..I tried it and double tapping a photo does indeed work!

I'm liking iBooks even more.
Great! I was worried they didn't include that feature in the iPhone version, especially since I'm getting ready to order an iPod touch 5th generation next week.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
It never occured to me to double-tap.

When I long press on a word or image, the little magnifying-glass appears, making the text or image only slightly bigger before you highlight it or whatever.

I thought that was all it could do.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #48
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
This is the screen shot of Blio without book margin (with Blio's sofware margin). The margins and line sapces are smallter than iBooks and I prefer Blio to iBooks.
Blio also squeezes lines together and this is where apps like Bluefire shine, because that particular aspect is customisable. Seems like each app has different things it allows you to customise. I will continue to persist with Blio do a degree, as our local library has plans to acquire some other e-lending software which uses it. I'm so far not that impressed with the one they went with, hardly any decent books at all. Certainly nothing off the best-seller list. I wish they would go overdrive. But thats another issue and off-topic.

I am trying my hardest to adapt to ibooks. Reason? I like the bookmarking between devices, and sometime soon, Stanza will be unusable on the phone. I also like the bookmarking of the Kindle app, as well as the cloud storage of your books. I can see a future time when I will only use those two apps on my iphone and iPad. As it is, I am brinking on deleting Stanza (deep breath!) from my iphone. Its still the best of the bunch but I don't want to get caught short. If push comes to shove and I can't live without it, I have Stanza 3.1 on my retired 3GS which I've downgraded to 4.3, and would use that only as a reading and audio device.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #49
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The past few months I've been using iBooks exclusively and it works for me. I simply can't be bothered trying out different readers/loading them up with ebooks anymore.

I use Aldiko on my Nexus 7.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
As it is, I am brinking on deleting Stanza (deep breath!) from my iphone. Its still the best of the bunch but I don't want to get caught short. If push comes to shove and I can't live without it, I have Stanza 3.1 on my retired 3GS which I've downgraded to 4.3, and would use that only as a reading and audio device.
Lol, I keep 3 devices for Stanza. 2 iPod Touch with iOS4.3+Stanza 3.1 and an iPhone 4 with iOS 5+Stanza 3.2. I'll also get my brother's iPhone 4S with iOS 5+Stanza 3.2 when he upgrades his phone this year.

With Android Market/Google Play being fairly mature in terms of apps nowadays, there's less reason for me to keep using my upgrades for the iPhone. Stanza was really the only reason I stuck with iOS for so long. I might get the iPhone 5S this year but even if I do, that will probably be the last iPhone I buy.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I liked Stanza on my old Touch, but it is now letterboxed on the 4" screen and freezes when I go into settings.

I like iBooks - it's a nice app but I would prefer something with a bit more customisation, preferably one where I can alter text/background colours, margins, etc.

Have you any recommendations?

Thanks
Bluefire supports the iPhone 5 size screen. It doesn't waste so much left/right space on the screen. Both iBooks and Kindle are very poor for having overly wide margins on an iPhone size screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
No one's mentioned Kobo. Kobo supports epub and pdf. Free too.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
No one's mentioned Kobo. Kobo supports epub and pdf. Free too.
Does Kobo support library ePub? How are the margins?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #54
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
AFAIK it supports library epub. I don't know about margins. Since it's free one could always just give it a shot.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
AFAIK it supports library epub. I don't know about margins. Since it's free one could always just give it a shot.
Can one sideload ePub?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #56
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can one sideload ePub?
Via iTunes, sure. I've just bought a Kobo Glo reader but am not that enamoured of the iOS apps.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll still stick by my recommendation for Bluefire Reader for the smaller iOS screens.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #58
Dreamnine
Enthusiast

I got rid off my iPod Touch in the OP but have an iPhone now.

Been using Google Play Books almost exclusively.