Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Kindle Screensaver

I haven't seen this mentioned too often, but I must admit one feature I like is the screensaver of the Kindle that loads a random picture when it goes into sleep mode.

I really like the pictures it has. Kinda reminds me of the artwork I see in Starbucks and Barnes and Noble.

It seems like there are quite a few pictures in the library. Does anyone know if the Kindle actually will go online and download new pictures for the screensaver.

You guys like the screensaver too?
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
What I want to know is how to get pics onto the Kindle that keep the same quality as the screensaver artwork. The screensaver artwork really does use 4 grayscales and looks great. When I have tried to get pics to the Kindle, amazon converts them to .azW (un-DRM'd mobi format) and the pics look terrible. The one big flaw I see in mobi format is how it handles images...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The pictures are stored inside the firmware. There are 34 images, and they're raw 2-bit 600x800 bitmaps.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Maybe someone will come up with a hack that allows us to change those pics out with our own. That would be cool, but probably low on the list of things to hack.

I can't because I'm not smart enough to hack.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
I can't because I'm not smart enough to hack.
Something makes me think that igorsk might be your man.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
gadams999
gadams999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The pictures are stored inside the firmware. There are 34 images, and they're raw 2-bit 600x800 bitmaps.
Igor,

Is the firmware accessible in any way? As a USB Mass Storage device I don't see any sign of the kernel, so I'm guessing it's giving us a chroot'ed view of the documents folders, etc.

I'd love to change up the images too. Time to make a request to Amazon...
gadams999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
phuocle
phuocle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch, iPad 1
Here's how to do your own... I didn't discover this, just re-posting for your convenience:

1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)
3. Create a new folder called “pictures” and a subfolder called “screensavers” under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.
4. Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white. I’ve only used .jpg files. [[Note: I've used .png files as well]]
5. After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.
6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. [[Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list]]
7. While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.
8. On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, you’ll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.
9. Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.
10. When you’ve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

If you want to get rid of your custom screen savers, follow these steps:

1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , go to your Kindle drive under My Computer.
3. If you see a folder called system, skip this step. If you don’t see the system folder, click on the Tools menu & then Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and look at the Advanced Settings. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply, then OK. You should now see a system folder.
4. Under the system folder, you’ll see a screen_saver folder. Delete all the files that are in that folder.
5. After you disconnect from the USB, you may see your last custom screensaver one more time, but after that it will revert back to the pre-loaded Kindle screensaver images.

Last edited by phuocle; 02-07-2008 at 01:20 PM.
phuocle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

This is so awesome! Thanks. I was getting tired of those default images, and now I have about ten family photos instead.

Hopefully I don't get tired of my family... (grin)
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
jrdew
jrdew began at the beginning.

Is the Kindle screensaver supposed to rotate through those images, or just pick one and keep it displayed until you wake it up? Seems like mine is just holding on one image. But I've only had the thing for a day, so perhaps I haven't noticed.
jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
tsgreer

Mine only holds one image as well. I can't get it to rotate through custom pics.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Even with the included screen savers, it doesn't change while it is in sleep mode. (That would take power) It does rotate through different images each *time* you sleep it, but not during the sleep period.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
jrdew
jrdew began at the beginning.

Sounds good to me. Just wanted to make sure my Kindle was acting correctly. I guess old fashioned screen "burn in" isn't an issue with e-ink?
jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
phuocle

That's supposed to be one of the advantages of E-ink... no burn in.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #14
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Even with the included screen savers, it doesn't change while it is in sleep mode. (That would take power) It does rotate through different images each *time* you sleep it, but not during the sleep period.
This is true. Sorry I didn't make myself clear, but with my user images, it doesn't rotate throught the images each time I put it to sleep. It will just use the last image that I exported to screensaver.

But if I use the default screensaver, then it it rotates through the images fine each time I sleep it.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
phuocle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
This is true. Sorry I didn't make myself clear, but with my user images, it doesn't rotate throught the images each time I put it to sleep. It will just use the last image that I exported to screensaver.

But if I use the default screensaver, then it it rotates through the images fine each time I sleep it.
Gotcha... it is random so you may get 2 of the same images in a row. I get that with the built in screen savers. Are you always getting the image with the custom screen saver? If that's the case, you may want to make sure that you're exporting your images properly to the screen saver. Do you get the message that it was successful after pressing Alt-Shift-0 on each picture?

If that's the case, I'm not sure what to tell you. Also, see step #10.