Notices

View Poll Results: The Question.
YEA 30 53.57%
NAY 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Access to Knowledge: YEA or NAY

Greetings! It's time for a fantastically futile?? poll

If a website hosts all knowledge and gives access to everyone, but donates any profit received through the site to relevant charities (educational facilities etc...) Should the site be allowed to exist?

By all knowledge I mean anything that the site wishes to distribute. It would of course be hard to imagine a site hosting all knowledge.

And by profit I mean anything more than is required for the site's administrators to live nicely... I think you get what I mean.

To me this is the only question worth considering in the coming era of widespread ereader adoption.

Last edited by Giggleton; 02-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Only if it has a right to what it offers up.
There is more than enough freely available content that there is no excuse to take what is not freely given.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
All knowledge? ALL knowledge? Absolutely, if someone managed to do such a thing, then by all means let the site stay - but only if it has a well implemented search function.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
It depends on what you mean by knowledge. If we are talking about a collection of facts or original articles about knowledge, then sure. If on the other hand, you are talking about a site that hosts knowledge about what words are contained in which book, and where, then I am going to have to say no (since such knowledge would essentially be the book in question).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
What are you really asking? Knowledge may be freely distributed, but the books that contain the knowledge may not, until the copyright as expired, at least. If as a result of reading a book, I gain the knowledge of the leading export of Bhutan, I can spread this knowledge as far as I wish. I cannot, however, freely distribute the book.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My vote is: Enough with these pointlessly loaded polls already.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Greetings! It's time for a fantastically futile?? poll

If a website hosts all knowledge and gives access to everyone, but donates any profit received through the site to relevant charities (educational facilities etc...) Should the site be allowed to exist?
By profits, do you mean after the CEO, managers, IT personnel, HR and all expenses of acquiring, maintaining, protecting and disseminating this knowledge gets paid?
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
By "knowledge" do you mean "entertainment"? Somehow I just can't think of fiction as "knowledge".
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
As bill_mchale and quantumiguana stated.

If you include all books in their entirety than that is wrong. Many books including fiction contain some knowledge, although few contain original knowledge.

Posting books because they can contain knowledge is just a thinly veiled excuse for .....

And I imagine that all knowledge would mean what government security agencies are doing, who is sleeping with whom, and exactly how you or your neighbours are spending his/her/their free time.

Pretty scary stuff IMO and while I could possibly be morbidly interested on occasion I prefer not to know everything about everybody or have everybody know every thing about me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
The next to the
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I vote no. I believe in some form of intellectual property rights. Otherwise you take away a big incentive for companies to invest in R&D.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, personal correspondence indeed presents a problem, I'm going to modify the original question a bit.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I voted no.

If the content on the site is in the public domain or the person who's owns/created the content specifically says that they want it available for free then I am fine with it.

All that more pirate sites would do for books is give less money to the authors who WANT that money. Give the people a choice; Sell their work or give it away for free, no one but them should be able to decide that.

I'm all for freedom, being forced to give away your stuff is not freedom.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Yes, with the caveat that the representation of that knowledge matters.

Violating copyright laws, propagating hate literature, etc. are not forms of knowledge.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #15
Giggleton
Banned

Do you view copyright laws as part of the package of fundamental human laws, or do you see them as mere spatiotemporal abstractions?

What I mean is I don't believe in copyright so your statement about violating copyright doesn't make any sense to me...

What I do believe in is being able to read whatever I want.