Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #2041
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hey, let's not forget my suggestion! Get a $50 membership at FLP and listen to Simon Vance.
Fair enough! Both are a good way to go. But what's the wait time on the FLP Vance versions? (I'm not an FLP member, but I know that sometimes the wait on things at my BC library can be a bit annoying.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #2042
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Fair enough! Both are a good way to go. But what's the wait time on the FLP Vance versions? (I'm not an FLP member, but I know that sometimes the wait on things at my BC library can be a bit annoying.)
Not bad at all. Post Captain has two waiting per copy; the rest are either available immediately, have no wait list, or have one waiting per copy. Once you've got a membership, that's easily managed.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #2043
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Hey, let's not forget my suggestion! Get a $50 membership at FLP and listen to Simon Vance.
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. Am I able to join from overseas?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #2044
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. Am I able to join from overseas?
Yes; several non US members have purchased memberships. I'm not sure what the procedure is, but if it's not clear from the website, I'll try to help figure it out. Brooklyn is another possibility, but I see they're missing four of the 21 titles.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #2045
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Yes; several non US members have purchased memberships. I'm not sure what the procedure is, but if it's not clear from the website, I'll try to help figure it out. Brooklyn is another possibility, but I see they're missing four of the 21 titles.
It's all becoming too hard and difficult (FLP has two copies, both out and 2 holds, iTunes won't let me buy from the US store, neither will Audible USA) so I've decided to give the Ric Jerrom version a go, which I can buy on the UK Audible site. I've listened to the sample, and it sounds okay, so I've gone for it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #2046
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I've finished The Letter of Marque, 12th in the Aubrey/Maturin series. I'm more tempted than usual to segue right into the next, but I know I'm better off in the long run in resisting. I'm in a lovely little rut while swimming: Wodehouse, Robertson Davies, Patrick O'Brian, then repeat. It's rather Frederick Davidson-heavy, as he's both the Wodehouse and Davies narrator, but I don't count that as a problem.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #2047
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm waiting impatiently for my new Delphin audio device so I can replace my aged iPod. With this, I'll be able to move transparently between my phone and it so I don't lose my place or have to keep switching books.

Currently reading A Personal Devil, by Roberta Gellis, narrated by the inimitable Nadia May (Donada Peters, Wanda McCaddon). This is the second book in the series that started with A Mortal Bane. I'm really enjoying this series, probably as much because it's so very well narrated as because it's a good book.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #2048
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I'm waiting impatiently for my new Delphin audio device so I can replace my aged iPod. With this, I'll be able to move transparently between my phone and it so I don't lose my place or have to keep switching books.
I'm looking forward to your review of this!

I decided that my ancient Aerb still serves its purpose and I like its sleekness, but there's no denying that it's lacking some functionality. But if the price came down and the Aerb went paws up, I could be very, very interested.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #2049
matrim
matrim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Forma, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite (2021)
'Jingo' by Terry Pratchett. Superb narration by Nigel Planer. It's really a great pity that the narrator was changed after book 23 in Discworld series. For me Nigel Planer is hands down the superior narrator, capturing the nuance of the book with excellent characterization.
matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #2050
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I'm looking forward to your review of this!

I decided that my ancient Aerb still serves its purpose and I like its sleekness, but there's no denying that it's lacking some functionality. But if the price came down and the Aerb went paws up, I could be very, very interested.
I'm just looking forward to having it! They were originally promising to ship in July, but they are not going to make that given some problems with a switch that required some last minute changes. Still, hopefully soon. And by the end of the year, they are supposed to ship waterproof Bluetooth earbuds that work with it. But I already have a decent waterproof headset, so I'm not too concerned, though wireless would be nice if actually worked.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #2051
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to Girl Last Seen, by Nina Laurin, narrated by Vanessa Johansson. I'd been looking forward to this one, but it was another disappointment. The protagonist--who'd been held captive and abused for three years as a child--is extremely damaged some ten years later when she's drawn into the case of another missing girl. While the long-lasting damage may have been realistically portrayed, she was an unlikable character and I didn't want to be spending time with her.

Also highly annoying, a revelation fairly early on about the newly missing girl set off loud alarm bells for me, but not for the characters--one of them a police detective, who had to be stupid not to see the significance. It was something that should have set them on an obvious path of investigation, but they were oblivious and went on blithely spinning their wheels.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #2052
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Currently reading A Personal Devil, by Roberta Gellis, narrated by the inimitable Nadia May (Donada Peters, Wanda McCaddon). This is the second book in the series that started with A Mortal Bane. I'm really enjoying this series, probably as much because it's so very well narrated as because it's a good book.
Finished. 5 stars for the narration, 4 stars for the book. OK, I admit, I'm completely side-tracked onto these books. I even went and signed up for Downpour.com so I could get the next in the series, Bone of Contention. Unfortunately, this is the last available read by Nadia May/Wanda McCaddon/Donada Peters. (Matters not to me which name she's narrating under, she's still one of my absolute favourite narrators. ) I'll be reading the last in the series in eBook form, I suspect.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #2053
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

Now, on to Legend, David Gemmell's first Drenai book. I really like the the series. Hopefully, the narrator is a good one. The first several Drenai books have been hitting Audible over the last month. I should know over the next couple of days if I'm going to go on a buying spree or not since most use the same narrator.
The narrator is a good one, I just purchased the next four books by Gemmell - "The King Beyond the Gate", "Hero in the Shadows", "Waylander" and "Quest for Lost Heros".

The narrator, Sean Barrett, is a reader rather than a voice actor. By that I mean that he doesn't have dramatically different voices for the various characters. He varies his voice a bit for different characters, but not dramatically. His voice just seems to match the books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #2054
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Every August I focus on Western themed books. Just finished Silvertip's Trap by Max Brand. I am reminded just how good this writer is. Most of his stuff is in the public domain (see Guttenburg), but Audible also has a few audiobooks that are worthy to listen to including this one.

Interestingly, the William Faust (whose pen name was Max Brand) published the equivalent of 14 novels annually. Faster than Patterson!!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #2055
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I'm going to cry buckets when my one and only i-thing (iPod Classic) dies. Nothing out there has that kind of memory capability. Looked at the Delphin, but it's still only 8 or 16 GB.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations