Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
larka
larka began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Entourage site completely down today (forums, store, etc.)

I am a new owner of 2 PE and just ordered EE... This all through month of April while noticing on www.entourage.com forum that company is folding... Sad. I got used PE first and explored it for a few weeks. It does what I need and some. Since it was used I contacted tech support for de-regestering, and got it fixed yesterday (after 3 weeks!). Meanwhile I bought another new PE at Amazon for 200$ and just was able to register it and upgrade to Ermine last night. I did not upgraded old one yet. Now I cannot get to site, forums etc. from PC or from either device. I was able to get to my section this morning and saw 1 device registered on account and after about 10 am CT NOTHING!. Anybody trying today? I am glad to find this forum and see borisb, obsessed2 and others from native Entourage forum here. Are we moving here if company closes all servers??? I hope I can register all my devices and upgrade to Ermine before everything has vanished... I like setting devices and try new soft and after that extra ones will go to others in my family. LOL
larka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That's not the Entourage site!

Here: http://www.entourageedge.com/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Good catch, Nate! I didn't even notice Larka listed the wrong site!

However, http://www.entourageedge.com and http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php have been slow or non-responsive a lot lately. So far not down completely (thank goodness!)

Checked the enTourage forum a few minutes ago, twice as many lurkers as usual! Is it traffic from Woot! (see Zombie's post) or is something happening with the company???

I like your style, Larka!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Someone should let those on the Entourageedge.com site know that no one can register for the forum. Right after i ordered mine on Woot, I went there and tried; tried again today. The registration is closed -- only existing users can keep chatting (till the end?).

It's too bad, but it's the nature of high tech. Once a product goes into production, its longevity is based on how innovative and well designed and executed it was. Everything that comes after has that static product to shoot at, and parts prices fall as parts capability increase.

Tablets are a very hot market. As the sector attracts attention and sales, so many unforeseen applications are driving the development of better components, like screens, processors and batteries. Ironically, this "race" is like laptops on steroids.

I'm happy I picked up a unit (the PE) at the low end of its price, and with enough capability that it will have niche use value until it fails. No one should expect to find the "ultimate" tablet for a couple of years!
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
Someone should let those on the Entourageedge.com site know that no one can register for the forum... The registration is closed -- only existing users can keep chatting (till the end?).
Interesting. And you're sure it's not just related to server issues? I've had a hell of a time trying to connect the past several days. I think I had a good two solid days of never getting pages to load.

Are you getting a specific message saying registration is closed? (Not just error messages?) The only reason I'm at all questioning is just that I have barely been able to use the forums myself, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a server/traffic issue that's making it look like it's not accepting registrations.

Of course, your scenario is just as likely. . .
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
The issue was resolved by a forum admin earlier tonight.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
Someone should let those on the Entourageedge.com site know that no one can register for the forum. Right after i ordered mine on Woot, I went there and tried; tried again today. The registration is closed -- only existing users can keep chatting (till the end?).

It's too bad, but it's the nature of high tech. Once a product goes into production, its longevity is based on how innovative and well designed and executed it was. Everything that comes after has that static product to shoot at, and parts prices fall as parts capability increase.

Tablets are a very hot market. As the sector attracts attention and sales, so many unforeseen applications are driving the development of better components, like screens, processors and batteries. Ironically, this "race" is like laptops on steroids.

I'm happy I picked up a unit (the PE) at the low end of its price, and with enough capability that it will have niche use value until it fails. No one should expect to find the "ultimate" tablet for a couple of years!
Yes, I've been trying to register for the forum for several days. Thank you for not confirming my suspicion that I am an idiot or crazy!

I have tried everything under the sun I can try with no success. If I pick register, I am automatically put back into the place telling me that I am already registered -- but not for the forum. So if you try to register for the forums as a new member, you get told that you are already registered, but you can't actually register for the forums!
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven1 View Post
Yes, I've been trying to register for the forum for several days. Thank you for not confirming my suspicion that I am an idiot or crazy!
It's a different situation now. Before, it was a glitch that was corrected. Now, it looks like the website may be winding down, since the main page is a note saying the product is discontinued.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Tinah
Enthusiast
Tinah began at the beginning.

Hi, just wanting to indroduce myself...I haven't even received my Pocket Edge in the mail yet (from Tigerdirect.ca) and Entourage is closing!!??? Have I made the wrong choice? Tigerdirect has this device listed as an Android 2.1, but didn't see anything in the Forums about that, only 1.6 and 2.2, so wonder where I stand and what this means to me. Will I still be able to get the Ermine download? but if something goes wrong would I go back to 2.1 or get only a 1.6 with the Golden Dingo...? I was reading the Forum on Entourage and signed up for an account but it won't let me post or even log into the Forum there, so am glad to have found you here although it isn't as easy to navigate here. Not sure if anyone can help me with all these questions. I'm a complete Newbie, but was so excited about this Pocket Edge...

Last edited by Tinah; 05-21-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Tinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

No technology lasts forever -- most don't last very long, so no, you didn't make a wrong choice.
If you get your eDGe soon, it's likely you'll get to upgrade it to 2.2 Ermine (Froyo) but even at 1.6 it's a good deal and a pretty powerful platform. If Entourage goes away to the extent that you cannot upgrade, it's likely that someone will wrestle that upgrade file out of them and expose it.
A lot of the folks over on Entourage Forum are here also, so the knowledge isn't going away, only that interface to it.
Losing the Entourage Market (store) isn't much of a loss. AndAppStore, Slideme (.org), Freeware Lovers... there are lots of ways to get the free Android apps you'll want. You can also download, configure and use an Android emulator to your PC to use the actual Market and get others.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
Tinah
Enthusiast
Tinah began at the beginning.

Thank you "Last of the PE's" for the info. I think this looks like such a unique device.
I have another question...what is an Android emulator? What does it do? and where do I get one? thanks again. I'm a total Android newbie.
Tinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #12
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
For the first time (1:10 a.m. CDT), I am unable to access any part of the site. It is officially May 27, so maybe this is really "it," but here's hoping it's just another glitch situation .
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #13
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

An Android Emulator is software you run on your Mac or PC that looks and acts just like an Android, right down to communicating with Android Market (using the host computer's network/internet connection) and installing and running .apk files (Android apps).
It's nice to have an emulator setup to get free apps from Android Market you cannot get anywhere else (SlideMe, Freeware Lovers, etc.) or to test applications you get from questionable sources (that might have viruses!).

I saved my instructions from the Entourageedge.com forum. I tried to recreated the links. Give a shout if you can't get the needed files.

Step-by-step instructions for use INSIDE the SDK:
When installing the SDK, you'll either need or be prompted to install the Java SDK.
Then go to this site and MAKE SURE you include the FOUR things listed:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

With all the SDK packages updated I see:
Virtual devices
Installed packages
Available packages
Settings
About

I click on "Virtual devices".
This bring up a dialog box prompting for the name for my AVD -- I entered "16em" (without the quotes).
My "Target:" is Android 1.6 - API Level 4
Under "SD Card" (the default), use 2000 (for 2000MB). (I tried the File option but I could not get that to work.)
Then click on Ok.
Copying "system.img" (this one: http://techdroid.kbeanie.com/2009/11...-emulator.html) to the right place is a little tricky because the folder tree
"C:\Documents and Settings\{Your Directory}\.android\avd\{Your AVD name}.avd\"
is NOT accessible if you start at "My Documents" (or whatever your Windows version calls it). You MUST navigate to it starting at the ROOT (C:\). Also, if you downloaded or unzipped system.img to someplace on the C: drive and you drag and drop it to the target folder, it will MOVE it there, so you're only copy will be there.

When you re-run the SDK, it reconfirms all the modules, then prompts you to accept and download everything again. Cancel out of that -- you've got all you need.
Click on "Virtual devices", select the one you built, check "wipe user data" (only the first time), then "start" (and wait. this is a good time to read a book on your eInk display!)
When the emulator runs, it'll prompt you for your Google account (create, sign in etc.) If you choose to do any of that, you'll be prompted to slide the keyboard open, and there is no way you can do that, so select SKIP!
When the app menu comes up, run the Market app. You'll be prompted to sign in with your Google account, but this time, you'll have username and password fields to do it in.

Inside the emulator, here are some keyboard commands to use:
[menu] F2 or Pg-Up should be the PC keyboard equivalent of [menu]! see http://developer.android.com/guide/d.../emulator.html for more details on the emulator, see Emulator Keyboard Mapping

Now the reason the instructions suggested installing file manager and synch programs like dropbox is that anything you "install" to your emulator-based Droid isn't in a regular file or folder (like Download) -- it's buried in the file: userdata-qemu.img. The only way to get those .apk files OUT of your emulator and INTO your PE is to copy or synch them out from WITHIN the emulator! The emulator environment does not have a file manager so you have to add that. The free Astro File Manager has the feature that allows you to "backup" which re-creates .apk files from installed apps. (remember to NOT "wipe user data" the next time you run your emulator.)
After you download (install) apps. using Market, your keyboard's Home key gets you back to the main menu.
If you're already a DropBox user, I recommend creating a NEW account anyway and sharing a folder with your emulator-connected account. That way, you can decide what DropBox content you have synched with your actual eDGE, and you don't automatically get all your DropBox files. If you later (or already) share folders with friends, you won't get their stuff on your eDGe!
So, the procedure is:
Run emulator (don't wipe user data)
go to Market
Install free non-DRM (digital rights management) applications
Return to main menu (still in emulator)
Run Astro File Manager
[menu] Tools
Application Manager/Backup (this produces a list of installed apps.)
down-arrow to each app. you want to "backup" (make an .apk file for) and check the box at right (green check mark)
Then click on the Backup button.
The ESC key is the "back button" -- hit it. This gets you out of Application Manager/Backup
Find SDCARD, go into that folder
Then "Backups", and "apps"
Inside the Apps folder, you'll find the .apk files you backed up.
By doing a left-click & hold, you should see a dialog box that offers you the option to Send.
Choose send, then choose Dropbox. You'll be prompted to select a folder in your Dropbox tree. The file(s) you had selected should be copied into the Dropbox folder.
If the send to DropBox doesn't work, don't panic, the emulator probably lost connectivity to the network stack in the host PC. Reboot the emulator and try again.
Then on your PC or PE, synch the files with Dropbox and run them, copy with a thumb drive or whatever.
If you get "parse error" when trying to install the app(s) on the PE, give a shout here, and we'll try to work through it -- that's the problem I spent two days overcoming.
I hope this fills in some blanks.
You'll probably need to delete backed-up applications, and uninstall downloaded applications from the emulator frequently to keep it from reporting being out of space.
**Don't bother trying to use Astro's SMB or ES File Explorer's LAN function -- the IP address of your emulated Droid is 10.1.x.x and your PC is totally NOT on that network -- the emulator can't read/write your PC's USB0 either which is really lame. Just USE DROPBOX **
Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

Oh, and yes, entourageedge.com appears to be down. We'll see if it comes back, and with what still intact.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
ibllbi
ibllbi began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Registration Without Entourage?

I set up one PE yesterday with no problem and upgraded to 2.2.

I am trying to set up a second but have come to a roadblock.

I am going thru the setup and come to the registration screen. It has hung, given me an Error 30 (something about the network) and now an error 43 (this device is transmitting bad data).

for all three time, it registered at Adobe and then has a problem registering with Entourage Store. In one case I set up the wifi network a second time.

At the moment it is hanging on 'registering for entourage store account'.

If entourageedge.com has gone away, how do I continue?

Can I just install Android 2.2 like I did on the first PE without completing this registration?
ibllbi is offline   Reply With Quote