Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #256
pvenia
pvenia began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-600
hello!
I am also new to the site and to ebooks. I have just bought a Sony Reader but the PRS-600. I want to read Greek Books. I use calibre to create epub files. I transfer the files to the reader,but when I open them the letters that have accents are replaced by the english question mark. Can I follow your instructions to embed a font like Arial, Times New Roman or will I have any problem because you talk for the prs-505 and not for the prs-600?
pvenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #257
kbear
kbear is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvenia View Post
hello!
I am also new to the site and to ebooks. I have just bought a Sony Reader but the PRS-600. I want to read Greek Books. I use calibre to create epub files. I transfer the files to the reader,but when I open them the letters that have accents are replaced by the english question mark. Can I follow your instructions to embed a font like Arial, Times New Roman or will I have any problem because you talk for the prs-505 and not for the prs-600?
I also had this problem with Greek. One way to fix this problem (at least for .txt and .rtf documents) is to use my instructions to upload new unicode fonts to the reader's internal memory.

Apart from that. I think that PRS-505 and PRS-600 are similar enough to be able to use the same tricks. (I own PRS-505).
kbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #258
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
kbear
Quote:
Apart from that. I think that PRS-505 and PRS-600 are similar enough to be able to use the same tricks. (I own PRS-505).
Depends on the tricks actually. They are quite different. There is no known "average Joe" usable unbricking for PRS-600 and there is no working "autorun.xml" trick or javascript based flasher for 600.

People are still flashing PRS-600, however, to include cyrillic fonts (credits: boroda (porkupan) & igorks) among other stuff.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #259
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Hello all,

just a short question:

I had my 505 font-modded according to Valorics worderful guide(props!props!). All LRFs TXTs are rendered in Caecilia. Nice!

But:

I have made epub-files via calibre without any direct reference to specific fonts in the css (I double checked the extracted epub, HTML and CSS).
But theses files are rendered in another font. I think, it is the original "dutch"-font.

How's that possible? Does the epub-renderer use another font-file? If yes. how can I replace it? If not replaceable, how can I create epubs with my beloved caecilia?

Regards!
Thanks in Advance!

ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #260
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
Does the epub-renderer use another font-file?
Yes.

Quote:
If yes. how can I replace it?
If you have actually checked the sticky topics, you would have found this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #261
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
If you have actually checked the sticky topics, you would have found this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102
Thank you VERY much.
I did check the fora, but apparently it was to late or I was not diligent enough.
Ashes on my head

regards
Ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #262
mudskipper
Enthusiast
mudskipper has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mudskipper has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mudskipper has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: pr 505
Font size limit

I've tried to flash a Japanese font and have been successful in replacing just one font. Any attempt to replace more than that causes problems at image creation stage with an out of memory sort of error. Does anybody hereabouts know of a Japanese font that is small enough that they've been able to replace all three fonts?

TIA
mudskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #263
john folkard
john folkard began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Not too certain what you mean by bricking. I have followed all instructions down to the letter. First thing I did was to update to version 1.1.00.18040 and flashed that. This seemed to have worked OK. I have changed Times font to Swiss721 BT Roman and the file name from times.ttf to tt0003m_.ttf. Reflashed using PRSCustomiser.
My 505 will not boot up. it tells me that its starting up, will reset it self and goes into a loop. Turning it off and/or pushing the reset button on the back, having the SD card in or out seems immaterial. I have tried to reinstall the updater from Sony but it tells me the system is already updated. The files in instruction 4 does not seem to exist - Any help please
john folkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #264
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
john folkard

Just in case you havn't found out by now, use this modified FW-Updater.
It will let you install 1.1.00.18040 again.
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #265
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
maybe someone can help:

What I try to do:

I try to mount one of the system fonts (tt0011m_.ttf) on my PRS350 with help of prsp.sh which I managed to work in the end (was a long way...).
I do this that way:

if [ -d /Data/FontsMount ]
then
cp /Data/FontsMount/tt0011m_.ttf /tmp
mount --bind /tmp/tt0011m_.ttf /opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf
fi

Following the guides in this thread, you have to RENAME the font you want to mount in appropriate manner (external name; internal names). Which works for CAECILIA.ttf.

But preparing other fonts the exactly same way (Georgia.ttf, Vollkorn.ttf, CharisSil.ttf, ...) produces just bugs. Which bugs? Opening say a *.TXT-file with 16 pages:
Software jumps to page 16, page ist white without text, switching to page 15 doesn't work.

Reverting back to the modified Caecilia works.
Using ready prepared fonts from Porkuban mostly doesn't work. Of course I use ready prepared fonts namend 'tt0011m_.ttf' with prepared internal names.

So in short:
The 'very detailed guide' does work just for Caecilia and no other fonts. Any ideas?

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 01-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #266
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
maybe someone can help:

What I try to do:

I try to mount one of the system fonts (tt0011m_.ttf) on my PRS350 with help of prsp.sh which I managed to work in the end (was a long way...).
I do this that way:

if [ -d /Data/FontsMount ]
then
cp /Data/FontsMount/tt0011m_.ttf /tmp
mount --bind /tmp/tt0011m_.ttf /opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf
fi

Following the guides in this thread, you have to RENAME the font you want to mount in appropriate manner (external name; internal names). Which works for CAECILIA.ttf.

But preparing other fonts the exactly same way (Georgia.ttf, Vollkorn.ttf, CharisSil.ttf, ...) produces just bugs. Which bugs? Opening say a *.TXT-file with 16 pages:
Software jumps to page 16, page ist white without text, switching to page 15 doesn't work.

Reverting back to the modified Caecilia works.
Using ready prepared fonts from Porkuban mostly doesn't work. Of course I use ready prepared fonts namend 'tt0011m_.ttf' with prepared internal names.

So in short:
The 'very detailed guide' does work just for Caecilia and no other fonts. Any ideas?

A.
Use of SonyFont of Pepak to prepare the fonts. Free, quick and easy.

Download:

http://www.pepak.net/files/e-books/sonyfont-0.01.zip

Web: http://www.pepak.net/e-books/sony-re...ina-jednoduse/
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #267
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Thank you. But no chance!

This tool was appropriate for readers before PRSx50. It doesn't even ALL the required internal renaming of the fonts.

I guess there is annother factor that makes newer reader not working with other fonts. But it SHOULD work. Caecilia does work as substitute font.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #268
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
I read through the guide. I was wondering, I've already dumped so much money into making Arabic fonts work, I hate to buy yet more software, readers etc. Is anyone willing to help me name just ONE font rather than me buy this font software (you can't follow the manual without buying it) to see if I can even make this work? If I can, I'll buy the software.....
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #269
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedaya View Post
I read through the guide. I was wondering, I've already dumped so much money into making Arabic fonts work, I hate to buy yet more software, readers etc. Is anyone willing to help me name just ONE font rather than me buy this font software (you can't follow the manual without buying it) to see if I can even make this work? If I can, I'll buy the software.....
Since you have a nook and not a Sony, this thread is not for you. You'd need a Sony Reader PRS-505 for that guide to work. Since you have a nook, I suggest you ask about getting your Arabic font to work in the ePub section. ePub supports embedded fonts and someone there can help you get it working.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #270
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
Thank you! :-)
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote