Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"Boxed Sets" - Kindle Version

Apparently Amazon is getting the message that readers of a book series want to have all the titles available - and buy them in a set.

http://www.amazon.com/Sookie-Stackho...147739&sr=1-30

This set averages out to $6.39 each - very reasonable.

Please post if you find others - these sets are good deals!

Edit: Now $29.90!

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-01-2009 at 08:47 AM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once Dead and Gone is released, is this box set going to be updated to include it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once Dead and Gone is released, is this box set going to be updated to include it?
Dead and Gone has been out for quite a while. If you mean when it comes out as a MMPB then I'd guess probably, that is if they continue to do the sets for the pbooks like they have the past couple of years.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
dougbiss
Enthusiast
dougbiss doesn't litterdougbiss doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I'm not sure I understand their pricing on this. Seems a bit screwy.

The paperback version of the set is over $13.00 cheaper than the Kindle version?
Why would they do that?

I would hope this is just an oversight on their part and they'll eventually bring the prices closer to one another. I love my Kindle (which I just bought last week), but I'm going to be disappointed if they start charging MORE for the digital versions on things.
dougbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Kindle Edition, September 29, 2009 $51.14 -- --
Paperback, September 28, 2009 $37.38 $37.38 --

Oh dear..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Sony has tons of these (I thought Amazon did too). I've bought a few.

Edit* Oh and the Sony version of this is $38, just not sure if it has the same number of books. If it does, holy crap, Sony wins the price war for once!
http://ebookstore.sony.com/bundle/so...les_Featured_1

*Double Edit It's missing the 8th book, but even then it's still cheaper than the Kindle set. Not the paperback set though I guess.

Last edited by lilac_jive; 09-28-2009 at 06:24 PM.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Sony has tons of these (I thought Amazon did too). I've bought a few.
Yep. Harlequin's great for this...they call 'em "bundles", though, rather than "boxed sets".
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yep. Harlequin's great for this...they call 'em "bundles", though, rather than "boxed sets".
I nabbed the Gena Showalter bundle for Lords of Underworld (3 books, 1 short story) for only $13! Totally worth it. She has her other series in a bundle for the same price and I've been debating on it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Once again, the ideal is represented by Baen. Let's say that you want the latest Honor Harrington Book. You buy the webscription for $15, and that gets you The HH hardback-equivalent and five other books. So let's say you paid $5 for the HH and $10 for the others.

Your $5 usually also brings with it full access to the CD that is bundled with the hardback. This CD includes the entire back set of the HH series. That is 15 books for $5.

Even when you don't hit a month with a CD you can do pretty well. Many times, the monthly other books are compilations of two to three books previously published. You pay about $2 for an omnibus edition that contains two or three books.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Following up on my previous post, I don't see for Sookie $6.xx apiece as a deal. The older books should be free (loss-leaders) or a couple of bucks. In a bundle set, I'd expect to see even more significant discounting. A couple of dollars each for older books, twenty percent or more off for the last couple, and even a ten percent discount for the most recent book.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Following up on my previous post, I don't see for Sookie $6.xx apiece as a deal. The older books should be free (loss-leaders) or a couple of bucks.
Why would they want to do that? The series is gaining all kinds of new readers due to the HBO series without them even trying. I mean it would be nice of course and as a consumer I'd love to see it, but business wise I don't know that it's really in their best interest since the books have been selling so well as they are.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
emellaich
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why would they want to do that? The series is gaining all kinds of new readers due to the HBO series without them even trying. I mean it would be nice of course and as a consumer I'd love to see it, but business wise I don't know that it's really in their best interest since the books have been selling so well as they are.
Good points, and they are probably not hurting for sales because of that. However, if you want me to buy it as a bundle, this is what I expect. If it's going to be more or less full retail I'll just buy them individually.

In p-format you might buy a bundle so you can get a matched set for your shelves. You might not be too upset if you get a few duplicates because the bundle matches. In e-format the bundle itself doesn't have much display value. So the value comes down the cost per book.

Now, if I already have a book or two in the bundle the price of the bundle is really bad unless there are huge discounts. I have to spread the total cost across the six or seven books I don't have -- not across all eight books.

So the deal is only somewhat attractive to me if I haven't read any of the books. BUT, If the series is totally new to me do I want to buy all eight before I read the first one? I could test the waters buy buying the first one standalone, but then the bundle is prohibitive again since it includes one book that I don't want to pay for.

My tradeoff with bundles: I'll risk buying all eight if the deal is good enough. The manufacturer's tradeoff: The bundle revenue per book is lower, but they insure the buyers gets all eight books instead of only a couple of books per buyer.

MLH
Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Good points, and they are probably not hurting for sales because of that. However, if you want me to buy it as a bundle, this is what I expect. If it's going to be more or less full retail I'll just buy them individually.

In p-format you might buy a bundle so you can get a matched set for your shelves. You might not be too upset if you get a few duplicates because the bundle matches. In e-format the bundle itself doesn't have much display value. So the value comes down the cost per book.

Now, if I already have a book or two in the bundle the price of the bundle is really bad unless there are huge discounts. I have to spread the total cost across the six or seven books I don't have -- not across all eight books.

So the deal is only somewhat attractive to me if I haven't read any of the books. BUT, If the series is totally new to me do I want to buy all eight before I read the first one? I could test the waters buy buying the first one standalone, but then the bundle is prohibitive again since it includes one book that I don't want to pay for.

My tradeoff with bundles: I'll risk buying all eight if the deal is good enough. The manufacturer's tradeoff: The bundle revenue per book is lower, but they insure the buyers gets all eight books instead of only a couple of books per buyer.

MLH
Oh, I totally get it and for the most part agree. From a customer perspective I want a great deal in a bundle, but I've seldom if ever seen it. I've seen some bundles (ebooks) that actually cost more than buying the books separately
Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #14
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
[...] Please post if you find others - these sets are good deals!
To respond to the OP's request, here is a bundle/omnibus that includes 3 books in the series and they come out cheaper in the bundle than if they were purchased individually for the Kindle or (new) in paperback:

http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Julia-Gre...4209785&sr=1-2
The Lady Julia Grey Bundle (Kindle Edition)
by Deanna Raybourn

This bundle includes the "Lady Julia Grey" book series which consists of: Silent in the Grave, Silent in the Sanctuary (previously an amazon freebie ... last year, I think?), and Silent on the Moor by Deanna Raybourn

(Post disclaimer: This is an historical romance/mystery series. I am not personally recommending it - I am just reporting on what I've found, in response to the OP's original request. I have noticed that this is a VERY popular series, more so than most "bodice rippers" are.)

ETA: D'oh! I guess this post would make a heck of a lot more sense if I include the prices! Sorry 'bout that, so here goes - the bundle costs $9.99; the individual books on Kindle cost $5.04, $5.04, and $9.99, respectively (see above for series order).

Last edited by Xia; 09-29-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: To add the book prices & fix a typo
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is a Janet Evanovich set, the first three of her "1,2,3" series. When I bought it a year ago, it was $9.99.......

http://www.amazon.com/Plum-Boxed-Set...4232536&sr=1-3
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote