Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Piper, H. Beam: Terro-Human Future History Omnibus. v2, 26 Sep 2008

This is something of a "monster book" - the complete (out of copyright) "Terro-Human Future History" series of H. Beam Piper.

The Terro-Human Future History is Piper's detailed account of the next 6000 years of human history. 1942, the year the first fission reactor was constructed, is defined as the year 1 A.E. (Atomic Era). In 1973, a nuclear war devastates the planet, eventually laying the groundwork for the emergence of a Terran Federation, once humanity goes into space and develops antigravity technology.

The story The Edge of the Knife occurs slightly before the war, and involves a man who sees flashes of the future. It links many key elements of Piper's series.

Most of the stories take place during the next millennium, during the age of the two Federations. Most notable among these novels are the three Fuzzy novels (starting with Little Fuzzy), which concern the recognition of a peculiar alien species as sapient, and the efforts of the two species to learn to live together on the Fuzzies' home adopted world of Zarathustra.

The Federation collapses in the System States War and following Interstellar Wars (a bit of which can be seen in The Cosmic Computer), leading to a lengthy interregnum, during which there is no central human power. Space Viking is set in this chaotic period.

The interregnum ends with the founding of the first Empire. At least five empires rule humanity during the next four thousand years, but only a handful of short stories depict this period. Piper generally portrays these empires as benign, ruled by enlightened despots.

Piper's future history resembles in some ways Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, and was probably influenced by it, especially since both authors wrote for John W. Campbell.

The books and stories in this omnibus edition are:

1. The Edge of the Knife (Short Story)
2. Omnilingual (Short Story)
3. Four-Day Planet (Novel)
4. Uller Uprising (Novel)
5. Naudsonce (Short Story)
6. Little Fuzzy (Novel)
7. Oomphel in the Sky (Short Story)
8. The Cosmic Computer (Novel)
9. Space Viking (Novel)
10. A Slave is a Slave (Short Story)
11. Ministry of Disturbance (Short Story)
12. The Keeper (Short Story)

The items are arranged in chronological order in the "Future History", not in the order in which they were written. Virtually all the books and stories are illustrated, hence the (very) large file. There are two additional books in the series - "Fuzzy Sapiens" and "Fuzzies and Other People" - which are still under copyright and hence not included in this omnibus. In reading order they should immediately follow "Little Fuzzy".

Please note that three of the items in this omnibus:

Little Fuzzy
The Cosmic Computer
Space Viking

are also available as separate downloads in this forum.

Anyway, hope people enjoy this. It's been a heck of a lot of work to create, but I'm very happy with the results. BD coped admirably even with a book of this size.

Enjoy!

EDIT: 26 Sep 08

Completely recreated the book with greatly improved formatting. Uploaded v2.

Previous download count: 318
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This wonderful to have this huge book

I read a lot of Piper's work when I was a kid.

I was fortunate to obtain about 100 old Galaxy magazines and read (what is now considered) classic science fiction, H. Beam Piper being one of those authors.

Unfortunately, I no longer have those magazines, but now I have something a little "lighter."

Thanks.
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should point out that it's not particularly long in text terms - "Bleak House" or "Middlemarch" are both much longer, and they are single books! The file is large only because of all the pictures.

I think I've pretty much mastered the technique of creating "omnibuses" from separate book sources now. I no longer use the "Join Books" tool - it has a habit of chopping books off in mid-text, and can't handle books with pictures where both call them "image1", "image2", etc. What I do is run two instances of BD - one for the omnibus, and one for the book to be added to it. I open the book I want to add in the separate instance of BD, then copy it and paste it into the other instance to form the omnibus. That way all the pictures come across properly even if the originals have clashing names for the image filenames.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I should point out that it's not particularly long in text terms - "Bleak House" or "Middlemarch" are both much longer, and they are single books! The file is large only because of all the pictures.

I think I've pretty much mastered the technique of creating "omnibuses" from separate book sources now. I no longer use the "Join Books" tool - it has a habit of chopping books off in mid-text, and can't handle books with pictures where both call them "image1", "image2", etc. What I do is run two instances of BD - one for the omnibus, and one for the book to be added to it. I open the book I want to add in the separate instance of BD, then copy it and paste it into the other instance to form the omnibus. That way all the pictures come across properly even if the originals have clashing names for the image filenames.
There's another anomoly I've discovered that may be useful for the contributors here: If one goes to OPEN BOOK under FILE - and if the file happens to be an HTML file - then one often doesn't get all the text. Instead, I also do what you do: I'll open the HTML file and then just copy and paste into BD; at least that way, I can be assured that I have everything.

Don

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-09-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
For the Harvard Classics I've often assembled them outside BD and then loaded them to BD by left clicking on the icon of the file and then selecting "Open with ..." as selecting BD.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
For the Harvard Classics I've often assembled them outside BD and then loaded them to BD by left clicking on the icon of the file and then selecting "Open with ..." as selecting BD.
I don't think I explained the problem very well.

Suppose you have 3 HTML books, all with pictures, and you want to combine them all into 1 book in BD.

Each of the three books is in its own folder, and each refers to its pictures as "image1.jpg", "image2.jpg", etc.

ie, we have:

BOOK 1: book1.htm, using "image1.jpg", "image2.jpg", etc.

BOOK 2: book2.htm, using "image1.jpg", "image2.jpg", etc.

BOOK 3: book3.htm, using "image1.jpg", "image2.jpg", etc.

The pictures in each book are different, even though they use the same filenames. This is the standard way that illustrated books are done in PG.

You can't simply combine all three books into 1 without editing the HTML and renaming all the image files to give unique names to each book's pictures.

That's the issue I'm facing when doing these anthologies and, as I say, I've found the best way to solve it is to open each book separately in BD, then, from BD, copy book and "paste" it into a "master" copy of BD in which I'm assembling the anthology. That way, BD renames all the pictures, giving them all unique names.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you for your hard work, Harry T. I have the stories to match some of my audio books now.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
thank you for this..loving a bit of science fiction >D
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Harry, I wanted to thank you for posting this! I wanted to read it because it's the biggest file on my Sony right now and am trying to clear space I was not sure I would like it because I don't read a ton of sci-fi, but I have finished the first two stories and they were excellent. I am completely enjoying this! Thanks so much!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
Is anybody else having trouble with this ebook? There seems to be a problem with the title to Little Fuzzy. There's some sort of weird character after "Little" and that's it.

Calibre's LRF reader can skip past that bad spot, but its converter cannot. I'd love to get it into ePub format, but so far all I get are the first 5 stories. And the "Little" from Little Fuzzy.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote