Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
tamhas
Zealot
tamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Kindle Collections in Calibre

Calibre and I have been getting along swimmingly of late, but there is one issue which still bugs me ... although it is not ultimately that serious. I have books on the Kindle (3 Keyboard) organized into a small number of collections. A couple of these are to park books for later consideration and two are for books that have already been read. The remainder of books are not in collections and are the unread books which are current reading candidates.

Very, very few books (9 of 437) show as being in a collection even though 116 are in the read mystery collection alone. I know there is a tool for creating Kindle collections from Calibre, but what I want is simply for Calibre to recognize the collection assignments that are already there in the Kindle.

Any hope?
tamhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhas View Post
I know there is a tool for creating Kindle collections from Calibre, but what I want is simply for Calibre to recognize the collection assignments that are already there in the Kindle.

Any hope?
Given that it hasn't happened in years I would say there is no hope. Most Kindle users want this too, but Amazon made that very difficult. The Kindle Collections plugin is as close as you are going to get.

Of course it seems that every time I say something in calibre won't happen I am proved wrong in short order.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-09-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added "it seems that"
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
tamhas
Zealot
tamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheese

If it is Amazon making it difficult, why do 9 of them show correctly? 165 are in collections now; the rest is not.

It doesn't sound like the Kindle Collections plugin is going to help at all since the assignment to collections is on the basis of properties not found in Calibre, e.g., Read.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhas View Post
If it is Amazon making it difficult, why do 9 of them show correctly? 165 are in collections now; the rest is not.

It doesn't sound like the Kindle Collections plugin is going to help at all since the assignment to collections is on the basis of properties not found in Calibre, e.g., Read.
I admit ignorance in this area. I have never had a Kindle, partly because I know how much of a hassle collections can be.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can give you a more complete answer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A bit of googling will tell you why it is difficult, this was discussed many years ago when amazon first introduced collections support to the readers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
kazzyj
kazzyj began at the beginning.

I am guessing that you want to be able to tell in Calibre which books you have in your Read collection on your Kindle. I don't know a direct way to do this, but I have a process I follow to make this happen fairly easily.

First I have 2 custom columns in Calibre. One called Read (a Yes\No field) and a Temp column. I use the Kindle Collections plugin to read in the collections from the Kindle. I import mine into the temp column in Calibre and have a saved search to show me just the ones that are in my Read collection. I can then Highlight them and then Bulk edit these to mark them as Yes in the Read column.
kazzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
tamhas
Zealot

More than just read, but wanting to see the classification I have there. I got the Kindle Collections add-in and used the option to import from the Kindle into a custom column and that appears to have worked just fine.

So, if the add-in can do it, shouldn't Caliber be able to do it?