Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #16
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ersatzreifen View Post
So.......

are you saying that it can't be automated?
@Ersatzreifen:

If you can wait a few days, I will have a new release of LC that optionally can map a DDC or LCC to a "genre' and then update a custom column such as "#genre" (or any other custom column that is 'Text and show in the Tag Browser'). LC will come with a pre-loaded mapping table that can be manually changed as desired.

The software is written and fully tested. What will take a few (or more) days is to flesh out the mapping of DDC to its "genre", by which I mean the 'description' of the DDC.

As this random sample shows, there are a lot of gaps that need to be filled in before I release the new version.
Spoiler:

Quote:
"364","Crime "
"364.106","Gangs (criminology) "
"364.131","Treason "
"364.133","Counterfeiting "
"364.138","War crimes "
"364.151","Genocide "
"364.152","Manslaughter "
"364.155","Hijacking "
"364.156","Libel "
"364.162","Shoplifting "
"364.163","Forgery "
"364.164","Sabotage "
"364.165","Extortion "
"364.168","Computer crimes "
"364.172","Gambling (criminology) "
"364.36","Juvenile delinquency "
"364.66","Death penalty "
"365.34","Jails "
"365.641","Escapes "
"367","Clubs "
"368","Insurance "
"368.32","Life insurance "
"368.382","Health insurance "
"368.42","National health insurance"
"368.44","Unemployment compensation "

As for LCC, I have (and will have) no mappings whatsoever.

If anyone has "official" mappings for either DDC or LCC in a spreadsheet file, I would be happy to incorporate them into the mapping table.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #17
Ersatzreifen
Bibliothekar
Ersatzreifen began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab S w/Bookari Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Use the 'Derive Genres' function in either CALM (recommended) or Quarantine And Scrub. DG uses Boolean Tag rules to populate #genre. Add a Tag for each DDC to your books, and a Boolean rule for each Tag in the DG Tag Rules table. Run DG. Done.

Or, if you know SQL, simply upload your csv data into metadata.db using a SQLite tool, then run update queries using that new table matched against each book's custom column table value for DDC.

LCC and DDC are obtained using ISBNs by the Library Codes plug-in. If the web source for LCC has no data for a particular ISBN, then nothing can be done about it except try another ISBN. Regardless, most Fiction ISBNs will find nothing.

DaltonST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
@Ersatzreifen:

If you can wait a few days, I will have a new release of LC that optionally can map a DDC or LCC to a "genre' and then update a custom column such as "#genre" (or any other custom column that is 'Text and show in the Tag Browser'). LC will come with a pre-loaded mapping table that can be manually changed as desired.

The software is written and fully tested. What will take a few (or more) days is to flesh out the mapping of DDC to its "genre", by which I mean the 'description' of the DDC.

As this random sample shows, there are a lot of gaps that need to be filled in before I release the new version.
Spoiler:

As for LCC, I have (and will have) no mappings whatsoever.

If anyone has "official" mappings for either DDC or LCC in a spreadsheet file, I would be happy to incorporate them into the mapping table.

DaltonST
@DaltonST:

I've been keeping the plugin updated, and have used the new feature. It's just what was needed. It makes finding topics much easier and more accurate. Great job! Thanks!

I've also been looking around for "official" mappings for DDC, but no joy. Perhaps a joint effort among volunteers is best at this point.

The mapping table probably ought to be posted somewhere in a way that volunteers can contribute updates. CVS? That would take a load off you and enable a division of labor contribution - valuable, since DDC is not static but changing over time. It would also allow volunteers to contribute whatever they learn about LCC too.

Such a central repository would also provide a "latest version" which LC could optionally download and incorporate into it's database - just a thought!
Ersatzreifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
automation, ddc, genres, templates