Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
js4c
js4c began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Novel
Images too wide for Nook Screen

I am trying to customize the built in comics recipe to only download editorial cartoons. These in in general have a portrait orientation and should be readable on the Nook screen. When I run my recipe and examine the job details, they clearly show that images are rescaled (all less than 600 pixels wide), yet when I view the overall page on my Nook, the images are cut off (they are too wide for my Nook Screen). I opened the same epub file using the E-Book viewer and found out that I needed the screen to be 689 pixels wide in order to accommodate the full image, which is 89 more than the width of the Nook screen. Is there a setting that I am missing that will make the images fit the exact width of the Nook?
js4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do you have your output profile set to Nook? Also make sure there is no left margin for the images
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
js4c

ok... these may be basic questions, but where do I set the output profile to my Nook? In the recipe? I was under the assumption that calibre determined that when I plugged my Nook in. Also, where (or how) do I specifically set margins for images? I did see the margin options under preferences->conversion->page setup but I suspect that this is not the right location. Thanks for all of your help! Calibre is amazing!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4c View Post
...where do I set the output profile to my Nook?
During Conversion. Its in [Convert] - [Page setup] - Output profile

Just select the Nook from the list.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
js4c

In [Preferences]->[Conversion]->[Page Setup] I have selected the Nook for both the input and output profiles. I tied setting the margin to 0 pt from the 5.0 pt that was originally set as default but that didn't seem to help. I have calibre set up to create epubs by default. I tried converting an epub to an epub to see if that worked but I am still having the same problem with images needing 689 pixels to display properly. Is there any other setting I should look at? When I run my receipe, it dosen't ask me to select an output profile so I am assuming its using the overall default one?
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have to process the html your recipe downloads to remove any extra margins. The calibre margin settings only affect overall page margins
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I don't know if this is correct or not, but I find I can just fit an image on to the Nook screen if it make it 720 high and 600 wide
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
js4c

I still am struggling with making this work. My latest attempt was to run my recipe, which is the comics recipe customirzed to select a single editorial cartoon, from the command line using ebook-convert with -d option and --output-profile=nook. When I capture the console output, it reports that it resized the single image calibre downloaded from 600 x 756 to 560 x 706. However, when I look at each of the intermediate output directories (parsed, structure, processed), the image is still in its original size. I tried setting the --margin-left=0 but that didn't help either. I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone give me an example or other pointers? Thanks for the help.

Tags
images, nook, scaling