Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #361
walter_2
walter_2 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 5.3.1
Original Paperwhite cover ...
Hi I have installed the screensaver patch and it is working. Every time I open the cover on my paperwhite it shows a very short time the cover of current book. Is there a way to
a) disable auto poweron - so I have to press button on bottom.
b) have a longer timeout before powering on - so I can see the cover for a longer time.

Thank you
and : great work
walter_2
walter_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #362
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
a) Remove the magnet from your cover, or use a cover without the magnet.
b) It is not a "timeout" it is how fast the Linux OS can resume from "sleep" mode - Can your Windows OS resume that fast?

b) Same answer as (a) - then it will let you stare at your saved screen until you push the button (or bring a magnet close to the lower right corner of the bezel).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #363
fotyc
fotyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Install the jailbreak for the paperwhite 5.3.1 **NOW**.
Before you go even close to disabling the airplane mode!
I'm assuming that was the answer to my question, which item I should do first (pay to turn off ads; update to 5.3.3; install jailbreak). Thanks! So I guess it's: 1) jailbreak; 2) 5.3.3; 3) buy out ads. Do I have to update the jailbreak whenever I update the firmware?
fotyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #364
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotyc View Post
I'm assuming that was the answer to my question, which item I should do first (pay to turn off ads; update to 5.3.3; install jailbreak). Thanks! So I guess it's: 1) jailbreak; 2) 5.3.3; 3) buy out ads. Do I have to update the jailbreak whenever I update the firmware?
For the update 5.3.1 -> 5.3.3 you will have to re-install parts of the jailbreak.
The individual parts of the Kpw jailbreak are linked in the top post list of its components.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #365
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Akirainblack: As usual, PW updates kill every hacks, nothing surprising there . (And, no, unless you do a factory reset/remove the linkss folder, it doesn't kill custom content. At worse, it might move it around to the overflow/discarded folder).

@hanog: Depends. I'd say aim for at the very least half the h/v resolution.
Works with DRM'ed files, yes.

@PeterBr: Remind me to check non-ASCII stuff again later. How Amazon stores it might have changed at one point. AFAIR, it seemed to work as-is on my devices, but I didn't test it much.

The pinfo banner is cached (because it takes a crapload of time to generate). If you made some changes to the script/your pinfo, delete cover_cache/pinfo.png (and possibly any full cover already cached, they won't be refreshed simply because pinfo changed) .

@KillerKlown:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note for Kindle Special Offers Users:

This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.
@hanog: It *might* be choking on your pinfo string. What do you end up with when the device goes to sleep? See my previous answer to @PeterBr re: high-ASCII/cache.

@AllenH: Forgot to update the info.txt files, so, that, at least, is normal . What do you end up with on screen when the device goes to sleep?

@PeterBr: About the mixed mode: theoretically possible, but a bit messy with the current design .

@urbster1: You did something wrong, or the install failed. You should *never* end up with the default screensavers after a successful install.

@AllenH: Nope, it will fallback the 'old' way of ID'ing a book (*fqp sha1 hash) if there's no ASIN. (And, yes, it relies on a proper date/time setup [ie. the 'recent' sort needs to be consistent], so that might explain the issues you were having )
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #366
fotyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
For the update 5.3.1 -> 5.3.3 you will have to re-install parts of the jailbreak.
The individual parts of the Kpw jailbreak are linked in the top post list of its components.
OK, so: 1) jailbreak 2) 5.3.3 3) update jailbreak 4) buy out ads. And then with every firmware update, update jailbreak... Have I got it now?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #367
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotyc View Post
And then with every firmware update, update jailbreak... Have I got it now?
We can't set any rules or guidelines for future updates, since we do not know what they will be.

But for 5.3.1 -> 5.3.3 we do know that parts of the original jailbreak do not survive.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #368
urbster1
urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Touch
Alright, I checked all my images for compatibility issues. Somewhere in uninstalling and reinstalling, all the images had become blank empty .PNG files. So I replaced those with my own custom 800x600 grayscale PNG issues and restarted. Now it's working perfectly! Excellent

Last edited by urbster1; 01-26-2013 at 02:09 PM.
urbster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #369
fotyc

Just did all the installs, updates, installs, buying out of offers, etc. etc. and I have the screensaver/last cover thing running. It looks great! But it doesn't ask me to swipe to wake my kindle anymore so the screensaver only shows for about a second? Is that right or is there a setting I need to tweak to get it to act like that again? Thanks to all the intrepid developers who like to give us control of our devices.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #370
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The "swipe to unlock" is a "feature" of the Special Offers only, not of the normal screensavers.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #371
MrFritz
MrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The "swipe to unlock" is a "feature" of the Special Offers only, not of the normal screensavers.
I too miss that feature. I hope that it can be incorporated into this hack in the near future.

I'd also love to see the date/time updating automatically.

Anyway, you guys did a great job. Many thanks & kudos to all.

Fred
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #372
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@MrFritz: Nope, it probably won't, sorry to burst your bubble .
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #373
ktech
ktech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
So I've been perusing these forums for a bit trying to find the answer to my question, but I can't seem to, so apologies if this has been asked already.
I have a Kindle Touch (non-special offer version) running 5.1.2, and I had it running Yifan Liu's screensaver hack; then it apparently decided to update itself and all screensavers ceased to function. When I press the power button, it locks the screen to touches but does not change what is displayed.
I performed a factory reset (Menu->Settings->Menu->Reset Device), re-jailbroke it successfully and tried installing the screensaver package at the beginning of this thread - during boot, the Kindle displays the "checking screensaver" text and all of the files seem to be where they should be when I'm browsing the Kindle, but when I press the power button, it still just locks the screen and does not display anything differently.

I'm at my wit's end... any thoughts on stupid mistakes I might have made, or what I am doing wrong?
ktech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #374
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ktech: Uninstall yifan's (old) screensaver's hack.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #375
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
@walter_2 @fotyc .. You might want to consider putting in a device passcode to make up for the missing swipe-to-unlock and (too quick) wake time. This works well for me in cover+pinfo mode.
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch