Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
antd
antd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Help!!! Just cant make my mind up

Please help..

Just been in PC World almost bought the £111 kindle then noticed the Sony PRS-350 ...

Came home and found that the Sony is being sold by Tesco for £119...

Now I cant make my mind up.....

Anyone had both? or any views / help would be appreciated

Last edited by antd; 05-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.
antd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have both. I prefer the Sony PRS 350 because I like the touch screen, the dictionary ease of use & the small size. The size is easier to pop into my purse & carry around. I find it easier to use except for the ease of getting books (download from computer). The Kindle makes it almost too easy to get books because of the Wifi. I don't care for the keyboard & page turn buttons on the Kindle because I accidentally hit them way too much. You have more font sizes & fonts to choose from. And the Amazon store sometimes has more selection of certain types of books.

Other than what I mentioned I think both readers are nice. All I can say is try them both if possible. You can get the Kindle & try it. If you don't like it then return it. I'm not going to be one of those people who knock one or other product. No reader is perfect. The reader for you is the one you find easiest to use.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Question #1: Do you currently buy many/most of your books from Amazon? If so, this is a no brainer, go with the Kindle. If not, the choice is a bit more complex, but you won't go too far wrong with either. But I agree with Pomtroll - individual preference will be the deciding factor. You can always buy the Kindle and decide if you like it. If not, send it back and get the Sony.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
antd

Many thanks for the reply...

The Sony did seem a lot more compact. The keyboard on the Kindle does seem to take too much room. But, all the reviews of the Kindle say that it is the standard by which the others are judged..

Any other comments are very welcome...
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Take a look at the specs for both of the devices and ask yourself what you want. You are not likely to get everything you want but you should be able to prioritize the features and use that to make a decision.

Both are good readers, you will enjoy either of them.

Obviously I am a Kindle owner. When I was buying my first e-reader (well gifted but searching) the only options I knew of were the Kindle and the Sony. I ended up with the Kindle because I prefered the 3G and the larger bookstore.

If I was asked today, I would still prefer the Kindle (obviously, I have bought the DXG and the K3). Why? I love Amazon's store. I love the 3G/WiFi option. I like the keyboard, it is great for searching and using the web browser. I like the price.

I wouldn't choose a Sony because I think they are too expensive. You are comparing a 5 inch reader to a 6 inch reader and the 5 inch reader is slightly more expensive. That, to me, is just silly. I don't care for the touchscreen. I seem to be in the minority but I am not a huge touchscreen fan. The idea of a touchscreen on my book makes me shiver. It is a personal preference. There is a time and place for a touchscreen, phones and tablets I get, not the page of my book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
moved thread to "which one should I buy" section.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by antd View Post
Many thanks for the reply...

The Sony did seem a lot more compact. The keyboard on the Kindle does seem to take too much room. But, all the reviews of the Kindle say that it is the standard by which the others are judged..

Any other comments are very welcome...
The reviews are by people who don't always know best. The best reviews are from actual owners.

The 350 does have a keyboard. But it's an onscreen keyboard. Do you have eBooks available from your local library? If you do and they are in ePub, the Kindle isn't compatible.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
antd

Again, Thanks for the replies..

My mind was set until I saw the Sony
I know the Sony is 1" smaller, but the Kindle (because of the keyboard and the screen surround) appears a LOT larger...

I am not interested in th 3g Kindle the £111 would be OK. I am happy to connect to the Kindle with the USB or wifi.

I am never really convinced by touch screns ( they always seem very hit and mis when it comes to the accuracy) UMMnnnn,,,,

I just dont know......
Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have no trouble with my touch screen. BUT I think you should go with the Kindle3 since you are leaning that way. The size with the keyboard is really not that much of an issue. You get used to just about any size. I think you will be happy with it.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And you will have 30 days to return the Kindle if you decide you don't like the size.

If you saw the Sony and that was enough to cause serious doubt then I would suggest going with the Sony.

Your best bet is to ask what it is that you like about the Kindle and will the Sony do those things? If the answer is yes, then go with the Sony. If the answer is no, then ask yourself what about the Sony made you think that you might prefer it to the Kindle. Are any of those things deal breakers? If no, then buy the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
antd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I have no trouble with my touch screen. BUT I think you should go with the Kindle3 since you are leaning that way. The size with the keyboard is really not that much of an issue. You get used to just about any size. I think you will be happy with it.
Thats the trouble... I was going with the Kindle .... But after seeing the Sony I just cant decide...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have both a Kindle and a Sony PRS-350. If I had to keep one, it would unquestionably be the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
antd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have both a Kindle and a Sony PRS-350. If I had to keep one, it would unquestionably be the Kindle.
Wow... That was very straight

This should be interesting...
Why the kindle???
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by antd View Post
Please help..

Just been in PC World almost bought the £111 kindle then noticed the Sony PRS-350 ...

Came home and found that the Sony is being sold by Tesco for £119...

Now I cant make my mind up.....

Anyone had both? or any views / help would be appreciated
You bought it or you are going to? ... because your device list shows Kindle 3.

Please check 10 books on both ebook stores, same titles. Compare prices and availability. The online store which gave you more hits, should be a guideline about what device you should get.

In my opinion, an ereader is just the tool. If you cannot find the titles that you want on their main ebook store, the device or the ebook format means nothing. I made that mistake one time with the Nook 1st gen ... I sold it and bought the Kindle because I was not able to find the titles that I like and read on B&N online store.

If you ask me? Kindle. Why? great battery life, and backed up by an awesome online bookstore plus fantastic customer service.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
antd

Does the 30 days return apply to KIndles bought from Currys or PC World??