Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
YoYo
YoYo began at the beginning.

Device: Astak ezreader pocket pro
Problems installing Calibre 8

I was so excited to upgrade to the new Calibre and downloaded it today. However once I installed it I could not restart my computer- Windows 7. I had a terrible time and in the end did a system restore to get it going. Now my Calibre is totally corrupted and won't open at all. I would like to start again with 8 but I am a bit nervous to do so.

Any suggestions?
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
I was so excited to upgrade to the new Calibre and downloaded it today. However once I installed it I could not restart my computer- Windows 7. I had a terrible time and in the end did a system restore to get it going. Now my Calibre is totally corrupted and won't open at all. I would like to start again with 8 but I am a bit nervous to do so.

Any suggestions?
you did something wrong .8 works just fine for me.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
@YoYo: You can uninstall calibre (your library and configuration will not be deleted) > restart (not necessary,but just in case) > install calibre 0.8 again.
For details, please read this carefully: calibre is not starting on Windows?

Last edited by atjnjk; 05-07-2011 at 02:16 AM.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
YoYo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjnjk View Post
@YoYo: You can uninstall calibre (your library and configuration will not be deleted) > restart (not necessary,but just in case) > install calibre 0.8 again.
For details, please read this carefully: calibre is not starting on Windows?
Thanks, I did as instructed and now it seems ok on my user but still not working on the other user. How do I fix it just for his user?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
Thanks, I did as instructed and now it seems ok on my user but still not working on the other user. How do I fix it just for his user?
If it is working for one user and not another that almost certainly maens something is messed up in that users calibre configuration settings.

If you go to C:\Users\problem_users_username\AppData\Roaming you should see a folder called 'calibre'. If you rename (or delete) this folder that will clear all custom calibre settings for that user. It should then be possible to launch calibre for that user, go through the Welcome wizard to locate your calibre library and carry on from there.

Note that you will have to have Windows Explorer set to allow you to see hidden files/folders to navigate to the path given above.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
YoYo

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If it is working for one user and not another that almost certainly maens something is messed up in that users calibre configuration settings.

If you go to C:\Users\problem_users_username\AppData\Roaming you should see a folder called 'calibre'. If you rename (or delete) this folder that will clear all custom calibre settings for that user. It should then be possible to launch calibre for that user, go through the Welcome wizard to locate your calibre library and carry on from there.

Note that you will have to have Windows Explorer set to allow you to see hidden files/folders to navigate to the path given above.
Thank you so much, you are wonderful! That totally fixed it.