Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
3rdDegree
3rdDegree began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Number of pages left in chapter not working

I have some (legally bought) Kindle books that I am converting to epub so I can use in the iBooks application rather than the Kindle app. There is no reason for the conversions except I much prefer the iBooks application - particularly the number of pages remaining in chapter function. But with the exception of one book (The Passage) this has never worked.

I convert the books to ePub and it seems to find the Chapters fine (in that it produces a page break before them). But it never produces a TOC. Is this the reason the "remaining number of pages in chapter" function doesn't work? Does that function use TOC? The reason I ask is that the only difference I can see between the book(s) that work and the ones that don't is that the ones that work have a Table of Contents. Also, some searching here hinted that might be the cause.

Many thanks
Martin
3rdDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
That is the most likely cause, since without a TOC ibooks doesn't know where the chapters start/end.

Here's a tutorial on getting Calibre to detect/build a TOC:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122222
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
3rdDegree
3rdDegree began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.
3rdDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
jackibar
Enthusiast
jackibar began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdDegree View Post
I have some (legally bought) Kindle books that I am converting to epub so I can use in the iBooks application rather than the Kindle app. There is no reason for the conversions except I much prefer the iBooks application - particularly the number of pages remaining in chapter function. But with the exception of one book (The Passage) this has never worked.

I convert the books to ePub and it seems to find the Chapters fine (in that it produces a page break before them). But it never produces a TOC. Is this the reason the "remaining number of pages in chapter" function doesn't work? Does that function use TOC? The reason I ask is that the only difference I can see between the book(s) that work and the ones that don't is that the ones that work have a Table of Contents. Also, some searching here hinted that might be the cause.

Many thanks
Martin
Martin, did you ever figure this out?! I've been searching for the answer to this dilemma for over a week now and can't find out what iBooks is looking for to consider a new chapter! In my case, it is thinking all the SUBsections of each chapter are new chapters. I can't figure out if it is going by the TOC.html, the TOC.ncx, or the header tags themselves (h1, h2, h3...) - I want it to use the h1 and h2 but leave the h3 and h4 tags alone!
jackibar is offline   Reply With Quote