Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Firmware Update on Wifi only K3

Hi there, two quick questions. My Wifi K3 is running 3.0.1 and it doesn't seem to upgrade automatically. How can I upgrade it to 3.0.3? And BTW, is it worthwhile?

thanks!
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

There are some bug fixes for 3.0.2 to 3.0.3, not sure about from 3.0.1

Basically you download the correct firmware and copy it you root directory on the Kindle, then go to the home screen, press the menu key, and select "Settings." Press the menu key again, and then select "Update Your Kindle."

Wait while it does it's thing and you should be all set!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Just wanted to add that if the original poster has a recently-purchased Kindle 3 Wi-Fi with firmware version 3.0.2 (553210206), and has difficulties updating the firmware, s/he should take a look at this other thread on this forum:

K3 update 3.0.3 won't install, other updates will

Kindle Support told one customer with this problem:

I'm sorry to inform you that, you will not be able to update the software version of your Kindle to the early preview 3.0.3 version because the software version of your Kindle already has all the latest features and performance enhancements included in 3.0.3. This software version came pre-installed on your Kindle and is not available to other Kindle users. So you don’t need to update the software version of your device further at this time with 3.0.3, but you will be able to install all future software releases.

This is the case with me (I received my Kindle 3 Wi-Fi a week ago), and I'm not bothering to struggle with this update. Will wait for 3.0.4 to come along and then worry about it!

Last edited by chamekke; 01-24-2011 at 12:50 AM.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post

This is the case with me (I received my Kindle 3 Wi-Fi a week ago), and I'm not bothering to struggle with this update. Will wait for 3.0.4 to come along and then worry about it!
It's strange that there would be this kind of discrepancy in firmware. I received my K3 two weeks before you and apparently it came with a different firmware version under the same name (3.0.2).

I upgraded to 3.0.3 today and one thing I checked and am now relieved about is that I can now log onto mobileread.mobi, which for whatever reason, I couldn't enter my user name and password into the fields before. I also couldn't search on Gutenberg's mobile site, but thankfully, now I can.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

It's strange that there would be this kind of discrepancy in firmware. I received my K3 two weeks before you and apparently it came with a different firmware version under the same name (3.0.2).

I have no idea why. For what it's worth, I'm in Canada - ordered my Kindle on Dec. 29 ("after Christmas") and it was shipped on Jan. 13, arriving on Jan. 17 (all Canadian/international orders seem to be looking at a wait of 2-3 weeks at the moment). So it probably left the warehouse well after yours did.

The Wi-Fi model is supposed to be the same in both the U.S. and Canada, BUT... the pool of available Kindle 3 Wi-Fi models (or at least, those set aside for Canada) may be different, since orders from here always involves a wait of 2-3 weeks instead of 2-3 days. I honestly don't know if that's significant or not, but I did notice that a lot of the people in the thread I referenced seem to be outside the U.S. - either in Canada or Europe.

Anyway, I have no complaints with the functionality of my Kindle so far, so I'll probably just wait for 3.0.4 to come along. My post was mainly to save the OP some frustration in the event s/he received that particular model and firmware version and experiences the same difficulties other people did.
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
My post was mainly to save the OP some frustration in the event s/he received that particular model and firmware version and experiences the same difficulties other people did.
The OP has a Kindle with 3.0.1 so it should be fine to upgrade as nobody has reported any special builds of that.

Its not doing an automatic upgrade but that may just be because 3.0.2 never left preview status before 3.0.3 was released which has been stuck in preview status ever since.

guiyoforward - You should upgrade to 3.0.3 by downloading the Kindle 3 WiFi (B008) firmware from the Amazon site and following the instructions. There have been many fixes and its usually a recommended upgrade as 3.0.1 had a few showstopper bugs.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
chamekke
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The OP has a Kindle with 3.0.1 so it should be fine to upgrade as nobody has reported any special builds of that.
Oh dear, you're right. Sorry about that. For some reason I skated right over that very salient fact.

<emilylitella>Never mind!</emilylitella>