Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Anybody still using a rooted T1?

Foreword: I'm quite happy with my Sony Readers, so suggestions that I buy something else will be ignored. Cheers!

So, I am currently running the modified home screen and reader on my PRS-T1 but am considering rooting.

Is anybody still using a rooted T1?
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #2
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I de-rooted my reader about a year ago in exchange for the newest version of the firmware.
The biggest issue I had is that there are few apps that still function on such an old version of android.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I de-rooted my reader about a year ago in exchange for the newest version of the firmware.
The biggest issue I had is that there are few apps that still function on such an old version of android.
Good point. Really all I want is a solitaire game.

What benefits does the newest official firmware have?
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Newest offical firmware gives access to the Kobo store on the Sony T readers.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:02 AM   #5
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
I just dusted mine off after breaking my Kobo Aura HD; I'm not super impressed with any of the readers on the market at the moment, and I'm hoping if I can hold out a little while, someone might finally release one with all the features I desire...

That being said, my experience with the T1 over the last couple of days is that it's buggy as hell, so I might not be able to hold out that long...
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the T1 is quite buggy. The T2 is much better and no shiny plastic.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Agreed the T2 is way better. I have one I might root.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I find lots of apk files that work on 2.1. Depends what you want it to do I suppose. I prefer the Nook ST anyway.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #9
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
Does anyone have any advice on what the best course of action with my reader is?

It's currently on firmware version 1.0.05.11130, should I update to the latest version or root it?

If I update it, will I still be able to root it? I don't really have a lot of interest in installing apps, but I wouldn't mind adding Pocket. If it's not possible to root the latest version, is it possible to downgrade to an older version of the firmware?

If I root it, is there an alternative reading app that is more stable/less buggy?

Was there ever a fix for the double-page-turn issue?
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Yes, the T1 is quite buggy. The T2 is much better and no shiny plastic.
Just curious, what kind of bugs? So far I haven't run into any bugs on my "new" T1, but I'm well aware that I haven't used it for long.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:29 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i, Podius View Post
Was there ever a fix for the double-page-turn issue?
I may be running into to that. I thought I had a sticky switch or I was holding it down too long.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard

Sometimes the T1 just slows down for some reason and as AFAIK its unfixable.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just curious, what kind of bugs? So far I haven't run into any bugs on my "new" T1, but I'm well aware that I haven't used it for long.
My T1 eventually started locking up when using the dictionary. This didn't happen until I'd been using it for a few years though.

I had the double page turn issue only occasionally.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

Mine had issues after I'd delete a book. I had to reboot it often which took care of any issues it had, but between the shiny plastic and the constant rebooting, I was very happy to get my hands on a T2.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Mine had issues after I'd delete a book. I had to reboot it often which took care of any issues it had, but between the shiny plastic and the constant rebooting, I was very happy to get my hands on a T2.
So far I haven't had those issues, but I haven't put a lot of books on the T1 yet either.