Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
ru_bianca
ru_bianca began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Putting ebooks on SD card to read on PRS-505

I've been having problems with my Sony PRS-505 so decided to format it and start all over. I've got an SD card, hoping to put ebooks on it and put ebooks on my PRS-505 to read that way. I formatted it FAT32 and now my Sony Library is seeing it and letting me transfer ebooks to it. But I'm thinking I'm still missing a step. I formatted it then copied and pasted ebooks to the SD card with no problems, but when I put it in the ereader and turn the ereader on, it doesn't show any sign of seeing the SD card.
Am I still missing something?

Bianca
ru_bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm pretty sure that the Reader will only read SD cards that are formatted as FAT, not FAT32. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It reads FAT32 just fine. You can't use full capacity of SDHC with FAT16 anyway.
If you have any issues with the card not being recognized, try the SD formatter.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
igorsk--

Thanks for the correction!

dordale

Last edited by dordale; 10-06-2009 at 06:35 PM.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Because my computer loves to mess with me, I can't hook my mother's 505 to the computer. So we use SD cards. I've had to remove all the books a couple of times, and I ran into the same problem you did once. Here's what I did to solve the problem:

1) Erase everything you've got on the card.
2) Put the card in the reader and turn the reader on. It may take a moment or two while it looks to see if there's anything on the card, but while it's doing that, it's also formatting the card so you can use it with the Reader.
3) Turn the reader off and take out the card.
4) Add books to your card using drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer. There should be a file marked "Sony Reader" on the card. That's the folder to put your books in.
5) If you want to add collections, then you would open Sony Library and add collections.

There's probably a simpler way to do it, but that's my solution.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert